bending sides

The easiest way is to have someone bend them for you.

Sorry. The easiest way is to use a bending form and a heat blanket. There's plenty of UU archived material and YouTube stuff about this. You should do some research and come back with more specific questions.

It also depends on the material you want to bend..I've had Maple that bent cold like plastic with no problems ...I made a laminated 8" banjo uke pot with it.

might want to have lots of Koa on hand as there might be a steep learning curve.. If it is curly, depending on the curl, there is a high likelihood of breakage unless you know what you are doing. The sound of an expensive piece of Koa breaking is not fun. Practice on some other woods. I broke plenty when I first was learning about bending curly Koa, had to ask for help. I was using a bending machine, one side at a time, consistently breaking them. This was after not having any problems with other woods.

might want to have lots of Koa on hand as there might be a steep learning curve.. If it is curly, depending on the curl, there is a high likelihood of breakage unless you know what you are doing. The sound of an expensive piece of Koa breaking is not fun. Practice on some other woods. I broke plenty when I first was learning about bending curly Koa, had to ask for help. I was using a bending machine, one side at a time, consistently breaking them. This was after not having any problems with other woods.

What could you suggest would be easier to bend?

In my limited experience, some Koa bends easily. You said Grade A.. that doesn't say much.. is that Grade A out of 5A? The exact 'flavor' of the wood will be the determining factor in how it bends. 2 types of Koa I have made sides from, both being very curly.. one of them bent easily, even with a lack of knowledge on bending. The other broke almost every time until I learned a little more about how to bend. I transformed some gorgeous Koa into firewood, very sad. At this point I consider it part of the price paid to learn.

Plain Koa bends pretty easily

go to
www.hanalima.com

and order their book on how to build a uke...it has every step you need and maybe get their blueprint too...

I've read you can also just soak it by submerging it in water overnight and then bend it, is that doable for most woods? I can't really find much on that method so i'm not sure how safe it'd be to try.

I looked around for all side bending alternatives, and being a hobbyist builder, just wouldn't spring for a Fox bender, heat blanket, etc. Searching around, I found a youtube video of a guy bending with a piece of galvanized pipe (I'm actually using thin walled metal conduit) held in a vise and heating the pipe with a small propane torch. I played around with some scrap maple, walnut and purple heart I had laying around my shop, and I have gotten decent at getting the wood to bend without breaking. I soak my wood about 15 minutes and bend slowly and carefully, never forcing the bend until I feel the wood beginning to give on it's own. I have pipe in several diameters. Only problem is regulating the temperature of the pipe, so I have to be careful about scorching the wood. I sometimes put a wet cloth between the wood and the pipe to prevent the wood from scorching, plus the moisture puts some steam into the wood. Already had the torch and spent about $5 for the various diameters of pipe. Turned out to be a very cheap alternative and it works for me.

RG - I'm not trying to high jack but augment the post.

If you don't want to invest in a heat blanket, is the Fox bender with a bulb heat source http://www.hanalima.com/tooltips_bendingjig.shtml easier than using a bending iron https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...CE2fLCkqUwCbmhbkVeowKxQ&bvm=bv.53899372,d.aWc. ?

I build a simple bender with 2 100 watt lightbulbs. Works like a treat so far. I was expecting to screw up a lot of sides in the beginning but it worked great the first time round with rosewood sides. Mahogany I screwed up the first set, they need a bit more time than rosewood, second set no problems.

Grotefoto-CJBSIKEV.jpg
Grotefoto-KBRGVIA7.jpg

Last edited:
Koa isn't hard to bend....of course you can find examples of any wood that just won't cooperate.
I'd say just get a simple hot pipe. Its much cheaper and flexible for the hobby builder than all the work required to make a bending form. Here's a photo of my set up....cost about $20 with the heat gun and I can make one-off body shapes with no set up. I was amazed how easy it was to learn to use a pipe. Maybe get some maple or walnut scraps to practice with before you try the koa

IMG-20121201-00038.jpg

I use a large barrel curling Iron in my vice. Constant and consistent temp controlled by a dial. I soak first and spray frequently. The biggest thing is patience - wait until the wood bends willingly. Costs $29 or less at any drug store/ -mart/Target, etc. If I was sure I would not use it again for my hair I would just remove the clamp, but for now I just put it clamp down and use the other side.
Anne Flynn.

Koa isn't hard to bend....of course you can find examples of any wood that just won't cooperate.
I'd say just get a simple hot pipe. Its much cheaper and flexible for the hobby builder than all the work required to make a bending form. Here's a photo of my set up....cost about $20 with the heat gun and I can make one-off body shapes with no set up. I was amazed how easy it was to learn to use a pipe.

Can you tell more about your setup and how you use it? Temperature and how long, etc. Is heat gun permanently connected or comes out. Is there a whole in end of board holding the pipe? Any suggestions? I happen to have the same heat gun and am looking to try bending sometime but not sure where to start.

Top Bottom