Boat Paddle custom uke reviews - please reply with your personal experiences

Brian W

Reaction score
Hey Y'all! I am looking to step-up to a custom built ukulele. I currently own an Ohana SK-35, which I do like and play quite often, however I am ready to play and own a more serious instrument. One of the custom builders that I stumbled upon was Boat Paddle. I primarily play soprano size ukes, and would be interested in purchasing the M series, and have it built to my specs. If anyone has had experience with Boat Paddle, both good and bad, I would appreciate your thoughts, reviews, and personal opinions of the instrument, as well as working with the owner/master luthier, Jerry Hoffmann. I talked with him over the phone recently to discuss some options for the build as well as other upgrades. He seems to know a lot about his craft and was quite down-to-earth and easy to talk to. I am close to sending him my deposit to begin the build process, but was hoping some of my fellow UU members could give me their feedback and experiences. This is going to be an investment for me, so I am a bit nervous about spending this much money without first playing the instrument. If you would prefer to send me a PM instead of replying to the thread, then please do so.

Best playing ukulele I ever owned. Best sounding as well. The build was intelligent and immaculate.
(Why past tense? I was supporting a charity and sold it to make a donation. Can't afford a new one.)

Hey Y'all! I am looking to step-up to a custom built ukulele. I currently own an Ohana SK-35, which I do like and play quite often, however I am ready to play and own a more serious instrument. One of the custom builders that I stumbled upon was Boat Paddle. I primarily play soprano size ukes, and would be interested in purchasing the M series, and have it built to my specs. If anyone has had experience with Boat Paddle, both good and bad, I would appreciate your thoughts, reviews, and personal opinions of the instrument, as well as working with the owner/master luthier, Jerry Hoffmann. I talked with him over the phone recently to discuss some options for the build as well as other upgrades. He seems to know a lot about his craft and was quite down-to-earth and easy to talk to. I am close to sending him my deposit to begin the build process, but was hoping some of my fellow UU members could give me their feedback and experiences. This is going to be an investment for me, so I am a bit nervous about spending this much money without first playing the instrument. If you would prefer to send me a PM instead of replying to the thread, then please do so.

Hi Brian
I responded to a similar thread last night, don't know if it was yours in another forum. I recently received me quilted mahogany BP Kayak Tenor but due to time constraints I've not had the time to do a complete review yet. Like you I decided on the BP without having the opportunity to play it. There are a few other UU members that have the BP and everyone seems to love them like I do. If memory serves me right, my ukulele was the first $2000.00+ instrument he created. I am so honored. But more importantly, the sound quality and sustain matches it's look....absolutely perfect!!! Do not hesitate, you will not be disappointed.

If memory serves me right, my ukulele was the first $2000.00+ instrument he created. I am so honored.

*Gasp* *Faint*

But I'm glad Jerry's prices are so affordable compared to many builders. Now more people can afford great-quality customs tailored to their specifications.

Last edited:
*Gasp* *Faint*

But I'm glad Jerry's prices are so affordable compared to many builders. Now more people can afford great-quality customs tailored to their specifications.

LOL...it was my choosing. I had almost everything that could conceivably be added on to the basic Kayak model to make it my "Bling instrument". Here take a look...it sounds as wonderful as it looks.
DSCF0196.jpgDSCF0197.jpgDSCF0198.jpg

What a beauty! A luxury item indeed. :rock:

Mahogany is a wood that ages well. I believe the tone will improve years down the road like a well-aged vintage wine. This will be a wonderful treasured heirloom for your family.

Top Bottom