Chord shape using extra strings

jnorris235

Seems obvious, but thought I’d ask. This shape: xx0232 is a C (and G on a guitalele) that is xxGDGB. As on all the chord charts I’ve seen so far. I dont understand why the shape isnt 200232 that is BDGDGB. The G is already doubled, so no harm in doubling the B & D if you want? Many other chords have an ‘x’ on a string when in fact it’s part of the chord and so would make it much easier to play. I am a uke player where you rarely need to mute or miss a string but just bought a guitalele and so trying to understand the extra strings!

merlin666

I have no idea what chord charts you are using but may be time for a change. On a guitar x00232 is a standard D chord and if you add the F# it's an inversion of D, that most people only can play by wrapping the thumb around the neck.

Jim Yates

Sometimes folk prefer to have the root in the bass which would make a D chord XX0232, if you're playing bass notes or alternating between XX0232 and X00232 giving root and five bass notes. Strumming full chords, a 200232 voicing works fine.
For a C chord, X32010 will put the root in the bass and some players alternate between X32010 and 3X2010 moving between the root and five bass notes. A full strummed C chord would be 332010. (Although the open 6th string is the third of the C chord, it doesn't seem to sound very good when you strum 032010.)
Some players like to put a fifth on top and play X32013.

Last edited:

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
I have no idea what chord charts you are using but may be time for a change. On a guitar x00232 is a standard D chord and if you add the F# it's an inversion of D, that most people only can play by wrapping the thumb around the neck.
jnorris235 is discussing the guitarlele NOT a guitar. A guitarlele normally is tuned A to A (A-D-G-C-E-A), not E to E (E-A-D-G-B-E), the normal tuning for guitar. He is quite correct that xx0232 is G major for A to A tuning. Ergo, he asked a well-informed question.

To answer OP's question ("I don't understand why the shape isn't 200232 that is BDGDGB") -- The G major triad is composed of DGB, in whichever inversion the player desires to use. Ergo, any fingering that includes any combination of DGB is a valid G major chord.

Assume (for example) that a singer is being accompanied and the song is in G major. Let's say that the singer hits a D note, then both 200232 & xx0232 would both be on-key BUT they would NOT sound the same. Neither would they blend the same. Thus, for that specific song, for that specific singer, singing that specific note, the voicing of xx0232 might blend nicely whereas 200232 might not. Or vice versa.

In other words, I totally agree with the comments of both Jim Yates & Mike $.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: The voicing link I gave above is for E to E tuning, but the principle is the same for any & all tunings including, of course, A to A as well as open D tuning as well as whatever tuning suits you. Skill in voicing is a major factor in the difference between a good player and a gifted player.

Last edited:

merlin666

jnorris235 is discussing the guitarlele NOT a guitar. A guitarlele normally is tuned A to A (A-D-G-C-E-A), not E to E (E-A-D-G-B-E), the normal tuning for guitar. He is quite correct that xx0232 is G major for A to A tuning. Ergo, he asked a well-informed question.
I did not comment at all on guilele part but only to the assertion that this was a C chord on guitar. Talking about voicing is nice theory but in practice needs some advice on how to strum or mute the blank strings. This may be a challenge for people who only know how to strum all 6 strings so should this be a fretting or strumming hand technique?

clear

Seems obvious, but thought I’d ask. This shape: xx0232 is a C (and G on a guitalele) that is xxGDGB. As on all the chord charts I’ve seen so far. I dont understand why the shape isnt 200232 that is BDGDGB. The G is already doubled, so no harm in doubling the B & D if you want? Many other chords have an ‘x’ on a string when in fact it’s part of the chord and so would make it much easier to play. I am a uke player where you rarely need to mute or miss a string but just bought a guitalele and so trying to understand the extra strings!

When you play 200232, the lowest note is a B (assuming ADGCEA). When you play xx0232, the lowest note is a G, which is the root. Generally, we want the root to be the lowest note. The chord just sounds clear (or more natural or more of what we're used to) when the root is lowest.

Your 200232 isn't wrong, but it may not give the sound you want and what others expect.

jnorris235

I’m glad I asked! Very grateful for your time. I see the learning curve now. I regularly use inversions and fingerpick melodies on the ukulele. I shall now rewrite the chord chart for the guitalele that I have to include as many strings as are in the actual chord as a memory aid to start with, but be aware (especially with regard to a root note) when playing to choose which strings to actually use. And learn how to mute odd strings. Thanks again. I must find the equivalent guitar site for the fabulously useful ukebuddy site.

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
I must find the equivalent guitar site for the fabulously useful ukebuddy site.
If you find one, please share it here. So far I have found 2 okay sites for guitar chords at Here, & There. However, neither of them is quite as good as ukebuddy is for the uke.

merlin666

If you find one, please share it here. So far I have found 2 okay sites for guitar chords at Here, & There. However, neither of them is quite as good as ukebuddy is for the uke.
Oh that ukebuddy site is very nice. If you want that and even more and have an android device then get the SmartChord app. With that you can do custom tunings for any instrument, and when I asked for rootless chords that we often use for ukes they implemented it within a few weeks. It already has tons of features in free version, and if you wait for Xmas they usually offer all current features for a killer price.