"Avoid The Gap" -- ????

tm3

Reaction score
I just did James Hill's "Ready, Steady, Ukulele" course and while I'm not a rank beginner (close, but not quite) I learned enough to find it well worth the princely sum of $1 that I paid for it. In discussing buying one's first ukulele, he made what I thought was an interesting comment.

He advised buying the best uke one can afford (I've heard that before), but is of the opinion that one should avoid the "gap" in the market which he defines as the difference between the highest priced entry instruments (about $300-400) and the lowest priced high end instruments (about $800). He goes on to say that a $500 uke is not that much better than a $300 uke and a large difference won't be seen until entering the high end of the market.

As an owner of a $100-ish uke I certainly can't speak from experience but I had assumed based on what I've heard that the biggest jump in quality comes between the entry level and the mid level, with the high end not that huge a jump from the mid.

Anyway I realize that we are not dealing in absolutes, kind of like chocolate vs. vanilla, but am curious how others feel about it.

I would say there is a massive difference between entry level instruments and Hawaiian-made K family ukes. That said, I think once you get into the high end models, I feel the law of diminishing returns takes hold pretty quick. A top dollar Kamaka will have prettier flames and inlays, but is not necessarily a better built or better sounding instrument than a standard Kamaka.

I would say there is a massive difference between entry level instruments and Hawaiian-made K family ukes. That said, I think once you get into the high end models, I feel the law of diminishing returns takes hold pretty quick. A top dollar Kamaka will have prettier flames and inlays, but is not necessarily a better built or better sounding instrument than a standard Kamaka.

Yes but the Hawaiian ones are well beyond the 1k price level. I think that the comment relates more to mass produced ukes where they often charge considerable premiums for bling, fancy woods, and other features that are neither needed nor quality enhancing. The mass producers often spend more effort on promoting upgrades that cost them little to nothing, than on quality local materials and production. And as evidenced by many of the discussions and recommendations given on this forum, their marketing is highly effective and players are more than willing to buy into myth and hype.

It is an interesting perspective from a top teacher and performer, but the context may be important. I assume that he is targeting this message to an audience looking for their first uke and not one that in a year or two may look to "upgrade" their first purchase.

I absolutely agree that one should look to get the best from the get go. They tend to be better constructed, sound better, and feel better when playing. You get the biggest bang for the buck by going more expensive up to $300 or $400. So if I asked a trusted seller, the $200 recommendation would be distinctly better than the $100 recommendation and the $400 one would be better than the $100 or $200 one. A better uke often leads to faster learning and more enjoyment. Jumping from $400 through $800 may not bring noticeable improvements for one in their first year of playing.

But the $400 to $800 is a price range containing many wonderful and valued ukuleles. Pono, Martin, Kiwaya, Opio, aNueNue, Rebel, KoAloha, Timms, and many others that players are very happy to have purchased. Other than costing more, there is usually no downside for a beginner to own one as well and there is likely incremental improvement in many areas, including finish, quality of components (like tuning pegs), bracing design, and overall construction. This is often the endpoint price range for those not wanting to spend $1k or more.

Last edited:
I think he is right in saying that a higher price does not always equate to better sound. Sometimes, the higher price is because the wood is prettier, or it includes some inlay or decoration that drives the price up. A $500 could have the same sound and build quality as a $300 model, but includes "bling." On that note, a Kanilea K-3 tenor is over $1k more than a K-1, even though it's the exact same build, materials, and building process. The extra $1k is all because of visual aesthetics. For some, that's worth the extra cost, and others could not care less. That being said, I believe there are several features of a ukulele that drives up cost while also consistently (yes, I know there are always exceptions to the rule) increasing the quality of sound:

1. Laminate vs. solid top/laminate vs. all-solid wood. All solid wood ukuleles start at around $250 and go up from there.

2. Factory produced vs. hand produced vs. handmade custom: You can find really nice instruments from any of these sources, but the general question is how much human involvement goes into the creation of an individual interment. Some are factory produced with virtually no individual QC (Non-elite Kala), others are factory produced with some QC (Pono, for example), others are hand produced but follow a certain model (like the 3 K brands), and the most expensive are made my individuals who choose every piece specifically and put it all together while ensuring quality and sound throughout (Beansprout, Koolau, Moore Bettah, to name a few).

3. Quality of other components like tuners and pickups.

Essentially, it is wise to ask WHY an instrument is more expensive, and decide what is worth splurging on.

Yes but the Hawaiian ones are well beyond the 1k price level. I think that the comment relates more to mass produced ukes where they often charge considerable premiums for bling, fancy woods, and other features that are neither needed nor quality enhancing.

It is an interesting perspective from a top teacher and performer, but the context may be important. I assume that he is targeting this message to an audience looking for their first uke and not one that in a year or two may look to "upgrade" their first purchase.

Some of JH's meaning may be lost in my paraphrasing. I just re-listened and he is tossing out $800 as the entry level for what he calls "custom hand made" instruments. But yes his advice is targeted at those looking for a first uke.

I've had this discussion before and I know people disagree with me, but buying a Kamaka is cheaper than buying intermediary ukes and then buying the Kamaka. So my opinion, in a way, coincides with James Hill. I say go and get your dream uke now instead of buying a few proxies on your way to getting your dream uke. It is cheaper in the long run. I know that sounds kind of elitist, but I not elite in an objective sense. I am not rich, but I save money out of every paycheck and build up a uke-fund. Right now I am saving up for an elite baritone. It'll take time, but it is cheaper than buying a Lanikai to fill the gap and then buy my Beau Hannam or whatever later.

I've talked about this before in another thread quite recently. I've gone through the same course and am currently going through his other courses, and while I really like James Hill and respect his opinion I highly disagree with this particular notion. I might've agreed maybe five years ago but currently there are so many excellent choices at exactly that 400-800 Dollar price point that, to me, it would be very silly to dismiss them.

But the $400 to $800 is a price range containing many wonderful and valued ukuleles. Pono, Martin, Kiwaya, Opio, aNueNue, Rebel, KoAloha, Timms, and many others that players are very happy to have purchased. Other than costing more, there is usually no downside for a beginner to own one as well and there is likely incremental improvement in many areas, including finish, quality of components (like tuning pegs), bracing design, and overall construction. This is often the endpoint price range for those not wanting to spend $1k or more.

Those brands listed in rainbow21's post are the reason for my opinion. At that higher beginner price point (300-400 USD), you usually still have only the entry level brands like Kala, Ohana, Flight, Snail, maybe the cheapest Pono or one of the laminate aNueNue ukes. But if you move beyond that you start getting into those brands mentioned above. The KoAloha Opio and Rebel models are notorious for their brilliant quality-price-ratio. And there's been so many positive comments about the aNueNue AMM2 and AMM3 models which sit at around 600 USD but are so much better quality than the price might suggest. Same with the AKK2 and AKK3 models which are slightly more expensive but then you already get into the solid koa territory. To me, it would be insane to dismiss ukes like those simply because of the price point.

The highest price entry instruments, does that even make sense?
What makes it an entry instrument?
Being laminate?
Being made by a company considered entry level?
Being made in a specific country?

I wouldnt mind an entry level Kamaka. I dont need the advanced robe binding and stuff, entry level is fine.

I dont know if you get my point. By the price logic some very blingy models from Kala, Flight are still entry level at <$400, while a basic model from Pono which is slightly more expensive is a "gap" ukulele to be avoided.

Whatever ukulele you buy first is your "entry level" ukulele. What you paid for it is your "entry level ukulele price point". There's no point in discussing what your last ukulele will be or cost because we all know that there is no "last ukulele".

Entry Level? Gaps? JH has a point, but so long as you're happy playing it and enjoy its sound, does it matter? The most important gap is the time period between playing it, cause our own perception of our happiness fills any price gap.

I have two friends who moved 'up' to a Fender from their $20 Mahalo and are thrilled. But then, they also enjoyed their Mahalo and one still plays her "smiley'. Me, I don't like the Fender's sound, (for me that's the gap), and so wouldn't buy it whatever its price.

But the notion of it pleasing your ear seems most important because if it sounds crap we stop playing it.

Out of interest, my first uke ($240) has become my travel uke. It has a sweet sound and I can afford its loss or damage, and so, like the 'smiley' Mahalo, it hasn't gone to waste.

And Kkimura is correct, there are always ones purchased afterwards, and they actually fill gaps, gaps in the wall space, gaps in my collection, but made gaps in my bank account!

.....we all know that there is no "last ukulele".

Ha, ha - there was in my case - KoAloha tenor necked concert solid acacia - I'm just attracted to 'long neck' ukes - (most of mine have smaller than normal bodies for their scale lengths). :music:

Factory produced vs. hand produced vs. handmade custom: You can find really nice instruments from any of these sources, but the general question is how much human involvement goes into the creation of an individual interment. Some are factory produced with virtually no individual QC (Non-elite Kala), others are factory produced with some QC (Pono, for example), others are hand produced but follow a certain model (like the 3 K brands), and the most expensive are made my individuals who choose every piece specifically and put it all together while ensuring quality and sound throughout (Beansprout, Koolau, Moore Bettah, to name a few).

The bolded group above is what I interpret as JH's "gap" ukes, and knowing what I know about custom furniture I would actually think that the bolded group of ukes are likely to be pretty darn good -- maybe in some cases even better than the next group up, and thus not to be avoided.

A local craftsman took me on a tour of his shop and was very proud of his new CNC machinery. He said it allowed him to to produce items with more consistency and precision at a lower price point (or, uh, higher profit) than his previous model of all handmade. Maybe this is analogous to building ukes ...... but ukes aren't coffee tables, so maybe not.

The bolded group above is what I interpret as JH's "gap" ukes, and knowing what I know about custom furniture I would actually think that the bolded group of ukes are likely to be pretty darn good -- maybe in some cases even better than the next group up, and thus not to be avoided.

A local craftsman took me on a tour of his shop and was very proud of his new CNC machinery. He said it allowed him to to produce items with more consistency and precision at a lower price point (or, uh, higher profit) than his previous model of all handmade. Maybe this is analogous to building ukes ...... but ukes aren't coffee tables, so maybe not.

All three big K brands have CNC carved necks and I think KoAloha may have just recently accomplished to do that in house. Use of CNC is not necessarily cheaper than labour as you need skilled programmer and technician to operate the machine where one in the US may earn as much as 100 assemblers of ukes in China. But the benefit is definitely improved consistency of necks and other parts where this can be used.

While CNC machines can make exacting shapes (which is used to make good necks and everybody seems to use), much of the manufacturing still relies on the craftsman, things like testing each wood, bracing, fret dressing, etc.. For example, I remember seeing videos of Kamaka testing the sounds of each Kao top before selection (I know Martin and Taylor also do this with their higher end guitars.) Also, many of the "gap" manufacturers don't offer Kao wood; so if you want to go with traditional wood, you can't find it there.

I think the "gap" manufacturers, instead of touting their CNC machines, they should starting using and showing off their PLEK machines. I think this can give them a real advantage over the K-brands (the K-brands make fewer ukes so they wouldn't go the PLEK route, but the "gap" manufacturers can go there). The PLEK can give a playability consistency that the K-brands can't match.

All three big K brands have CNC carved necks and I think KoAloha may have just recently accomplished to do that in house. Use of CNC is not necessarily cheaper than labour as you need skilled programmer and technician to operate the machine where one in the US may earn as much as 100 assemblers of ukes in China. But the benefit is definitely improved consistency of necks and other parts where this can be used.

The neck is not just about having the same shape but also how it is finished. Once you've experienced a good neck (I'd describe as silken feeling), your eyes will be opened forever. It's kind of like once you've played on a well setup uke, you'll know forever the feel. Also rounded fret ends, good tuners, etc. These attention-to-detail items make the playing experience much better.

This. ^^ There are some really, really good ukes out there now in the $500-800 price range, which I'm assuming is still considered the gap range. I love my ukes in this price range as much, and perhaps more, than my over $2000 Kanile'a. It's about loving the sound, the feel, the playability of the instrument. And that love can be found for under $1000. A uke you love you will play.

I do agree with JH to a certain extent. Instead of looking for "a great uke under $100, $150" (insert cheap price here), why not spend a little more and get something that will sound really good and you won't outgrow it in 2 months? I do think it's cheaper in the long run to buy the best instrument you can afford. If $100 is all you can possibly spend to move up, maybe just wait a while. But this is just my opinion. My ear for instruments has always been better than my playing, lol.

Last edited:
The PLEK can give a playability consistency that the K-brands can't match.

I looked up the PLEK machine and it is very interesting. I used the term "CNC" perhaps incorrectly; I was imagining that there is a machine that allows uke production with repeatable precision, similar to what the local cabinet maker does with his CNC.

It seems like such a machine may enable every bridge, saddle, nut, etc. to be made exactly alike to such fine tolerances that no final hand fitting would be required -- and in fact the final results would be superior to what could be done by hand.

I think we're missing the point a bit. We're all getting triggered by certain phrases and getting on own soap boxes, which is fine and entertaining, but all James Hill said was don't go from crappy to kinda crappy; go from crappy to good.

Top Bottom