Best (cheapest) time to visit Hawaii???

Definitely avoid the summer time and winter holidays if you can, when it can average twice as much for airfare. Spring and fall are generally much cheaper -- though I've sometimes been able to get good deals in the first week of December as well. Good luck to you and have fun.

You might check up on what activities you would like to do. When we were on Kauai in late Sept/ early Oct, the ocean was too rough for boat tours from the north shore to view Na Pali coast. Some areas are better for snorkeling and diving during different seasons. If the current is too rough, it reduces visibility.

–Lori

Having been there a few times from the East Coast, I would agree with Spring and Fall - keep in mind days are still hot but nights can be cool. Agree with Lori that you want to think about what you are going to do. The beach seems to always be nice, but the water can be rough. As noted above, avoid whenever kids are out of school on holidays. Hotels seem to be real competitive with each other after January and before May and again during the fall before Christmas. Due to the economy, many hotels have been offering specials if you stay several nights. Wait and check the last minute specials on car rentals if you go in the off season (I have always gotten convertibles half-priced compared to booking early, approx $300 wk). Do a lot of research and price checking online. Make sure you check with the hotel and do not rely just on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. I have found the actual hotel sites to often have better specials - same with car rentals. Airfare is going to be high now due to oil price increases. Airlines are also cutting back on flights to save costs which gives fewer choices and lowers supply. Unfortunately you cannot cancel airfare if you find a better rate like you can with hotels and cars. If the economy heats up again, I think Hawaii will again become an expensive place for travel. With the weak dollar, Hawaii has been a better choice than travel to Europe for the past few years. We went to Italy last year for about 10 days and the cost was quite a bit more than we spent on a 2 week vacation in Hawaii a few months earlier. Europe is nice, the Caribbean is fun, but there is no place like Hawaii in my opinion. Hope your trip works out for you and you go sooner rather than later.

I have found that be best time to go is mid August to mid September. Most kids are back in school and the airlines start to drop their fares to pick things up between summer and December (winter break for most kids). I have always found the cheapest fares to be around this time. Another bonus is that the weather is still awesome at around this time. Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom