Boat Paddle 5-String Tenor - Video

OldePhart

I've had it for a couple of months now, figured it was past time to throw together a quick demo video.

Custom M-Style 5-string tenor. Walnut sides and back, spruce top, ebony fretboard and binding, MoP logo and fingernail fret markers, oil finish, MiSi pickup.

John

dtikim1

Very nice. I always wondered what a 5 string ukulele would sound like. Now thanks to you I have a good idea. Jerry builds some fine instruments. I've got an all Quilted Mahogany Tenor Kayak that Jerry built for me earlier this past year. Unfortunately, since receiving it here in San Diego, CA it developed a buzz so I recently sent it back for him to work his magic...lol Happy Strumming

Dennis Kim

dsummers

Really nice. I currently have a 5 string kayak cocobolo/cedar concert that I adore and I am having Jerry building me a 5 string baritone narra/cedar baritone.

Sylvan

You BP sounds fantastic! I've been waiting to hear this video review - thanks for posting it. The harmonics sound really clear and clean and it has great sustain - just so sweet. Enjoy it.

Is the double G string tricky to master? Can you emphasize the high or low note depending on the song?

FrankB

I really like the tone on your uke, John.....REALLY! "Miscellaneous Making Noise Video" That's a great line....

OldePhart

Very nice. I always wondered what a 5 string ukulele would sound like. Now thanks to you I have a good idea.
Yep, I had a very specific reason for wanting a five string, which I'll explain in my reply to Sylvan below...
Really nice. I currently have a 5 string kayak cocobolo/cedar concert that I adore and I am having Jerry building me a 5 string baritone narra/cedar baritone.
I'm hoping to be able to afford to have him build me a matching 5-string baritone just like this tenor next year. If not then, the year after, for sure.

Is the double G string tricky to master? Can you emphasize the high or low note depending on the song?
It's not too difficult to master, though Jerry does put the two strings of the G course a little closer together than some others do. I think if you do a lot of thumb picking on that low string you might want to ask him for slightly wider separation. However, if you don't do a lot of low G picking (I don't) then I think I like the closer course better. I have a Willie-K five string that has more separation between the two G strings, but at the cost of narrower spacing between the courses - for my style I like Jerry's way better.

It's very easy to pick the outside high-g string - as in when doing rolls - by just brushing it with your thumb. It's a little trickier to pick just the low-G string though it can be done. I've gotten where I can hit it about 80% of the time with my thumb nail but I very rarely play that way. I can get it reliably by picking up with my index finger, though.

I wanted a five string because I do a lot of finger rolls (as you can tell from the vid) and for those I prefer the sound of a reentrant uke. But, for strumming I like the more full sound of the extra string. So, this works out well for me as I can do my rolls as if on a reentrant uke but the strummed strokes have the power and sustain of a low-g. Best of both worlds.

I really like the tone on your uke, John.....REALLY! "Miscellaneous Making Noise Video" That's a great line....

Yes, I was worried about the spruce and walnut combination possibly being too bright...and it is bright...but it's really, really clear.

John