Can't find any K-Brand Ukes!...

GKK

Reaction score
I've been trying to buy a K-Brand Ukulele for awhile and noticed nothing is to be found!

Hawaii Music Supply is out of Kamaka's, Kanile'as, KoAloha's, Ko'olau's and even Pono's and Islanders!

The only Solid wood uke's I've found where Kala's and Cordoba's. Mike at hawaii music supply said, the manufacturers in China where building another factory or something which is why Pono hasn't sent any ukes but, why are all the other manufacturers so, behind?...

It isn't that close (in San Jose) but have you tried Ukulele Source? I think they carry K brands. I've never been there but I've heard good things about them.
http://ukulelesource.com/

Try calling the "K" companies directly. I was at Kamaka 2 weeks ago, no problem ordering a new uke, said it would take about 6 weeks to get it.

I've been trying to buy a K-Brand Ukulele for awhile and noticed nothing is to be found!

Hawaii Music Supply is out of Kamaka's, Kanile'as, KoAloha's, Ko'olau's and even Pono's and Islanders!

The only Solid wood uke's I've found where Kala's and Cordoba's. Mike at hawaii music supply said, the manufacturers in China where building another factory or something which is why Pono hasn't sent any ukes but, why are all the other manufacturers so, behind?...

You could always go with a used one, no?

Aren't Ponos made in Indonesia?

Check with Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. They typically have a pretty good inventory. Played several Kamaka's when I was there in July.

Contact Sean Yacavone (http://ukulelefriend.com/) @(808) 294-1046 or email syacavone@gmail.com . . . he may have something on hand.

I noticed you're in Sacramento. Kline Music near City College has a concert and soprano Ko'Aloha in stock. At least they did when I stopped by last week. They also had a used Kamaka soprano. If you are looking for a tenor, I did not see anything there.

ukulele Source in San Jose has a nice selection of Kanilea, KoAloha and Kamaka ukulele's. They also carry a number of other brands including Nalu and the Kanilea Islander. Smiley and Janet are good people with good product selection and prices. Worth the drive!

-Gary

+1 on Ukulele Source.

You don't say what scale you're looking for. Tenors are in great demand and are generally harder to find. When I was at Ukulele Source at the end of July, Smiley had KoAloha concerts, sopranos and even a sceptre, but there was a waiting list for non-scepter tenors. They also had a Kanile'a tenor, concert and soprano. Ukulele Source recently became a Kamaka dealer, but Kamakas seem to sell quickly.

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto sells Kamakas and lists its inventory on its website. Gryphon Strings currently has the following Kamakas in stock: one new soprano, two new pineapples, one new concert and one used 2006 concert, a new tenor and a new 6-string tenor, and a new baritone. I bought a new Kamaka baritone and a used Kamaka tenor there and I'm very happy with both. The people there are very nice and they threw in a free Gryphon Strings t-shirt with my purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm looking for a new or used solid wood Tenor.

Hiddencross, I went by Kline music the other day but, they didn't have any K-brand Tenors.

Ronnie Aloha, Pono's are now made in China by about 4 or 5 Luthiers who have many years experience making Guitars. The quality of these new Pono's are a lot better than the Indonesian made pono's. The China factory is still being set up which I was told.

I'll check out the web sites suggested. Thanks everyone.

Hiddencross, I went by Kline music the other day but, they didn't have any K-brand Tenors.

Yeah, I was looking for tenors too. More window shopping than serious buying at this point. I did like the Ko'Aloha concert they had, however.

I bought my Sceptre at Ukulele Source at the end of August. Smiley and Janey had several K-brand tenors in stock, and the prices were good. Free t-shirt, humidifier, chord charts, and case stickers included, and they split the shipping to NY with me.

I went twice, played almost every uke they had in the shop, and kept going back to the Sceptre.

I really would advise that you actually play the instruments, and pick from there- I've noticed that two otherwise identical Kamaka felt and sounded very different. (The same for the Kanileas and KoAlohas.) With the price point for the K-brands, you really need to know what you're getting, before you get it.

I know San Jose is a hike from Sacramento, but it is Worth The Trip.

It was worth the trip from Upstate New York, too. (g)

....-Kurt

The only Solid wood uke's I've found where Kala's and Cordoba's.
Mike at hawaii music supply said, the manufacturers in China where building another factory or something which is why Pono hasn't sent any ukes but, why are all the other manufacturers so, behind?...

Must not be looking hard enough:) I have no problem finding solid wood ukes.

Skip's in EG on occasions has carried Kanile'a and Pono in addition to Kala . . . just gotta check. I don't know what the Auburn Blvd store has.

Are you specifically looking to buy a brand new "K" Brand uke? Are you open to used or previously owned ukes? There's a really nice Kamaka HF-3 Tenor with new hard shell case on eBay that is only a few months old and is in "Like New" condition. The Seller bought it from Hawaii Music Supply - so it comes with a nice setup. It was just relisted. No one took the plunge for the original listing price of $950. The Seller has re-listed with a starting bid of $825. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270814463558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_720wt_932

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that North Carolina Uke Academy in Wilmington, NC had some Kamaka, Ko'olau and KoAloha ukes in-stock. Some Soprano, Concert and Tenor I believe. I've dealt with them and they are "good people".

Top Bottom