Be careful of scammers on Reverb

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to shoot out a friendly warning of scammers on Reverb. I posted an item yesterday, and this morning I had a message from someone saying they were interested in the instrument as a gift for their boyfriend and wanted me to send them an email to their "work email."

I only saw the message in my own email and didn't get a chance to get on Reverb until I got home from work. When I went into my inbox and clicked on the message, it said the person was not able to receive messages at this time.

I don't know if this means someone else had reported them to Reverb already and shut their account down or if it's part of the scam (disable messages so you're forced to email them for contact).

Be careful out there! If it looks strange, it probably is. Don't let someone talk you into a selling method that makes you uncomfortable; keep the sale on your own terms. Trust your gut!

TerryM

UU VIP
UU VIP
You sure it's a scam? Maybe they just didn't want to create a Reverb account. Not suggesting you correspond with them outside of Reverb, but maybe they're legit.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Spelling mistakes, poor grammar, story that didn't make sense, and it was a message from a Reverb account. I don't think you can message sellers without one, can you?

Either way, it's weird and I don't trust it. I'll wait for a buyer willing to go through the site.

Natikadawn

Spelling mistakes, poor grammar, story that didn't make sense, and it was a message from a Reverb account. I don't think you can message sellers without one, can you?

Either way, it's weird and I don't trust it. I'll wait for a buyer willing to go through the site.
I've had the same thing happen to me on Reverb twice. Reverb has been good at shutting these scammers down quickly. They always want your email in these scams. One was supposed to be a kid saying their parent would buy my instrument for them so I should email their mom. I also got the "I want this for my boyfriend so email and we'll make a deal" scam.

Jag-Stang

UU VIP
UU VIP
Interesting, I have an account on reverb I am not a seller but I correspond with sellers regularly and I have made at least 10 purchases over the years. I actually made a friend on Reverb as he was selling a refinished Ukulele and I wrote and told him that I thought his price was a bit high as many won’t buy a refinished ukukele at least not for top dollar. He asked me what I thought was a fair price and I gave him an idea. He reduced his price and was able to sell his Ukulele. He was selling to raise money for a Martin Soprano. I am very familiar with Martin ukuleles as I grew up near Martin. I actually had a Martin Soprano that I am not playing but I am not one that sells so I helped him find a really nice Soprano at a really good price and after all of our conversations we exchanged eMails and write regularly. My point is that not everything is a scam. I agree it is important to be careful but also these sites can be a way to connect and it is also important to know the difference.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
I've had the same thing happen to me on Reverb twice. Reverb has been good at shutting these scammers down quickly. They always want your email in these scams. One was supposed to be a kid saying their parent would buy my instrument for them so I should email their mom. I also got the "I want this for my boyfriend so email and we'll make a deal" scam.
Reverb does seem to be pretty good at shutting down the scams. I was selling some stuff last year and I'd get messages from foreign accounts and they would all ask something like "Is this still available?" The first couple times it happened I replied "yes." The account would get shut down without ever sending a second message. I fully believe it was the start of a scam, because if the listing is active, it's available. There's no question about it; no need to message the seller.

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
You sure it's a scam? Maybe they just didn't want to create a Reverb account. Not suggesting you correspond with them outside of Reverb, but maybe they're legit.
I just got word-for-word the exact same message from another account, but with a different email address. Definitely a scam.