Best Ditson Style 3 Copy?

StumptownUke

Reaction score
I am looking for a Ditson Style 3 copy and was curious to know who is currently making something like this? Thanks!

Since you specified Ditson and not, e.g., Martin, do you mean you're looking for a modern copy with that body shape that's typical to Ditson ukes, i.e., a wider waste, a bit like a dreadnought shape?

Dave Talsma has made Ditson shaped Martin copies in the past, like This one. That’s a 5k but I’m sure he could do a style 3 too.

Since you specified Ditson and not, e.g., Martin, do you mean you're looking for a modern copy with that body shape that's typical to Ditson ukes, i.e., a wider waste, a bit like a dreadnought shape?
Hey Dohle, you are correct. Ive searched for quality vintage versions but the few that seem to exist in good shape are very expensive, so I thought a modern copy might be the route to take.

Thanks for sharing. I might have to reach out as his website just says he sells through Elderly.com
Yeah, might be worth a shot. I have always heard raves about his instruments

Thanks for that, I will definitely reach out to Mr. Talsma!
Great to work with, and my Ditson is the easiest playing instrument I have ever had my hands on.

Hey Dohle, you are correct. Ive searched for quality vintage versions but the few that seem to exist in good shape are very expensive, so I thought a modern copy might be the route to take.
Thought as much. The suggestions by some of the others are probably the way to go. I have a hard time thinking about any builder or brand who makes ukes in that dreadnought shape other than Kanile'a which I assume is not what you're looking for. One that does spring to mind, however, is Kevin Mulcock / KM ukuleles. I remember Baz reviewing a dreadnought shaped koa soprano he made and it looked wonderful. No idea if he'll make a style 3 though (and honestly, I don't know if he's building at all currently).

Top Bottom