Bridge positioning & Gluing?

Can you please show a pic of your vacuum clamp set up for tops and backs?

Though I'm neither a builder nor a luthier, I've been intrigued by the vacuum clamp concept since first seeing it mentioned here several months ago, then googling it to see one in action. An online outfit called BB Industries has this clamp (Woods Precision is the manufacturer) advertised for US $96.37 but I'm guessing its 8-inch (20.32 cm) diameter is much too large for vacuum-clamping a soprano uke bridge.
1663870429316.png

Now for the noob question- what's the mechanical source for the 'vacuum' action within the plastic tubing?

With the vacuum clamp method ...How do you remove the glue squeeze out ? I have a few theories but I like to hear your methods. :unsure:

Though I'm neither a builder nor a luthier, I've been intrigued by the vacuum clamp concept since first seeing it mentioned here several months ago, then googling it to see one in action. An online outfit called BB Industries has this clamp (Woods Precision is the manufacturer) advertised for US $96.37 but I'm guessing its 8-inch (20.32 cm) diameter is much too large for vacuum-clamping a soprano uke bridge.
View attachment 143864

Now for the noob question- what's the mechanical source for the 'vacuum' action within the plastic tubing?
I should have phrased my question more clearly: Can a turkey baster or some sort of improvised bellows provide sufficient volume / suction?

Bridge is ready, saddle & nut have both been sanded to thickness to fit their respective slots.

Just need to get positioned, drill some reference holes to hold it in place and glue her up now.

PXL_20220923_042532786.MP_copy_1612x802.jpg

Also, for you vacuum clamp folks. Do those things stick to raw wood? Or are you finishing the body and then scraping away the finish to glue the bridge on which would give it a nice smooth surface to suck on?

With the vacuum clamp method ...How do you remove the glue squeeze out ? I have a few theories but I like to hear your methods. :unsure:
For bridges, I do what Beau does, and tape around. Press for a few minutes to set the hhg, pull the clamp and clean the squeeze out, then reclamp for another 10-15 minutes. Same for top and back braces, but no tape.

David,

The body/brace jig is just a larger version of the bridge jig, very simple. I tried to prototype a bed like Joe’s setup, but too much leaks. For the back, I have a radiused plate shaped like the back. I’ll try to take a pic later. But, I think I’m going to do a bracing vid shortly in my video building series - this should show everything in action, including cleaning the squeeze out for Ken.

Also, if anyone's interested, Harbor Freight's 5" throat clamps fit tenors perfectly, just make sure to protect the soundboard, but at $5/each they're not bad.

I grabbed 3 of their 3" throat clamps too in hopes they'll fit concert/sopranos. May upgrade some day but these work for now.

PXL_20220924_042938800_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Very simple, the outer frame clamps the bladder to the inner frame, no seals, just bladder straight to the flat board underneath. You see the back is sitting on a ”dish”, and the top isn’t.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• CD19AE01-92AF-48F2-9C35-19D9012410B4.jpeg
    CD19AE01-92AF-48F2-9C35-19D9012410B4.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1A7D1A1F-B081-406A-8772-B8B15927E207.jpeg
    1A7D1A1F-B081-406A-8772-B8B15927E207.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom