C.F. Martin Logo Has Begun To Lift

Bill Sheehan

Hi friends, I noticed this morning that the "C.F. Martin" logo on the headstock of my Martin S-0 has begun to peel away from the headstock a little; the letters "C.F." are the ones affected.

It's sort of a "foil" logo, which I assume was originally applied with some kind of adhesive.

I wondered if anyone might have experienced this, and if so, how you might have remedied it? Thanks!

Jim Yates

I have seen parts of the Martin logo come off with capos and tuners that are left on the headstock. Sometimes the pads stick to the lacquer.
Snark instructions say to only leave it on long enough to tune the instrument. Don't leave it on for a whole show or jam (or for days at a time). I know that almost no one reads instructions that come with a tuner, but this is good advice.

Some other good advice: Don't leave a vinyl backed strap in the case with your guitar, and don't leave your guitar on a Naugahyde couch or chair. There are softeners in the plastic that will dissolve the finish. You can ruin your couch/chair/strap/capo/tuner and guitar at the same time.

Bill Sheehan

That's great news Bill, I can't wait for the logo on mine to come off. It looks kind of cheap and I'd rather it weren't there. Thanks for the heads up. Has it been kept in the sunlight or near an ac/heat vent? I would love to speed up the process.
Hahahahaha! Thanks, Mike! Actually, it hasn't been sun-exposed or left next to any vents. And to Jim's point, it hasn't been the victim of excess Snarkage either. So I'm a little surprised that it's starting to peel away. If anyone has had occasion to successfully re-stick one of these logos, I'd sure appreciate knowing how you went about it!

PeteyHoudini

I have quite a few new Martins since 2011 and the logos are still in tact. I've had other issues like a gear tuner's black peg disappearing!!! It took months to find it. I have no idea why it fell off.

ScooterD35

That's great news Bill, I can't wait for the logo on mine to come off. It looks kind of cheap and I'd rather it weren't there. Thanks for the heads up. Has it been kept in the sunlight or near an ac/heat vent? I would love to speed up the process.
A few minutes with a blow dryer and it should peel right off. Be very careful about what you use to clean any residual adhesive off afterwards. I believe the Mexico made Martins are finished with a synthetic ting oil of some sort, but I’m not absolutely sure about that.

scooter

EDW

If you can get the name off the front then all you need to do is get that stamp for the back like the old ones!

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
At about 2:50 into this video you can see how Martin in Mexico puts on the name. It's easy to see how a little rubbing would cause problems.

Once started, I think Mike $ has the best solution

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
That looks like a paint transfer operation. I think Bill's uke has a foil sticker.
Looking closer, I think you're right. I thought it might have been some way of transfering foil pieces. I guess the guitars get paint and the ukes get a sticker.

M3Ukulele

All good suggestions…..I’d email factory , tell them the issue and see if you can get new sticker or send it in for a new one. I’m sure Martin would not likely send a sticker. Of course pictures of the peel would help. If nothing else it would alert them to problem and perhaps they could improve their process.

I sure wish Martin would pic some Ukulele specific dealer to sell their product. I’d also like to see a few I. Guitar stores. Here in Canada in my area the Big chain store, who is a Martin dealer does NOT have any Martin Ukuleles. I’d love to play a StreetMaster T 1 before buying it.

if a great dealer like HMS had Martin, I’m sure they so great videos and sound bits and thus I’d likely buy with their set up and guarantee.

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
All good suggestions…..I’d email factory , tell them the issue and see if you can get new sticker or send it in for a new one. I’m sure Martin would not likely send a sticker. Of course pictures of the peel would help. If nothing else it would alert them to problem and perhaps they could improve their process.

I sure wish Martin would pic some Ukulele specific dealer to sell their product. I’d also like to see a few I. Guitar stores. Here in Canada in my area the Big chain store, who is a Martin dealer does NOT have any Martin Ukuleles. I’d love to play a StreetMaster T 1 before buying it.

if a great dealer like HMS had Martin, I’m sure they so great videos and sound bits and thus I’d likely buy with their set up and guarantee.
Mim's Ukes carries Martin Ukuleles and her setup and reputation is excellent.

Poul Hansen

On my HS-O the "sticker" looks and feels like it's real metal.
If yours is the same, I'd try to glue with Titebond Classic and after ½ hour gently wipe the surplus away with a wet rag. It will still be watersoluble at that point.

If it's a waterslide, it might stick if you get it moist and gently press it back

BUT ask Martin.

ScooterD35

Mim’s Ukes, here in the States, is the only Martin dealer approved just for the ukulele lineup. She’s very much a Uke specific dealer, and a very trusted and successful one at that!
Scooter

PeteyHoudini

When I lost the black tuning peg off my new Martin 2K tenor... I emailed Martin and they said to contact my authorized local Martin repair. They would not send me a peg key. So, that's best what you do. Luckily, I found my peg months later. I had other ukes to play during that time.

Larry Usselman

UU VIP
UU VIP
When I lost the black tuning peg off my new Martin 2K tenor... I emailed Martin and they said to contact my authorized local Martin repair. They would not send me a peg key. So, that's best what you do. Luckily, I found my peg months later. I had other ukes to play during that time.
Just curious...how does one lose a tuning peg? Unless it was intentionally removed and then misplaced, I'd hardly think it would just fall off and roll under the couch! :unsure:

PeteyHoudini

Just curious...how does one lose a tuning peg? Unless it was intentionally removed and then misplaced, I'd hardly think it would just fall off and roll under the couch! :unsure:
It's just the knob that came off. tuning.jpgMy room was a bit messy at the time full of sheet music books. I ended up finding it in the filing cabinet drawer beside my computer desk. I have no idea how it got there. I was happy to see it though. I just noticed on the Martin site that they aren't making the 2K tenor anymore.

Last edited:

M3Ukulele

Funny, I emailed MIM and got no reply. That was a week or two ago. glad she carries them. Surprised more Uke specific don’t.