Caramel CC102A Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thank you.

Thanks for doing this. I'm not really surprised, and glad that I resisted getting one.

6.6 score seems overly positive to me, actually. The review and con list indicate a 2/10 at best.

That's just the way I score them. At the end of the day it still functions as a musical instrument of sorts, just not a great one. To get below 5's it would need to be literally falling apart. When you look at my full list of reviews, you realise that a score of 6's out of 10 is about the worst there are on the site.

I support Caramel, particularly for schools and on-the-fence beginners. That said, there isn't anything I disagree with in Barry's review. I need to take a closer look at the dip he is talking about, which almost appears to be a tapering of the fingerboard as it meets the body. I am curious if our ukuleles look the same, representing a span of purchase about a year long.

The brand continues to change...as seen in Vic's post, they are now using a pin bridge, and I have been told that the side markers are coming back.

Looking at a lot of these each day, I could care less about Zebrawood and would also appreciate another low cost laminate option. And I could care less about the sun rosette....they could leave that out. The tuners are cheap, but they work. I have had to replace two tuning heads on our Malala Waterman...I haven't had to do any work on the Caramel tuners.

Ultimately, these are inexpensive concerts with tank-like durability. They have held up to regular abuse by over 300 students who sometimes intend to damage the instrument (or the strings). They have been banged, dropped, and batted. Students also learned they could set the instrument standing up on the lower bout. Sigh. Our Mainlands (obviously a much better instrument, all around) took one drop, off a stand, to the ground, resulting in a broken soundboard and a gouged side in two ukuleles.

The Caramels I most recently purchased had better dressed frets, but as they hung in a Minnesota classroom, fretboards dried out, exposing frets again, particularly near and on the body of the instrument. When this has occurred, I simply attack the fret ends with a sanding block, which results in no damage to the fretboard or body. Were these more expensive ukuleles, I would be far more cautious.

At any rate, schools--particularly music programs--are faced with tough choices when it comes to budgets. If you want a Concert scale Ukulele for your students, you have to get into the $65 range for a Makala C model ukulele. If you order from Caramel direct, it is $37 per ukulele. That (nearly) $30 difference becomes a $900 difference over 30 ukuleles. That is significant, as it effectively doubles the cost per ukulele. All I am saying is that cost is a concern.

And that is also true if someone is on the fence and deciding whether or not to play and stick with it. Sure, buy a Kamaka if you can...but that can be an expensive thing to just stick in the front closet.

Again, I need to check that bowing front of the fret board and intonation on our Caramels. I'll certainly follow up on my post.

However...our first school ukuleles were even more budget minded and poorer quality...Mahalo MK1 ukuleles. Talk about terrible ukuleles. It is a little hard seeing the Caramels being rated on that level--but I'm not going to disagree with any of Barry's conclusions. I will look at a couple things on ours, as I said before.

Personally, I only have one Caramel in my collection, a Sopranino which was almost free, which I took to on a trip to Florida with me a couple of weeks I'm not going to say it is a great ukulele, but it fit in my 18" luggage on Spirit Airlines. I am also tempted to buy a Concert with the pin bridge when they add side markers again in the future.

So...Barry...thanks for your review and your honest opinion. Caramel has been pretty responsive to e-mails I have sent, so I would be interested to see what changes they make as a result of your review.

I'll report back on our ukuleles next week.

Last edited:
Very thorough review, bazmaz, and thanks for your thoughts too, Choirguy.

Compared with a few other brands of somewhat more costly ukes, my experience with Caramel's less expensive efforts has been pretty positive. I'm happy with one of their laminate tenors and a baritone that I own, as well as a few of their lowest priced sopranos I bought for some kids. (I did do a little work to the fret ends on all of 'em, I think, but that's not unusual here in the uber-dry desert southwest.) Anyway, FWIW, I recognize the differences in quality of sound, play-ability, etc., etc., in superb quality, considerably more expensive ukes, but I'm only a hobbyist who just doesn't need one. Personally, I'm glad that there's a price point for every market.

OT: In response to an inquiry I sent Caramel asking whether of not they were going to offer any of their 'new sound hole design' ukes in tenor or bari models, they responded, “We have no plan to make them in tenor or baritone size within 2017.”
: /

sound holes .jpg

I've been itching for a caramel or two as well. Just kept putting it off but I wanted one out of extreme curiosity.
I am not one who likes to buy w original intention to try and then return.
So I'm glad to have saved 50 bux or so. I've been waiting for your review. I'll spend that on a hat instead now.

Thanks for the fine review.

I bought a Caramel in 2016 for $46, through Amazon because I too was curious. This one:
Caramel CC303A Solid Spruce Top Concert Acoustic Ukulele

I gave it to a student of mine; it likely had more sustain I would suppose than the one that was reviewed above due to the solid top , but had some of the other issues. I had to set it up, file the fret ends and the like- but, it still made a very good beginner's instrument. She is still playing the uke and enjoying it.

The reason why I disagree with calling these a good choice for beginners, or recommending them for that purpose, is that most beginners don't know about setup and can't do this themselves. So they end up with a poorly intonated instrument, possibly even not knowing what the issue is beyond it sounding out of tune, especially if it's their first stringed instrument, and then conclude that playing ukulele is not for them.

I feel that a proper setup is what makes a ukulele suitable for beginners. The rest is almost secondary. My first ukulele wasn't set up, though it was not in as poor a shape, and if it had not been for this forum, I think I might have given up on the instrument because of that. It's because of this experience that I would never recommend to an average beginner to buy a uke on ebay or from a large music retailer, whether it costs $40 or $200. (Past that point, factory setup becomes increasingly better.)

Where I would argue with you, Mivo, is that the set-up (much improved by Caramel over the past year) is certainly no worse than any other Amazon or eBay purchase--including more expensive brands such as Kala. In fact, every Kala I have purchased through Amazon or eBay has been as bad (or more so) as the Caramel.

Here at UU, we know the value of buying via a dealer who does set-ups. Mim. Uke Republic. Ukulele Site. Others in other parts of the world.

But the majority of buyers shop Amazon, eBay, Guitar Center, or their local music store--all which generally don't do set-ups, or charge for them.

So really--the gripe is with all brands on Amazon/eBay (except for those sold by Mim on eBay).

And I think you are exaggerating the beginner's need for a perfectly in-tune instrument--most beginners don't even grasp tuning on the open strings (some never do, based on my experiences at jam sessions). If a ukulele goes slightly sharp at the 5th fret and above, how long until that becomes critical? For you, it is. But you have no need for this instrument. But for the person learning C, F, G, and Am that may only play for a week or a month? I'd rather they find out if they like playing on a $37 ukulele. Sure, it would be great if there were places people could borrow a higher quality ukulele in that time frame, but in my experience, higher quality instruments suffer during that introductory period.

I saw a statistic that 90% of all beginning guitar players quit by the time the first barre chord is introduced. It wouldn't surprise me if that were similar at some point on the ukulele. Sure, we'd like 100% retention--but that is realistic.

My biggest concern following Barry's review is the fretboard dipping issue, which I am going to look at tomorrow. As for the rest, I hope Caramel sees the review, is forwarded the review, or written about the review and that they make changes as necessary.

Speaking from my experience starting out with a $25 ukulele from Amazon, I found that the worst setup issue was that it was really sharp at the first couple of frets because of a too-high nut. This seems not to be uncommon and really does affect the beginner because it makes it impossible to play open chords in tune.

The action was also high, of course, and it was also sharp again at the higher frets, but none of that bothered me anywhere near as much as the sharpness at the first two frets.

I did eventually learn what the problem was and fixed it (although I created a buzz in the process), and luckily, it didn't turn me off the ukulele entirely---I just attributed to the poor level of quality control one might expect on a $25 instrument.

David

Where I would argue with you, Mivo, is that the set-up (much improved by Caramel over the past year) is certainly no worse than any other Amazon or eBay purchase--including more expensive brands such as Kala. In fact, every Kala I have purchased through Amazon or eBay has been as bad (or more so) as the Caramel.

I agree with you that eBay and Amazon are poor places for buying stringed instruments for a beginner who doesn't know about setting up instruments and/or isn't crafty. If someone has to buy tools, replacement strings, saddles, and invest the time to learn the skill set, a seemingly good deal may become substantially less good.

So from this perspective, I agree that these Caramel/etc ukes are likely good choices for beginners (and others) after someone looked them over and made adjustments. But I don't feel that ebay and Amazon are good places for beginners to shop for stringed instruments on their own. (And it's the same for Kala and such, whose reputation is better than my experience with them.)

But the majority of buyers shop Amazon, eBay, Guitar Center, or their local music store--all which generally don't do set-ups, or charge for them.

Sadly this is also true. I wonder if there is a correlation between this and so many people who buy guitars (and presumably ukes) stopping to play early on.

And I think you are exaggerating the beginner's need for a perfectly in-tune instrument--most beginners don't even grasp tuning on the open strings (some never do, based on my experiences at jam sessions).

I think this is really the one point where we disagree. When you're new to something, you often lack the knowledge and experience to determine what is wrong when you sense that something is wrong. That makes improving hard. For example, the probably biggest issue with guitars and ukuleles off the shelf is that the action is ridiculously high. If your first acoustic guitar with steel strings has too high action, failure is pre-programmed. But the beginner may not actually realize that. All they know is that it buzzes and that their fingers hurt like hell, and that some of the "easy chords" aren't easy. (My acoustic guitar had been set up, and I measured the string height, and it was still painful!)

That is true for ukuleles too. It's hard for a beginner to tell whether their finger strength just needs to improve or if the action of their uke is far too high.

I concede that I may be over-valuing intonation, but hearing ability is something that isn't very developed in beginning musicians, so I feel it's important that they are right from the start exposed to "correct" sound. If the instrument doesn't sound "right", it's helpful to know whether the problem is technique, which the beginner can work on, or caused by technical shortcomings of the instrument. An expert player knows the difference, a beginner doesn't and may feel hopeless if they do everything right, but the instrument still sounds off (and instead of realizing it is the instrument, they blame themselves).

But I do agree that I may overvalue this. It's true that I feel that a beginner benefits as much, if not more so, from a properly set up instrument than a more experienced player. This is only about the set up, not the material, so a set up $40 uke can be as great a learning tool as a $1000 uke. The main difference is that when you are new, clueless and inexperienced, a $1000 uke is more likely to already come set up well. (Not a hard rule, though. My Famous FS-5 came with "perfect" intonation and extremely good playabilty; the KoAloha Opio Concert I had, which cost a bit more, did need a set-up, so price isn't always a guarantee for a better factory set up.)

Couple of points. Not wishing to be contentious.

Fretboard fallaway is a thing. It is not a possible fatal build error. Some guitar builders do it on purpose. I have 2 Caramels. One has straight neck and one with the fallaway. This is probably more about experimenting with their build process. It has zero effect on the tone. Which brings me to my second point.

Tone is subjective. You will get more tone with practice than you will with cash. Plinky Plonky cannot be defined (although I would love Baz to give it a go).

Intonation and setup are a personal thing. In the video, Baz plays the C strings on a couple of frets and says it is getting sharp as it goes up. I didn't hear it. You would have to have a very precise ear to be able to determine the intonation was bad from that example. Later in the video, near the end, he played some out of tune chords. This was not an intonation issue. The uke had slipped out of tune. Both of my Caramels came with sharp frets but beyond that the setup was very good and consistent between the two.

I would never review a Martin D28 and take off points because everyone uses Sitka spruce. Would you be sick of Koa tops if theses ukes were manufactured in Hawaii? Even though Zebrawood is a laminate and can't be compared to a solid wood top you did know the uke was zebrawood going into the review. So again, subjective.

My zebrawood tenor when held at the lower bout tipped to the neck side.

I think people rave about these ukes because of the value at the price point. Cheap tuners are expected. Cheap satin finish IS the point. It is rough by design.

Setups get a lot of talk on these forums. Dealers do this, dealers do that. I have many instruments (mostly guitars) and have never bought one setup by anyone but the manufacturer. This is not to say I didn't have to make some small tweaks here and there but I think the issue is overblown and mostly serves to generate business for the luthiers and sellers that frequent the forums.

Just wanted to make my thoughts known. People should definitely take reviews with a grain of salt. The key word is subjective.

Setups get a lot of talk on these forums. Dealers do this, dealers do that. I have many instruments (mostly guitars) and have never bought one setup by anyone but the manufacturer. This is not to say I didn't have to make some small tweaks here and there but I think the issue is overblown and mostly serves to generate business for the luthiers and sellers that frequent the forums.

If I never had experienced a professionally set up ukulele or guitar, or the difference between instruments that did and didn't have a setup, I probably wouldn't value it as much as I do, and might even agree that it is more trivial than people claim. But I did experience the difference, and I think a proper set up is more important than the choice of wood, tuners, etc. I'm not a luthier, not a vendor, and I'm not affiliated with one, so when I go on about the importance of getting a properly set up instrument (there is really nothing subjective about intonation, only about whether you care about accuracy or not), it's not for ulterior motives, but based on first hand experience with ukuleles that did and did not undergo proper set up, and how significant the difference has been to my enjoyment.

People should definitely take reviews with a grain of salt. The key word is subjective.

Yes, reviews are usually subjective, at least to a degree. The degree is this: If the reviewer is someone who has first-hand experienced dozens of ukuleles over the course of years, both high and low quality, set up and non-set up ones, and who has displayed his competence in many years of his being part of the ukulele community, his views carry weight because you can put them into context. When Barry recommends or doesn't recommend a uke, it's based on a lot of experience. Opinion too, but opinions come in different qualities: informed and uninformed. For example, if I recommend or caution, it's based on the experience with a much smaller number of instruments. Barry's recommendation are more competent in comparison. Both of our views are subjective, but he is in a much better position to make meaningful comparisons because he's held and played many more ukuleles than the 15 or so that I own or have owned. This is why Barry's reviews are more credible than, say, some random Amazon review posted by a John Doe whom you know nothing about. Plus there are videos of him playing the instruments, typically under the exact same conditions. Barry isn't Corey, which is a plus, because Barry plays more like the rest of us mortals. :)

If I never had experienced a professionally set up ukulele or guitar, or the difference between instruments that did and didn't have a setup, I probably wouldn't value it as much as I do, and might even agree that it is more trivial than people claim. But I did experience the difference, and I think a proper set up is more important than the choice of wood, tuners, etc. I'm not a luthier, not a vendor, and I'm not affiliated with one, so when I go on about the importance of getting a properly set up instrument (there is really nothing subjective about intonation, only about whether you care about accuracy or not), it's not for ulterior motives, but based on first hand experience with ukuleles that did and did not undergo proper set up, and how significant the difference has been to my enjoyment.

Some instruments need a setup. I don't dispute that. Not all instruments need a setup. It is not in the manufacturers best interests to ship poorly setup instruments and it has been my experience that most do not. If I was buying a Kamaka online I would prefer it be shipped to me in the same condition it left the factory. I wouldn't want anyone to make any changes before I played it.

Okay, again in full disclosure we have 50 Caramels for our school program. I don't like looking like an idiot for buying them, or for recommending them to others.

Today I looked at our Caramels (randomly choosing 4 of them), as well as 4 other entry level ukuleles: Kala Ukadelic, Makala Dolphin, Makala CE, and a Mainland Concert.

First, all the Caramels have a taper in the fretboard as runs on the body. This makes me think this is intentional. Even on our oldest Caramel Caramel, the sound board is flat and true, and you can see the bend on the fretboard. The fretboard runs on top of the soundboard, not through it, so I don't think it is structural.

Second, in regards to the Caramels...their interior construction is at least as clean as the Makalas and Ukadelics. I would add that my Makala MK CE looks much more sloppy on the inside.

Third...I didn't test all 40, but the most recent Caramel was playing in tune at the 5th Fret, whereas so was the Mainland. The other Caramels, the Ukadelic, the Dolphin, and Makala CE were all sharp. None of that last group were professionally set up, although action was adjusted on the Ukadelic and Makala CE. This leads me to believe that in the lower priced category of instruments, intonation is an issue. Maybe ALL manufacturers can do a better job...

Finally...the Zebrawood doesn't sound as good as any of the other instruments, and that probably isn't a surprise. The MK-CE is very "boomy" as are the Dolphin and Ukadelic. That is probably a trade off for the low cost of Zebrawood; it would be interesting to test a Caramel made of laminate mahogany.

So...I don't feel like an idiot for supporting these for schools or beginners on the fence. It is a great institutional ukulele and a good instrument...no worse in intonation than anything else in the price range (I am so tempted to buy a $65 Donner and compare). But again...jumping from a $37 Caramel to a $65 Makala C is nearly a $900 difference for 30 ukuleles. Does the Caramel play that much less poorly than the MK-C for a $900 investment? I'd argue no...but you may differ with me.

With all of this, Barry has my total respect and trust...I'd buy him a pint if we ever have the opportunity.

Couple of points. Not wishing to be contentious.

Fretboard fallaway is a thing. It is not a possible fatal build error. Some guitar builders do it on purpose. I have 2 Caramels. One has straight neck and one with the fallaway. This is probably more about experimenting with their build process. It has zero effect on the tone. Which brings me to my second point.

Tone is subjective. You will get more tone with practice than you will with cash. Plinky Plonky cannot be defined (although I would love Baz to give it a go).

Intonation and setup are a personal thing. In the video, Baz plays the C strings on a couple of frets and says it is getting sharp as it goes up. I didn't hear it. You would have to have a very precise ear to be able to determine the intonation was bad from that example. Later in the video, near the end, he played some out of tune chords. This was not an intonation issue. The uke had slipped out of tune. Both of my Caramels came with sharp frets but beyond that the setup was very good and consistent between the two.

I would never review a Martin D28 and take off points because everyone uses Sitka spruce. Would you be sick of Koa tops if theses ukes were manufactured in Hawaii? Even though Zebrawood is a laminate and can't be compared to a solid wood top you did know the uke was zebrawood going into the review. So again, subjective.

My zebrawood tenor when held at the lower bout tipped to the neck side.

I think people rave about these ukes because of the value at the price point. Cheap tuners are expected. Cheap satin finish IS the point. It is rough by design.

Just wanted to make my thoughts known. People should definitely take reviews with a grain of salt. The key word is subjective.

Yes - reviews are subjective - that's all I ever say mine are. Impossible to be anything else..

Only other point - this 'freboard fallaway' business -was intrigued so spoke to a couple of luthiers - they think not - they think that's a cop out for a badly made instrument - plus, when you are building to a $40 sale price in a mass factory - the chances of Caramel 'experimenting' in unusual building techniques seems highly unlikely. Really highly. They would do better to ensure simple things like side fret markers, decent tuners, reasonable setup and non sharp fret ends are right before such experimentation. Heck - they could even finish of the polish on the body.

In short - I don't buy that at all - this is an instrument built to a very low budget with all the issues that tends to create.

Cheap tuners are expected? Perhaps - but I've played plenty at the same price which are far better

Cheap finish is expected? I LIKE satin finishes - there are patches on this that have NO finish AT ALL. That's not 'rough by design' That's 'rough because it's not finished properly'.

I also setup all my own instruments. I could set this one up - but that would make the review for a readership that has a significant contingent of new players reading, rather pointless. They probably couldn't and would receive it wondering what was wrong. The lucky ones would realise and then pay to get it set up - so then a $40 ukulele becomes a $50 or $60 ukulele. And THAT is the isssue - then you are talking a whole other range of better choices.

Did I just get a bad one? Maybe. Who knows - as I say - I am SURE there are better examples, but based on responses I had to this so far, this is not the only bad one. So the final view from me is - why play roulette?

Yes, reviews are usually subjective, at least to a degree. The degree is this: If the reviewer is someone who has first-hand experienced dozens of ukuleles over the course of years,

More than dozens - nearly 150 reviewed in detail - about 350 played and counting, maybe more.

Top Bottom