Barron River ukuleles

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Sigh. I shouldn't roam around the internet looking at/listening to different ukuleles. LOL. My ears fell in love with one.

If you're familiar with Barron River ukuleles, (especially in concert size), tell me about them. :)
Any input on Australian Blackwood?

My previously injured hands are picky about necks. Before I bug the seller, I thought I'd ask you all about comfort and ease of play for the neck - though what works for you might not work for me, I realize. Nut width? Action? Neck shape?

Just thought I'd ask. For one thing, that slows me down while I wait to see if anyone answers here. Otherwise, I might be contacting the seller, and no telling what that might lead to. :oops:🎸

His instruments are some of the most beautiful I have seen. His attention to style, design and detail is second to none. Good luck resisting! :giggle:
LOL. I haven't had one grab me like this for a looong time. I guess there is no cure for UAS after all.

I'm trying to tell myself that the neck wouldn't work for me. But I don't know that....
Well, maybe I won't complain about heading off to work way too early in the morning in the cold and snow while I daydream about this ukulele.
Good thing I sold 2 ukuleles last year and didn't buy any.

I have had some back and forth with Allen. I was just totally floored by this Austrialian Blackwood sopranohttps://www.brguitars.com/gallery/soprano2/blackwood_sprano_stacey/ Truly one of the best looking ukes that I have ever seen (for my tastes). When the uke fund comes to life a little more, I may have one in my future.

BTW, the blackwood, according to Allen, is so close to koa in sound that he says that it is hard to distinguish (at least in his builds).

The builder of Barron River Instruments is Allen, and he is a regular on these forums. Usually found on the builders sub-forum. Beautiful instruments although I have never played one.

Last edited:
Well, no one is talking me out of this ukulele yet. :)
Yes, a radius does make a difference to me, so thanks for letting me know about that.

I don't have a custom koa, but do have a koa ukulele, which I quite like.

I even was dreaming about this ukulele last night. LOL. That's a first.

Well, no one is talking me out of this ukulele yet. :)
Yes, a radius does make a difference to me, so thanks for letting me know about that.

I don't have a custom koa, but do have a koa ukulele, which I quite like.

I even was dreaming about this ukulele last night. LOL. That's a first.
It wouldn't hurt to email or call Shawn at Ukulele Friend to discuss the neck profile and other specs. He's a delight to talk with about ukuleles and your questions will be answered, so you'll either be able to close the matter or make a big decision. Of course, that is nudging you closer to the precipice.

Barron River ukuleles have a beautifully refined design approach. In his archives, I saw an ancient spruce/milo combination. I'd love to hear a sound sample of that one!

My Pinterest Uke Board does help me when I feel I can't resist one of these customs. Ever use that as a resistance measure?

Bluesy.

Bluesy, I don't know what a Pinterest Uke Board is, so I haven't ever used that. Maybe I should, though, whatever it is. :)

Well, Shawn was kind enough to give me the specs for the ukulele, and unfortunately, the neck is going to be too wide for my whiny fingers. (They really didn't like when they got smashed in a garage door.)

But, I'm fortunate to have some ukuleles that I think are great and work well for me, and even more fortunate that I'm not one of the people who missed work today due to COVID, (it's running wild in my area), so there is the up side to the day.

So though I had rationalized splurging on the ukulele, and I'm disappointed that I won't get to hear it in person, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Sigh. I shouldn't roam around the internet looking at/listening to different ukuleles. LOL. My ears fell in love with one.

If you're familiar with Barron River ukuleles, (especially in concert size), tell me about them. :)
Any input on Australian Blackwood?

My previously injured hands are picky about necks. Before I bug the seller, I thought I'd ask you all about comfort and ease of play for the neck - though what works for you might not work for me, I realize. Nut width? Action? Neck shape?

Just thought I'd ask. For one thing, that slows me down while I wait to see if anyone answers here. Otherwise, I might be contacting the seller, and no telling what that might lead to. :oops:🎸
Both Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon) and Koa (Acacia Koa) are …. Acacias!

Blackwood has been used since the early colonial days for furniture making in Australia, but like so many timbers, stocks are dwindling rapidly. But curiously you can’t give away an 19thC Blackwood wardrobe for love nor money.

Bluesy, I don't know what a Pinterest Uke Board is, so I haven't ever used that. Maybe I should, though, whatever it is. :)

Well, Shawn was kind enough to give me the specs for the ukulele, and unfortunately, the neck is going to be too wide for my whiny fingers. (They really didn't like when they got smashed in a garage door.)

But, I'm fortunate to have some ukuleles that I think are great and work well for me, and even more fortunate that I'm not one of the people who missed work today due to COVID, (it's running wild in my area), so there is the up side to the day.

So though I had rationalized splurging on the ukulele, and I'm disappointed that I won't get to hear it in person, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Well good news for your pocket book, I guess. Do you play tenors? If so, LFDM tenors are 35mm at the nut, so they may be a bit narrower. That's one of the things I love about mine. You may want to keep your eyes peeled for one of those. Beautiful to the ear and eye.

Think of Pinterest as a scrapbook for ideas, websites and images. It's easy to use and those things that interest you can be organized.

https://www.pinterest.com/

Bluesy.

This is an example of what you can find if can access some word of mouth from Australian friends. I doubt that this maker is interested in the effort of sending stuff to the USA or dealing with USA based customers, but he maybe. He already has a good local market and does not really need the effort that goes with international customers. So this is an example only, however, if you can find a maker who is interested in the effort of servicing a USA based customer, they will make you a uke that has a fretboard width that you specify and they are likely to be very sympathetic to your injury.

This style of maker can be found around all Australian capital cities, but you have to find them.

Also lookup Scott Wise.
More to add to my internet window browsing. :)

Well good news for your pocket book, I guess. Do you play tenors? If so, LFDM tenors are 35mm at the nut, so they may be a bit narrower. That's one of the things I love about mine. You may want to keep your eyes peeled for one of those. Beautiful to the ear and eye.

Think of Pinterest as a scrapbook for ideas, websites and images. It's easy to use and those things that interest you can be organized.

https://www.pinterest.com/

Bluesy.
Yes, good news for my pocket book. I came home from work and bought a new stash of masks instead. Not as much fun, (and no where near as expensive!), but necessary, anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't play tenors anymore either. If I could, that's what I would be playing. I love the sound of LFDMs, and it sounds like the narrower neck might work for me, but the scale length matters, too. I feel like Goldilocks, and have to find the ukulele that is "just right." Hopefully, I won't find any bears, though.

I guess I use the old fashioned version of Pinterest: post-it notes. One of my dogs had an obsession with eating post-it notes, though, so that was a handicap. LOL. Somehow, I manage to remember which ukuleles I'm interested in, though. :D

The sound of the Barron River really appealed to me. Oh, well, I can keep listening to the sound sample, anyway.

Oh, I meant to also say:
Shawn was wonderful to work with, even though I didn't end up making a purchase. Quick response, answered all my questions, and very polite, even when I had to decline the opportunity to make the purchase.

Allen McFarlen certainly has made some beautiful ukes. I’ve only played a used spruce/ziricote tenor of his. It was very bright in tone, but a nice uke.

i’ve had a few Australian Blackwood ukes from Scott Wise. All were wonderful. Most recently received a Blackwood baritone 19” scale from Scott Wise. This Blackwood baritone sounds better to me than the K brand koa baritones I’ve played. I highly recommend Scott Wise for an Australian Blackwood uke.

More encouragement for my UAS. I thought I was cured, (sold 2 last year, didn't buy any), but UAS might just have been taking a year off. LOL.

Don’t know where you are on your journey, @Joyful Uke, but I’m reviving this thread to mention that if you have a uke built by Allen, the choice of nut width is optional. I’ve commissioned one with a 34mm nut. Along with the radiused fretboard, this should be ideal for me.

And his prices are very reasonable; remember that the prices on his site are in Australian dollars. By the current exchange rate, one AU dollar = 68 US cents. And shipping & case are included in the price.

Don’t know where you are on your journey, @Joyful Uke, but I’m reviving this thread to mention that if you have a uke built by Allen, the choice of nut width is optional. I’ve commissioned one with a 34mm nut. Along with the radiused fretboard, this should be ideal for me.

And his prices are very reasonable; remember that the prices on his site are in Australian dollars. By the current exchange rate, one AU dollar = 68 US cents. And shipping & case are included in the price.
I will second Patty's thread revival. The sound on my BR concert is exquisite! The UFriend listing prompted me to have him build me one:

I am not sure what discouraged you from ordering one. The nut is not wide (35 mm?), the action low, the sound remarkable, and the price a bargain.

I didn't realize that there was a choice of nut width. The one that Ukulele Friend had was a little bit too wide for me. They were nice enough to give me detailed specs. I still listen to that sound sample from time to time, because it was so appealing to me.

Hmm, choice of nut width and a radius.... I might have to start thinking about this one again. It's not like I need another ukulele. LOL. But the one that Ukulele Friend had was something to dream about.

Yes, his prices are very reasonable, and I hear that his builds are very well done.

Hmm....

What woods are you getting for your build?

Top Bottom