Bass & singing

turf3

Look up "Jay Leonhardt's Bass Lesson". First song he performs is "It's Impossible to Sing and Play the Bass."

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP

OregonJim

I played bass primarily for 20+ years and never could get the hang of singing while playing. I could *sometimes* sing backup vocals if my bass line was simple root or root-5th. But a walking bass line or a counter melody and my brain would freeze if I tried to sing. I don't know how some people do it.

OregonJim

And also Rush.

Geddy Lee's vocals are amazing but, if you listen, he's either singing between bass riffs or his bass lines are following his vocals rather than opposing. The others mentioned, like McCartney and Sting, are a different story...

ampeep

Just stumbled onto this video from almost 40 years ago. Heard of Talking Heads but never really listened to their music or seen their videos. Tina Weymouth is outstanding on bass - amazed she can keep the beat while doing those movements.

https://youtu.be/jShMQw2H2cM

UkerDanno

Just stumbled onto this video from almost 40 years ago. Heard of Talking Heads but never really listened to their music or seen their videos. Tina Weymouth is outstanding on bass - amazed she can keep the beat while doing those movements.

https://youtu.be/jShMQw2H2cM

Dang! That's quite a workout!

Love Talking Heads, check out their video, Stop making Sense...

UkingViking

I believe that Nick Lowe and Sting are two more examples of singing bass players.

I can't claim to do it, since I can't really play bass, but I keep trying to do it for "Fever". That works well with singing and bass if only one could nail it.

Timbuck

Back in the days before he was famous in Sheffield Joe Cocker used to do loads of cover numbers, One he sang was "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" Four Tops i think.
His Bass player at the time was a great musician Chris Stainton .. he once told be that he dreaded playing the bass line to this song because he found it almost impossible to play and sing the backing vocal at the same time.

Barrytone

I can sing a bit, strum or pick and sing ok. When playing bass I find vocals very difficult.