Axminster Tools Supprise

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've bought quit a few things from Axminster in the passed few years ..and today I got this in the post ..it's very nice of em but I can't think of anything that I could spend it on...Just yet !
4CA7526A-8841-4D84-B768-512917020C36 by Ken Timms,

If ever tha does owt fer nowt, do it fer thee sen. (y)

Ken, is this still a valid authority on pronunciation? From this end of the world, viewing recent British TV programmes, it seems that there is no longer the need to articulate the letter "t" unless it comes at the beginning of a word or after an "s".
Miguel

Ah! Miquel,

You have hit on one of my pet hates. I don't know where it came from, or when, but the dropping of the "T" sound in favour of a glottal stop annoys me intensely. I think "glottal stop" is the correct description, but not completely sure. Pronouncing "glottal" with, and without the "T" sound is a good example of the ugly phenomenon.

Ken, I was married to a Sheffield lass for 48 years.

There seems to be a general acceptance of this now, as demonstrated by more recent BBC News, Sports and TV presenters. My own pet hate is the use of the word "of" instead "have". E.g. "I should of known better".

There seems to be a general acceptance of this now, as demonstrated by more recent BBC News, Sports and TV presenters. My own pet hate is the use of the word "of" instead "have". E.g. "I should of known better".
For the people who live in that part of the Country the use of the word ‘of’ instead of ‘have’ is correct and others are just ‘snooty posh folk’. That’s the local dialect and the folk that use it understand each other. Their dialect doesn’t need to be ‘correct’ for all other folk (‘cause they’re not talking to them), but of course there are times when the use of traditional BBC ‘English’ might be helpful.

Last edited:
The use of "should've" in normal speech is acceptable to my ears, but when writing or typing it is just plain wrong to put "should of". There is no excuse at all.

The use of "should've" in normal speech is acceptable to my ears, but when writing or typing it is just plain wrong to put "should of". There is no excuse at all.
People write what they hear and in particular settings spelling has relatively little importance ... When in Rome then - if you can - speak Italian, when in the Republic of Yorkshire (home to over five million people) speak Yorkshire :) .

This ‘Yorkshire’ video always brings a smile to my face: .

Last edited:
Ah! Miquel,

You have hit on one of my pet hates. I don't know where it came from, or when, but the dropping of the "T" sound in favour of a glottal stop annoys me intensely. I think "glottal stop" is the correct description, but not completely sure. Pronouncing "glottal" with, and without the "T" sound is a good example of the ugly phenomenon.

Ken, I was married to a Sheffield lass for 48 years.
I believe you just use the letter T in place of "The" or "To" or both....eg: I went t Barnsley t buy sum sausage frum t Butchers shop..un it whir nice. :)

Last edited:
The only thing I know about Yorkshire is that it can be bloody cold and windy. I know 'cause I read the Harriet vet books. Oh, and I really like Yorkshire pudding.

"I believe you just use the letter T in place of "The" or "To" or both....eg: I went t Barnsley t buy sum sausage frum t Butchers shop..un it whir nice"

That's not the one I'm talking about, Ken. I'm comfortable with that. What bugs me is the way some folks have started saying things like, "I'm going to a birthday par - y" - or - the Soccer phrase, "The ref awarded a penal - y".

I think it must be a Southern thing. Eastenders or TOWIE or summat is making it fashionable.

"I believe you just use the letter T in place of "The" or "To" or both....eg: I went t Barnsley t buy sum sausage frum t Butchers shop..un it whir nice"

That's not the one I'm talking about, Ken. I'm comfortable with that. What bugs me is the way some folks have started saying things like, "I'm going to a birthday par - y" - or - the Soccer phrase, "The ref awarded a penal - y".

I think it must be a Southern thing. Eastenders or TOWIE or summat is making it fashionable.
Ted Lasso. I'll have to pay attention when it starts up again. In the show, AFC Richmond plays in Richmond Yorkshire. I think.

Top Bottom