BASS UKE AND AMP

jolew

Reaction score
Can the Fishman Loudbox mini handle a bass uke???

If you’re just screwing around at low volume it’s probably fine. A bass amp would be better.

Running a bass through a guitar speaker can damage the speaker or sound horrible since the low frequency waves are long and require the speaker head to move farther than treble tones. Bass speakers are designed to handle the low tones. You can probably get away with it at low volume, but better to get something designed for the job.

Running a guitar or uke through a bass speaker is fine.

Nitpicker’s corner: running a bass through a guitar amp head is fine. You’ll emphasize different frequencies, but it’s safe and plenty of great bassists have done so to get their sound. In a combo amp the speaker is the limiter. I’verun my bass through a small guitar amp with headphones with no problem. Using the amp’s speaker rattles like crazy, and it probably would have torn the cone if I kept going.

If you're only playing for yourself or with a couple of people, the Loudbox will be fine. If you intend on playing for a larger audience, you will need a bass amp, the Fender Rumble line is very popular. When I first started playing bass uke in mid 2014, I used my Crate Limo 50w battery amp with 10" speaker. I raised the bass setting and lowered the treble and mid and it worked well. BUT, if you want a really great small portable bass amp, the Phil Jones Double Four is kick butt. I also add an external battery for my PJD4 and big bass amp.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 6 thinline acoustic bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, you can use the Loudbox mini in a pinch (as I have). It's really way more like a mini PA system than a traditional electric guitar amp.

Top Bottom