Boveda Packs - sleeve or no sleeve

Tin Ear

Reaction score
Is a sleeve or bag for Boveda packs necessary when placing the pack in your gig bag or case with your Uke ?

Is it ok to just put pack under the neck of the Uke near the heel in the case - good enough, or does it really need a sleeve?
Do you use a genuine Boveda sleeve or something else like a simple sock...

Thoughts or opinions.

I use the sleeve and place the pack under the strings. I imagine it protects the finish.

I always use the Boveda or D'Addario sleeve, but there is a promo video showing KoAloha using just the packet between the strings and soundboard when shipping.

Last edited:
I use them with the sleeve. The fabric is leak resistant with the material's fibers tightly compressed together.

Some of these ukes are expensive, so the relative cost of a one time purchase of sleeves is a small sacrifice to be sure that there won't be damage to the wood.

It reminds me of a another situation. I use a computerized embroidery machine. It was a big investment. To use it properly, 18 inches of thread must be pulled from the bobbin as the thread is being "seated" into the tension tine. There are countless online complaints about "wasting" that 18 inches of thread. The machine will work properly almost 100% of the time if it's threaded in this way. There are problems if it's not. It's a relatively small amount of money expended to get excellent results.

I really love the Boveda packs.

I use the sleeve. (If I can find them.) As the packs dry out the gel inside solidifies into crystals about the size of rock salt. I have found that the inner layer paper in the pack is prone to puncture by the crystals with even light handling of the pack.

When the inner layer is punctured, moisture will leak and dampen the outer layer. Creating moist spots. Those moist spots can damage the finish of your instrument if they come in contact with the uke. Especially for a few days. Nitro finishes are particularly vulnerable.

The sleeves have a water-resistant coating inside. I have had three sleeves get a little damp inside from a moist pack. Yet, the sleeve stayed absolutely dry on the outside protecting the ukulele.

They were originally designed to hang two from the strings inside the sound hole of a guitar. With another placed behind the guitar headstock. For my tenor ukes, I cut the paired sleeves apart and use one pack in the space between the heel and the case. If I put a pack inside the uke, it gets too humid and can swell the wood in the body too much.

On Amazon, I buy the bulk package of 12 or 20 packs. Sleeves only come as a pair by itself, or in kits of 3 (single and a pair) or 4 (two pair) including the packs.

Thanks Ken and others. I store my Ukes flat on a shelf system in their gig bags. I recently added the Boveda packs lying on the bottom of the gig bag under the neck near the heel. My thought was in the event I had a leak I might have a bag or case to clean but as I store the Ukes flat I think the chance of getting any leak on the Uke itself would be small. Have been wondering about the sleeves. I have five tenors and one concert so that would be a number of sleeves I'd need. If there is a good alternative - perhaps a breathable nylon sock with very little cotton content that might do ?

Most of my Ukes are nicer laminates, or solid top and laminate sides combo, and recently one full solid instrument.

Good discussion and appreciate everyone's input. I am sure others have thought about this so I posted the question. Welcome any further comments. Thanks

When storing flat, I keep it over the sound hole above the strings...seems to me the unfinished interior is where you'd want to humidify (and it would have more effect), vs. the finished exterior.

I was thinking under the neck is at least keeping good circulation up to the fretboard and deterring drying out and sprouting of fret ends.
If placed on top of the Uke I think I would be inclined to put the packs in sleeves. Not sure I really want to place anything directly on the Uke or not.
With the gig bag closed and the pack in there - shouldn't the humidity be pretty safe ? When I pull Uke out to play I have been closing the bag back up right away with the pack lying in there. Then when I am done playing the bag gets reopened and the Uke replaced and zipped back shut.

A couple of my Ukes when shipped to me from reputable first rate dealers had boveda packs placed under the neck for shipping sans any sleeves.

Anyway, interested in others experiences and opinions about using the packs with or without the sleeves.

I was thinking under the neck is at least keeping good circulation up to the fretboard and deterring drying out and sprouting of fret ends.
If placed on top of the Uke I think I would be inclined to put the packs in sleeves. Not sure I really want to place anything directly on the Uke or not.
With the gig bag closed and the pack in there - shouldn't the humidity be pretty safe ? When I pull Uke out to play I have been closing the bag back up right away with the pack lying in there. Then when I am done playing the bag gets reopened and the Uke replaced and zipped back shut.

A couple of my Ukes when shipped to me from reputable first rate dealers had boveda packs placed under the neck for shipping sans any sleeves.

Anyway, interested in others experiences and opinions about using the packs with or without the sleeves.
Other humidifiers like oasis, humilele, d'addario go into the sound hole...just sayin'.

Other humidifiers like oasis, humilele, d'addario go into the sound hole...just sayin'.
I get that and understand what you are saying. Also know where you are going with ideal use and placement of humidifiers. Sure that makes sense.

I do like the easy use of the boveda packs and just wondering what others do and if they use the sleeves or not and if they worry or not if they are just placing the bare packs in their bags or cases.

I actually use 2 systems at once. I dangle an Oasis humidifier from the strings through the sound hole. Then I slip the Humipak under the strings or some convenient place in the case. The Humipak tries to hold 50% humidity, balancing the Oasis as it dries out. I haven’t replace a Humipak in several months through summer and winter in Arizona.

I actually use 2 systems at once. I dangle an Oasis humidifier from the strings through the sound hole. Then I slip the Humipak under the strings or some convenient place in the case. The Humipak tries to hold 50% humidity, balancing the Oasis as it dries out. I haven’t replace a Humipak in several months through summer and winter in Arizona.
I've done that before but with a humilele. Where I am, the soundhole humidifier goes dry well before the boveda, so I've wondered if the boveda is just sucking the moisture from the soundhole humidifier.

BTW, there are past threads here on re-using/re-charging boveda packs. I get 'em free but I still do it.

I've done that before but with a humilele. Where I am, the soundhole humidifier goes dry well before the boveda, so I've wondered if the boveda is just sucking the moisture from the soundhole humidifier.

BTW, there are past threads here on re-using/re-charging boveda packs. I get 'em free but I still do it.
Yeah, I just squirt some water in the sealed bag and let them re-hydrate. As long as the chrystals are soft and the pack isn't perforated it's good.

I always use the Boveda or D'Addario sleeve, but there is a promo video showing KoAloha using just the packet between the strings and soundboard when shipping.
The wife's new Koaloha just came today and has the bag and cover over the strings....

Top Bottom