Be wary of potential scammers

King David

Scammers/spammers are taking over this forum. Be wary of responses from new users if you made a wanted/looking for thread.

I recently bumped my old thread WANTED: all black Pono TE-B tenor electric. It is a rare uke Pono only made a few of them.
I got a rather suspicious PM from a new user:

Preacher1010

New member​

Yesterday at 10:39 AM
I purchased some items from Harding918 some days ago and all black Pono TE-B tenor electric is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email rileywilson039@gmail.com

There is no UU member Harding918. Also look how they described the uke im looking for word for word awkwardly. And they “purchased some items”. Items??? It’s a uke forum. I would ban this account before they scam any one for real, they almost got me (not really but I did shoot a quick email before I thought more about it). I let the mod Anaka know as they look to have been online this month.

Some tips to avoid being scammed:
Ask for pictures, be wary of other images being lifted from the internet. Ask for a current proof picture: have them write the current date and their email address on a piece of paper and wedge it diagonally through AND under a couple of the four strings so they can’t counterfeit it. Google the email address they give you and if it ends up on a forum scam list like stopforumspam.com it is a scam.

Last edited:

King David

Oh no! I think this scammer just got our beloved member rhiggie. I was just talking to him and he sent a venmo :(

Type the email rileywilson039@gmail.com in on this website: stopforumspam.com/search . Their email is a direct match!

I’m sorry guys this forum is going to s#%! and apparently there’s no real preventive measures to stop scammers and spammers from flooding us with new accounts. I don’t think anyone cares about UU anymore even though Kanilea just bought it out. The barely present volunteer mod squad isn’t enough. You’ve been warned!

Last edited:

EDW

I would be very cautious of any relatively new account, especially if it is a transaction of any kind. It would be best to stick with known members with a track record here. At the very least, search the person's posts to get a sense of their involvement here. If there is any doubt, walk away.

Ukewj

I would be very cautious of any relatively new account, especially if it is a transaction of any kind. It would be best to stick with known members with a track record here. At the very least, search the person's posts to get a sense of their involvement here. If there is any doubt, walk away.
As a relatively new member who may eventually buy something I've wondered the same thing about being scammed. I had always thought I would do a zoom call with whoever was selling to verify the ukulele at least exists. Does anyone ever do that? Seems like if I'm willing to put down over 1,000 at some point, the least the seller could do is a video chat?

Tin Ear

I have noticed a bunch of robot type spam new members and I hit the report button and then ignore user so I don't have to see the extraneous threads on the forum. It would be nice if those got cleaned up sooner.

If there are some scammers coming in that's not good.... That goes quite a bit beyond just a nuisance.

rainbow21

Thanks for the alert.

One "protection" I try to use is Paypal purchase protection instead of the "Friends and Family". A number of legit sellers like the F&F but there still is a charge (that the buyer now pays). My last purchase, I picked up the charges for the protection and felt the reassurance was worth it.

And glad no one bought the $20k MB from the new account that refused to post photos.

mikelz777

I'm weary of the influx of spam posts that have been posting lately and I'm wary of anyone who is new posting anything with links or offers to sell. Poor grammar and a shaky grasp of English on any kind of solicitation are other tip-offs that people should be wary of.

Joyful Uke

Ohhh, I want happy and sunny. Where do I send the money, EDW? ;)

Thanks, King David, for the warning.

I've done a bit of both buying and selling here, and would be more cautious about it now than in the past. Always good to have a reminder to be careful.

King David

He just emailed me back and tried to continue the scam. What a P.O.S. - sending in a team of hackers to go after his bank accounts as we speak.

I realized maybe it is me with the poor grammar - I just looked it up it is actually wary not weary 😐

mountain goat

they pretty much stopped moderating the forum a few years ago.
some of the posts and threads made in 2022
(including the incredible and increasing volume of spam)
would never have been allowed to stand in 2012.
it's a shame. seems it has all been left to Ryan and Anaka.

Joe T

He just emailed me back and tried to continue the scam. What a P.O.S. - sending in a team of hackers to go after his bank accounts as we speak.

I realized maybe it is me with the poor grammar - I just looked it up it is actually wary not weary 😐
Thanks for the heads up, King David.
Trying to stay ahead of these scammers could certainly make one weary of being wary. ;)

Bill Sheehan

Well, KD, it's probably safe to say that you're both wary AND weary of scammers!

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Since the moderators are volunteers, I think they've done a pretty good job of ridding the Forum of spam.

One thing we should be understanding about is that there are several members who are located in other countries and for whom English is not their first language.

Most have posted from time to time. That will provide some support that the poster is not a scammer.

Tin Ear

Since the moderators are volunteers, I think they've done a pretty good job of ridding the Forum of spam.

One thing we should be understanding about is that there are several members who are located in other countries and for whom English is not their first language.

Most have posted from time to time. That will provide some support that the poster is not a scammer.

I am sure the moderators try and it looks like its a real battle with spam lately. Maybe the site could use a couple more moderators.

Mister X

As a brand new user I just wanted to add something to consider. The mere fact that a member is new doesn't automatically make them a scammer and there are things people can do to protect themselves.

Firstly a scammer is likely to want something from you - whether that's money or bank details - so this is where maximum caution has to apply. If they're not asking for anything they can't scam you.

If you're selling something then obviously you won't be parting with it until you have the money so it's harder to be scammed. A visual check of the person you're selling to via a video call, some confirmatory details and a clear written down transaction should be enough.

A scammer isn't likely to send you money and if they do then they're not likely to be a scammer BUT "shipping" and "insurance" scams do exist - people who want the item and their money back - so be extra careful and document the condition and packaging of the item being sent. Failure to deliver or damage in transit should be covered by shipping insurance and nobody can say you didn't pack it properly if you did.

Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers!

rainbow21

As a brand new user I just wanted to add something to consider. The mere fact that a member is new doesn't automatically make them a scammer and there are things people can do to protect themselves.

Firstly a scammer is likely to want something from you - whether that's money or bank details - so this is where maximum caution has to apply. If they're not asking for anything they can't scam you.

If you're selling something then obviously you won't be parting with it until you have the money so it's harder to be scammed. A visual check of the person you're selling to via a video call, some confirmatory details and a clear written down transaction should be enough.

A scammer isn't likely to send you money and if they do then they're not likely to be a scammer BUT "shipping" and "insurance" scams do exist - people who want the item and their money back - so be extra careful and document the condition and packaging of the item being sent. Failure to deliver or damage in transit should be covered by shipping insurance and nobody can say you didn't pack it properly if you did.

Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers!
Hmmmm... always makes me suspicious when a first time post has no mention of ukuleles in it. With all the wonderful threads to comment on, they choose the "potential spammers" one.

Hmmmm...

Mister X

Hmmmm... always makes me suspicious when a first time post has no mention of ukuleles in it. With all the wonderful threads to comment on, they choose the "potential spammers" one.

Hmmmm...
Well that would be a matter entirely for you. I’d suggest that with 8 billion people on the planet a real non-scammer-type person like me will occasionally do something perfectly innocently which you or another person finds odd.

If something I actually said causes you any concern of course I’d be happy to explain but it didn’t strike me as something capable of arousing suspicion.

Cheers.

PS - ukuleles!! 😉

Canucke

Let's not be too quick to paint everyone with the same brush. As a new user I've made a number of recent purchases from UU members that I believe worked out well for them. In fact after lurking for awhile I only finally joined (I really didn't want yet another account and password :rolleyes:) when a Kamaka came up that I was interested in.

It's also not easy for someone to generate history. In fact (with a long history of working with exotic woods as a hobbyist) right after posting I liked a ukulele that came up for sale I got a "you're posting already as a new member." Sure some people can get overly excited when joining something new, but...

And as a new member I too was approached by a scammer when I posted a WTB. I could be wrong, but it seems that's where a lot of scams are occurring. Red flags: the grammar wasn't quite right, I was asked to email rather than PM, the scammer claimed to have bought off the forum but the account was brand new, no pictures were given. I asked for the standard UU recommendation: pics with a piece of paper between the strings and uke with UU and date. Never heard from again. Though was approached by another account the next day. At the same time I also PM'd a couple of other uses who had posted WTBs at the same time and they both confirmed being approached by the same account.

It's unfortunate. If these scumbags puts as much effort into something productive we'd be exploring the other side of the universe by now.

Cheers.