Bushings on tuning pegs not flat against headstock.

Yiamsven

Reaction score
This is a tenor ukulele I purchased new in February. During a string change I noticed that the bushings, especially on the G and A, were not flat on the headstock under tension. I tend to use higher tension strings like Aquila reds or worth browns so this seems concerning. I haven't noticed any problems staying in tune. Would this concern you or is it cosmetic? Is this a repair I can address myself or should I send it in for repair?

20220822_072209.jpg

They will probably cause wear and tear on the holes in the headstock over time, they may have been designed for a slightly thicker headstock, personally i'd replace them with some that fit better.

Looks like like other 2 are not fully seated either. What kind of ukulele is that? Did it come like that?
It is a Makaio tenor, which is the house brand at Aloha City Ukes. It came strung with standard fluorocarbons and wound G. I didn't notice this issue until recently but it has likely been this way since I strung it with HT strings a few months later. The sound and playability of this ukulele has been fine, but as I've matured as a player I've noticed a few details like this that may impact performance. The nut sits about 1/2mm high on the A side for example and I do struggle to bridge the E and A at the first fret. It is under warranty so I've considered sending it in but it's my only tenor and I play daily.

20220822_082645.jpg

I would def contact that shop. Those bushings prob just need to be knocked in/seated, but that nut is unacceptable if the action is high on that side and is causing playability issues. not a good look for a house brand or shop that offers a free pro set up on every uke so it arrives in optimal playing condition (paraphrased from their home page).

Last edited:
I would def contact that shop. Those bushings prob just need to be knocked in/seated, but that nut is unacceptable if the action is high on that side and is causing playability issues. not a good look for a house brand or shop that offers a free pro set up on every uke so it arrives in optimal playing condition (paraphrased from their home page).
I'll contact the shop and see what happens next.

I'll contact the shop and see what happens next.
Aloha City Ukes has a good reputation here. They are "proud" of this Makaio line. It is one that is produced in Asia and then reconfigured at their shop. Your ukulele shows things that reflect poorly on their workmanship and inspection process.

The most equitable solution to you is for them to send you another one that is done properly. Only then should you have to send this one back at their expense.

Aloha City Ukes has a good reputation here. They are "proud" of this Makaio line. It is one that is produced in Asia and then reconfigured at their shop. Your ukulele shows things that reflect poorly on their workmanship and inspection process.

The most equitable solution to you is for them to send you another one that is done properly. Only then should you have to send this one back at their expense.
Aloha City Ukes offered to repair or replace the Makaio or provide 70% of my original purchase price towards another brand. I chose to get a different brand and pay a little more. Overall I'd been happy with the value provided by the Makaio until the issues became apparent. I did ask for a return shipping label but that was a no go.

Clarify please. You got 70% of the original purchase price to use as store credit, and you have to ship it back at your cost? Is that right?

Also, did they comment on how that got through their setup and inspection like that?

Clarify please. You got 70% of the original purchase price to use as store credit, and you have to ship it back at your cost? Is that right?

Also, did they comment on how that got through their setup and inspection like that?
Yes, that's correct. I didn't really push for much explanation as to what's acceptable. I called about the bushings about a week ago and it was suggested that it was probably cosmetic but I could send it in if I wanted. I didn't share photos however until today when it finally occurred to me that the nut being high on one side might be affecting playability.

That's a bit of a weak offer IMO, not the replacement but the 70%. Looking at it a bit differently, the replacement is 100% credit if you buy another makaio, but only 70% if something else??? And they ought to cover return shipping. It's defective! And somehow it got through their QA/QC, inspection and setup processes. Weak!

That's a bit of a weak offer IMO, not the replacement but the 70%. Looking at it a bit differently, the replacement is 100% credit if you buy another makaio, but only 70% if something else??? And they ought to cover return shipping. It's defective! And somehow it got through their QA/QC, inspection and setup processes. Weak!
I didn't even ask to replace it with another Makaio because they don't offer a superior model with wider nut spacing or a cutaway option. The only replacement offered was for an identical model in the case that it couldn't be repaired. I was hoping for full value towards a superior ukulele.

I didn't even ask to replace it with another Makaio because they don't offer a superior model with wider nut spacing or a cutaway option. The only replacement offered was for an identical model in the case that it couldn't be repaired. I was hoping for full value towards a superior ukulele.
I am unimpressed by their response. So they are not taking responsibility for sending you a crap ukulele that is their house brand that they did the work on putting in the tuners (they replace the ones it comes with from Asia). It will be costing you 30% and return shipping. That is sad on so many levels.

Certainly, they drop off the list of sellers to consider and join the list of sellers to avoid.

I am unimpressed by their response. So they are not taking responsibility for sending you a crap ukulele that is their house brand that they did the work on putting in the tuners (they replace the ones it comes with from Asia). It will be costing you 30% and return shipping. That is sad on so many levels.

Certainly, they drop off the list of sellers to consider and join the list of sellers to avoid.
I've already ordered a replacement at full price (a partial refund to be issued when they receive my return), a Flight Mustang. I originally had my eyes on an Anuenue ATT3, but I couldn't swing it as I'm losing at least $150 between the trade and return shipping already.

IME, when bushings tilt like that, it's almost always because the bushings were too small for the holes, or holes too big, same thing. The holes should be slightly smaller than the bushings, providing the "press fit", where they are seated in there securely and tightly...no tilt need apply!
This makes sense. Would you expect a reputable ukulele to be built to withstand any set of name brand ukulele strings?

This makes sense. Would you expect a reputable ukulele to be built to withstand any set of name brand ukulele strings?
I think you are getting screwed.

The Makaio's are the funniest of ukuleles, unfortunately to your detriment. They come fully manufactured from Asia. THEN they replace the tuners (and do other "improvements") at their own shop to customize it as their own brand. Inserting a set of tuners, then removing them in the USA, then inserting new "upgraded" tuners obviously has the downside that you are experiencing.

With the photos you posted, it is not understandable why they do not issue you both return shipping (at the very least!) and full credit for what is a defective ukulele.

I think you are getting screwed.

The Makaio's are the funniest of ukuleles, unfortunately to your detriment. They come fully manufactured from Asia. THEN they replace the tuners (and do other "improvements") at their own shop to customize it as their own brand. Inserting a set of tuners, then removing them in the USA, then inserting new "upgraded" tuners obviously has the downside that you are experiencing.

With the photos you posted, it is not understandable why they do not issue you both return shipping (at the very least!) and full credit for what is a defective ukulele.
I appreciate everyone that's chimed in here. After reading some of your comments I decided to send another message to Aloha City. I'll follow up regarding my experience once they've had chance to respond.

Keep us posted, let us know what they say/do. I've had my eye on something mid to higher end there, but starting to have reservations based on your experience.

Top Bottom