bad habit that makes me look stupid.

chris3794

Reaction score
i noticed that when i'm playing, i move my whole arm [like you would on a guitar] instead of moving just my wrist. any tips on how to fix this?

I doubt it makes you look stupid. Moving your whole arm is wasted energy, though. Just loosen up and focus on your wrist as the fulcrum, not your elbow. Soon it will become automatic.

Being aware of what you're doing wrong is half the battle, really. What's really awful is when something isn't working and you have no clue why....no idea what to watch out for or to try to do differently.

Try concentrating on a rotation of the wrist/forearm rather than a bending of the elbow. Kind of like turning a key in a lock, sort of....

I find that if you kind of anchor the uke against your rib cage by pressing gently in with the fleshy part of your strumming forearm, that arm will naturally be inclined to stay still, and therefore, force your wrist to take over the movement. Remember to stayed relaxed and keep the muscles in your wrist and strumming hand loose. Easier said than done, maybe...you could start by doing a relaxation exercise - just shake your wrists around a bit, like you're shaking the tension out of them, then, go and pick up your uke with a vision of yourself kicking back on Waikiki Beach...

I have never used a strap when holding a uke and find that this cures the full arm swing.

why do you think it makes you look stupid? there is no right and wrong way to strum. I have a very peculiar strum, but I dont mind, I like to play, and it makes me happy.

Strum how you like dude

part of the fun of the ukulele is looking stupid, a large person holding a very small instrument looks stupid [ especially if it has a dolphin bridge and is powder blue like mine] but it's fun, and so is not taking yourself too seriously.

why do you think it makes you look stupid? there is no right and wrong way to strum. I have a very peculiar strum, but I dont mind, I like to play, and it makes me happy.

Strum how you like dude

Hearty amen to Paul, there's a gal on YouTube who holds her 'ukulele almost vertical on her lap, looks unorthodox but she is having fun and sounds fine so viva la differance! Play how you feel comfortable. I have very long arms so the only way I can play is from the wrist while using my forearm to hold the 'ukulele against my body. I rarely play using a strap but no problemo. ;)

Like Eugene, I hold my uke against my body with my forearm. It means I can't use my whole arm.

If all else fails, just use the duct tape thing.

Moving your whole arm is wasted energy, though...
Depends, I would say on the strumming pattern. I move my whole arm when I want a power strum, or a certain rhythm. Never looks stupid. Looks graceful to me!

I used to do that too but my mom made me fix it haha. I just practiced flicking my wrist up and down without the ukulele (in private of course) until I got used to the feeling. Then I applied it to my uke playing!

Top Bottom