Build thread: baritone scale kiku

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Scraping the excess finishing resin from the back after the second coat of pore fill.

kiku epoxy scraping.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Using a table saw sled and a stop block to do some preliminary shaping of the neck heel. A technique I learned through a video featuring luthier Heidi Litke of Red Sands Ukuleles.

kiku heel.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
The best kind of mess: carving the neck on a musical instrument. There's just something satisfying about the hiss of the spokeshave or carving knife as they peel away curls of wood.

kiku mess.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Still a long way to go, but it's really beginning to look like a musical instrument.

kiku 062821 a.jpgkiku 062821 b.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Now that preliminary tapering of the neck and shaping of the heel have been done, it's time to add the "ears" to the headstock to prepare for further thinning and shaping. With overlays to be added both back and front, the glue seam will be invisible.

kiku ears.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Last couple of days I've been working on the peghead: shaping and thinning it to the proper dimensions, gluing and trimming the spalted Sycamore rear overlay, and using my CNC machine to cut the pocket for the logo on the front overlay. I still need to cut out the Black Walnut logo insert, which I will do before gluing the front overlay in place.

kiku rear plate.jpgkiku rear plate clamped.jpgkiku neck progress.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
The spalted Sycamore overlays have both been glued in place and trimmed to shape, and the tuner holes drilled. This morning I completed installation of the Black Walnut logo inlay. Next is using the CNC peghead routing template to cut the tuner slots. After that, installing the frets and final shaping of the neck to prepare it for finishing and attaching to the body.

progress 070621.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Gluing the fretboard in place. I'll wait 24 hours before removing the clamps to ensure glue is fully cured.

kiku fretboard.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
It's been some time since I've posted about the kiku's progress. Even though I had made a CNC cutting template, I dithered and fussed about with other projects as I considered how best to cut the peghead slots. Finally I ginned up the nerve to tackle the peghead. I used a couple of different methods to remove wood from inside the slots, finishing up the cuts with my laminate router and the 1/4" pattern bit shown in the image. I needn't have worried; the cuts came out as well as I'd hoped, and just need a small dowel wrapped in sandpaper to clean up the rounded ends of the slots. Now I can finish the neck and proceed to the finishing stage.

kiku slots.jpg
 

lauburu

Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Messages
535
Points
18
Nice work so far. You might like to think about ramps at the end of the slots closer to the nut. Otherwise the strings might bind on the edge of the ramp and create a stress point. And it looks nicer.
Miguel
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Getting very close to starting the finish application on the kiku. I have some minor touch-ups to do on the neck, and I still need to thin the bridge and apply pore-fill to the Black Walnut sides.

DSCF4416.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Another glamour pic while testing the neck fit. I still have a bit of flossing to do to get the neck alignment where I want. Not far now.

DSCF4421.jpg
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
Looks great. Quite the voyage.
Thanks. Indeed it has been. I had some new processes on this one I had to learn, such as cutting a slotted head with a template and router pattern bit, plus accurately shaping a bridge with a split saddle.
 

tonyturley

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
552
Points
16
I've been distracted from the kiku project the past week or so while I worked on other uke projects. Here I'm working on refining the heel shape and sanding out some blemishes I found while inspecting the neck. I also needed to clean up around the tenon to get a better fit to the body.

Kiku heel.jpg