Changing strings with bridge pins

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Recently, I changed strings on a ukulele with bridge pins for the first time. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure how to remove the bridge pins or how to secure the new strings, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. Once I removed the old strings at the headstock, the bridge pins lifted out easily, the "stopper knot" shown in the photo was super easy to tie, and held each new string with no problems. It was a good experience, and I'm grateful to whoever posted this photo on-line somewhere. I'm also guessing Ashley's stopper knot should work with a slot bridge as well?

Attachments

• Ashley's stopper knot.jpg
    Ashley's stopper knot.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I can't see the attachment, but I'm finding that just a big ol' knot works, no fancy technique.

Under some circumstances I've found that a "big old knot" just isn't big enough, especially on the thinnest strings if the bridge-pins aren't a "perfect" fit. In this instance I'll take a short (5mm) length of the old C string and use it as an "end-stop", simply tying the thin string around it with a slip knot then trimming the thick bit if necessary to suit. Also works especially well on a slotted bridge :)

Hmm, yeah, I could definitely imagine that issue!

Top Bottom