Ask the person after you a random question

Photography.

If all your clothing had to be limited to only one color, which color would you choose?

Black is the least bad option, but it’s boring without a splash of colour!

Inspired by today’s local weather (high 95F / 35C - well into “too hot” for me): how hot is too hot?

Indoors, 78 is pushing it. Outdoors, I'm okay with anything up to about 90 as long as there's some shade.

How cold is too cold? (Indoors, I don't like it less than 75-76... outdoors, 65 is "cool", below 50 is downright cold! Yes, I'm a Floridian.)

Indoors, 78 is pushing it. Outdoors, I'm okay with anything up to about 90 as long as there's some shade.

How cold is too cold? (Indoors, I don't like it less than 75-76... outdoors, 65 is "cool", below 50 is downright cold! Yes, I'm a Floridian.)
It's too cold when ice stops being slippery. (This happened to one of the polar expeditions. They had trouble moving the sled loaded with their supplies.)

Favorite ice cream flavor?

Raspberry.

Favorite flavor of soup?

Local Mediterranean restaurant’s lentil soup. Delish!

Ever feel deja vu?

Yes, when I'm halfway off to sleep.

Do you have synesthesia at all?

Generally, no... not that I've noticed. But, if you whacked me upside the head hard enough, I'd probably see it.

How many LCD screens do you have in your home? (I'm counting at least 24 right now, crazy!)

I got to 30 before realizing that all of the guitar tuners have LCDs and gave up. I may beat your 24 just with humidity sensors.

How many general purpose computers do you have in your home?

I have 8 PC/laptops, 5 tablets, 5 smartphones that I currently maintain (plus many semi-working ones in the garage awaiting disposal).

How did you meet your best friend?

Wow... my LCD count is now up over 38. And with tuners (how did I forget?), better make it 40! LCD screens are EVERYWHERE!

My best friend has to be my wife these days. We met in high school. I was a senior, she was a freshman. We both went our own ways, college, marriages, divorces... and got back together 6 years later. Mushy, huh?

What is the absolute oldest man-made thing that you own?

A UV-blue stuffed moose that I had since age 5.

Creepiest horror novel or movie you've seen?

Bambi (Can't believe kids were the target audience.)

What's the longest movie you've watched?

Gone with the Wind.

Do you like sparkling water? If so, what brand and flavor is your favorite?

Nope. Still water for me. Love a berry or citrus infusion.

When did you first connect to the internet (or an internet precursor)?

Nope. Still water for me. Love a berry or citrus infusion.

When did you first connect to the internet (or an internet precursor)?

First connect to Internet in 1987.

When did you first start home boardband Internet service?

Cable internet, 1998. Prior to that max 56k dial-up! (and first modem was 1200 baud in 1989)

When was the last time you used a paper map to navigate?

Back then home broadband was pretty expensive; I think mine was $150/mon for DSL with 128kbps down stream and 64kbps up (my company paid for it otherwise I wouldn't have it). It was the days of CLECs. Prices quickly fell; being $75/mon around 2000/2002 time frame with cable becoming cheaper and faster than DSL. Before that I used NetZero (a free dialup) with 56k baud (now, that's baud rate, which is less than bitrate). Prior to NetZero, the only way to connect to the Internet from home was dialing into my company and waiting for a callback to connect. I was too cheap to pay for any Internet "on-ramp" as Al Gore put it. First modem was also a 1200baud modem in 1986; a few BBS to dial into but mainly used to dial among friends' computers.

The last time I navigated with paper maps was 3 years ago just before the pandemic lockdown. I do some offroading and I still use paper maps vs downloading the trail maps into a GPS system.

When did you get your first cellphone?

Hasn’t happened yet; likely never will. (And, yes, there is life without a cellphone.) :)

If you could only own either a cellphone or a TV - but not both - which one would you choose to keep?

I really don't watch that much TV, and a cell phone is basically an internet-connected computer that you can take anywhere. The "phone" is way more useful. I'd have to choose that. But, really... I'd like to have both a phone and a laptop (for a slightly larger screen). With that, I'd not miss the TV at all.

What are three pieces of advice did you not follow when you were younger that you now wish you did?

Top Bottom