Changing the friction tuners on a Kiwaya KS-5 ?

DJ Mango

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the friction to Gotoh open back geared ?

I had a thin laminate Kiwaya soprano with friction tuners, that I replaced with Grover Mini open gear ukulele tuners. I had to bore the tuning peg holes to accommodate them.

Maybe consider a set of the UPT tuners so it keeps the same look like friction tuners, but they are internally geared

I"m considering that option but concerned about the weight .
Also considering Graph Tech but not sure about the look .
From another thread:

8g - softwood violin peg set 1/4 size

11.6g - rosewood violin peg set 1/4 size

c.20g - Elton 1960s trapezoidal white plastic/metal friction tuners fitted to Harmony ukuleles ("under 1oz")

21g - Peghed geared tuners (1:4 ratio)

29.2g - largely plastic friction tuners fitted to 1990s Mahalo - not terribly effective

30g - Gotoh UKA Deluxe (Aluminium construction)

31g - Grover 2b

36.9g - Waverly friction tuners - koa buttons (note: 5.65-6.35mm hole size; new build 5mm hole rec.d)

37.8g - Chinese bought cheap friction tuners

38.1g - Waverly friction tuners - ebony buttons

40g - Gotoh UKB Black or White (as fitted to things like Ohana SK35)

43g - 1920s Mandolin-Banjo geared tuners 'on a backplate', cut down to to 2 each side

47.6g - Gotoh Stealth - lightest geared tuners with "ears"

48.2g - Lucy's Ukulele Vintage Style Coloured friction pegs

54.6g - good Grover set nickel (8mm hole size)

57.5g - KoAloha friction tuners (similar to the ones on my Timms)

64g - 'Leader' Deluxe gold finish uke/banjo tuning pegs (sold by Eagle Music, UK; Carnelian or Ivory buttons, steel)

64g - Gotoh UPT Planetary 1:4 ratio

From another thread:

8g - softwood violin peg set 1/4 size

11.6g - rosewood violin peg set 1/4 size

c.20g - Elton 1960s trapezoidal white plastic/metal friction tuners fitted to Harmony ukuleles ("under 1oz")

21g - Peghed geared tuners (1:4 ratio)

29.2g - largely plastic friction tuners fitted to 1990s Mahalo - not terribly effective

30g - Gotoh UKA Deluxe (Aluminium construction)

31g - Grover 2b

36.9g - Waverly friction tuners - koa buttons (note: 5.65-6.35mm hole size; new build 5mm hole rec.d)

37.8g - Chinese bought cheap friction tuners

38.1g - Waverly friction tuners - ebony buttons

40g - Gotoh UKB Black or White (as fitted to things like Ohana SK35)

43g - 1920s Mandolin-Banjo geared tuners 'on a backplate', cut down to to 2 each side

47.6g - Gotoh Stealth - lightest geared tuners with "ears"

48.2g - Lucy's Ukulele Vintage Style Coloured friction pegs

54.6g - good Grover set nickel (8mm hole size)

57.5g - KoAloha friction tuners (similar to the ones on my Timms)

64g - 'Leader' Deluxe gold finish uke/banjo tuning pegs (sold by Eagle Music, UK; Carnelian or Ivory buttons, steel)

64g - Gotoh UPT Planetary 1:4 ratio
Looks like a small difference, maybe 25 grams? I dare say that is pretty insignificant.

Has anyone changed the friction to Gotoh open back geared ?
326AC607-2DB1-4EA8-AC8B-7524A6F1EC37.jpeg

I replaced the friction pegs on my KS-5 with the excellent Waverly tuners. Beautifully smooth and easy to use, small, very light and with lovely koa buttons. Not geared, of course, but to my mind the perfect soprano tuners.

View attachment 145079

I replaced the friction pegs on my KS-5 with the excellent Waverly tuners. Beautifully smooth and easy to use, small, very light and with lovely koa buttons. Not geared, of course, but to my mind the perfect soprano tuners.
The thing I hate about my friction tuners is the fiddliness; it's so tricky to get to the right point for fine tuning (I tune flat, then try gently to nudge up to in tune). Does this improve that issue at all? I've just got the factory installed tuners on my Famous FS-5. These are absolutely gorgeous, but if they're still the same tough to fine tune issue as the friction tuners that came with it, then I wouldn't change out just for looks (although they are gorgeous, did I mention that?)

The Graph-tech just look purposeful and as they are black, you dont really notice. It is also the back that is the least appealling. If anyone looks and whinges, you can just say 'well, it's for being played first and foremost'. They are VERY light.

The thing I hate about my friction tuners is the fiddliness; it's so tricky to get to the right point for fine tuning (I tune flat, then try gently to nudge up to in tune). Does this improve that issue at all? I've just got the factory installed tuners on my Famous FS-5. These are absolutely gorgeous, but if they're still the same tough to fine tune issue as the friction tuners that came with it, then I wouldn't change out just for looks (although they are gorgeous, did I mention that?)

I sort of understand what you mean about the fiddliness, but there’s a knack to using friction tuners and once acquired I feel that anything else is sort of wrong, well wrong on a Soprano. Finger strength is an issue to some players and so is judging rotational movement. I leave a tail of about 3/4” on my strings at the peg and can easily see a move a few degrees. My finger strength is good enough to gently tweak the finger buttons but those of a friend are not. I made a very simple peg turner for my friend; they grip the turner, gently twist it and around goes the peg for the few or more degrees required. I hope that that’s a bit of a help.

I sort of understand what you mean about the fiddliness, but there’s a knack to using friction tuners and once acquired I feel that anything else is sort of wrong, well wrong on a Soprano. Finger strength is an issue to some players and so is judging rotational movement. I leave a tail of about 3/4” on my strings at the peg and can easily see a move a few degrees. My finger strength is good enough to gently tweak the finger buttons but those of a friend are not. I made a very simple peg turner for my friend; they grip the turner, gently twist it and around goes the peg for the few or more degrees required. I hope that that’s a bit of a help.
I'm "used" to it on this soprano, I just don't love it. I played violin, and these are way easier to cope with than the violin pegs, but I'm still on the fence. Thank you for your feedback!

Sorry that I hijacked your thread kaimuki. Good luck with the alteration :)

Set of 4 Gotoh UK12 listed as 44gr.

UK12-GG-M5.jpg

Does this improve that issue at all?
Insofar as they’re smooth, good quality pegs they do improve things, but really if you don’t get on with friction tuners then they probably won’t be enough of an improvement to change your opinion.

Top Bottom