At what age did you get your first uke?

the one conclusion i draw from this thread is that
the UU boards are inhabited by old farts :)
Ha, ha, you mentioned the word 'farts' :D

Sorry, I'm loopy from inner ear medication and my sense of humor is even more childish than usual

Last edited:

35 years after putting down a guitar…

s2

When I started playing uke the Christmas before last, it seemed as if I were reborn a uke player. So I was 0 when I started, now i'm 16 months in Uke years.

I bought my first uke at the young age of 48 in 2004. I also got married for the first time. It's been nothing but beautiful music ever since.

41 for the uke. Though, I’ve played guitar since 12 years old. I also play melodica and took many grades of Royal Conservatory Piano in Canada. I switch often between piano and uke. I love the uke for travelling. I have a guitar and was learning Django jazz but I mainly stick to piano and the uke.

Last edited:
72, at the start of lockdown.

(added info in light of the following post) started at 10 with clarinet through high school, guitar in high school, big gap- tried classical guitar multiple times starting at 40, but had to quit each time due to development of tenonitis in fretting hand and arm, last attempt in 1998.
So far, no issues with the hand and arm playing 2 different tenors, a concert, and a long neck soprano (up to 3 hrs per day total, about 20-25 minutes at a shot).

Last edited:
72, at the start of lockdown.
For me it was 38 as reported earlier but I would like others to also tell if this was their first instrument? I started learning music from scratch that year, starting with piano, recorder and settling on uke. Please do add your input as well.

Top Bottom