Best singer playing the uke.

Cliff Edwards

I must confess, I sort of skimmed over this video of Cliff Edwards and friends when you first posted it nearly a year ago, Mike, but after giving it a complete watching today, doggone it, this is just a fantastic performance, by all concerned, in so many respects! Anyone know who the guitar player is?

Wow, Pixie, that is really a first-class performance. I had not heard about Charlotte prior to now. What a great example of what can be done with a simple "uke and voice" approach.
That's just one sample of this wonderful, humble artist. She plays in several constellations too, not only solo. Her main focus is music from the 20-30s. If you enter her name in a search engine, you will discover many more gems (check out , fantastic duo). I had the pleasure to attend one of her swing workshops in `22, she is also a great teacher. I am happy to have called your attention to her, she is really worth knowing!

That's just one sample of this wonderful, humble artist. She plays in several constellations too, not only solo. Her main focus is music from the 20-30s. If you enter her name in a search engine, you will discover many more gems (check out , fantastic duo). I had the pleasure to attend one of her swing workshops in `22, she is also a great teacher. I am happy to have called your attention to her, she is really worth knowing!

Excellent! I think the pups liked it too!

I must confess, I sort of skimmed over this video of Cliff Edwards and friends when you first posted it nearly a year ago, Mike, but after giving it a complete watching today, doggone it, this is just a fantastic performance, by all concerned, in so many respects! Anyone know who the guitar player is?
That's the famous Brazilian musician Jose Oliveira. Those guys are really having fun with that tune.

That's the famous Brazilian musician Jose Oliveira. Those guys are really having fun with that tune.
Yes indeed! Thanks for the info, Mike. And Jose is pulling off those single-note riffs so effortlessly! Now, do you know if the guy to Cliff's right, who did the Donald Duck voice a few times during the song, is the original "voice of Donald", or did he perhaps just happen to know how to do a decent version?

Yes indeed! Thanks for the info, Mike. And Jose is pulling off those single-note riffs so effortlessly! Now, do you know if the guy to Cliff's right, who did the Donald Duck voice a few times during the song, is the original "voice of Donald", or did he perhaps just happen to know how to do a decent version?
It could be the original voice of Donald. Cliff Edwards was the original Jiminy Cricket and Jose played another Disney voice - Jose Carioca who was in a cartoon with Donald Duck voiced by Clarence Nash whose photo looks just like the man on the video. So, a reunion of sorts.

Tavana is an AMAZING song writer with mindblowing vocals and instrumental chops to boot. He plays more guitar, but when he's on an uke, best believe something sweet is happening.

His Storytellers show Slack Key Lounge seriously blew us away. We're catching him again with Taimane at the Blue Note later this month. Their version of Hawaii 78 must make the ancestors smile and bob their heads.

I am not sure in which thread to post this, but I need to share it somewhere on this forum.

Allison Young is a "Youtube musician", with an amazing voice, who plays a few instruments - among them ukulele in some of her videos.
In 2022 whe went on tour with another "Youtube musician", multi instrumentalist Joshua Lee Turner. He playes a lot of instruments, guitar, banjo etc. For that tour, it seems that she has inspired him to add an ukulele to his arsenal of instruments, a quite nice Breedlove tenor as far as I can see.

They now went and named their duo "The Bygones", and in this video you get to see Josh playing uke will she sings.

I listened to Josh's videos for a couple of years before he picked up this uke, and he makes a lot of nice music. Also in the "The Other Favorites" cooperation with Carson McKee. Well worth a listen. But talking about great singers with ukuleles, it is probably more Allison Young who is the star of the video.

Top Bottom