beginner bass

liquid_wind

Reaction score
i just got a new bass guitar and i wanted to ask what are some good beginner songs/techniques, or some good sites that teach me.

get a metronome. then learn the major and minor scales. next practice by just alternating fingers (index and middle) walking up those scales with the metronome then go a little faster but make sure to stay in rythm. also learn the names of all the notes.

but the main thing is to work on keeping rythm and being comfortable walking all around the neck in rythm. to play i use my index middle and ring finger and to practice that i woul djust spend about a minute alternating all of them in time on eaxt string, then i used all 3 for the scales.

hope this helped a lil

another quick tip, keep your thumb on the back of the neck... i know it sounds goofy but your thumb should be... for lack of a better term parallel to the neck. this can solve alot of problems and alot of people tend to put their thumb perpendicular to the neck and this can cause alot of wrist\attack issues.

umm, another small tip which i dont even follow myself, its called the one finger one note rule. to explain: if you can read tab here

G----------------
D----------------
A----------------
E-1-2-3-4-------
I M R P *Fingers*

this is saying that the first fret shoudl always be played with the index finger, the 2nd fret the middle, and so on and so fourth... with every string.
if you do follow this rule it will help on your speed greatly

I like reccomend 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes (it's just 1 fun and easy riff), Another One Bites the Dust by Queen, Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads, and pretty much anything by The Offspring, Nirvana, or Pixies for beginning bassists. I think all that is good for getting a hang of the instrument, imo

go to bassmasta.com they have everything you can possibly need.

pick songs you like and learn their bass lines from tab and by ear.

learn a blues, major, and minor scale in 1 position.

get a teacher! this will save you years of time.

get groove agent or some other beat maker software and play along to it.

check out youtube got some quick lessons and tips, otherwise check out www.talkbass.com and playbassnow.com for a wealth of information. Also check out "MarloweDK" on youtube who has thousands of funky bass lessons. Really breaks it down which is good.

Top Bottom