Song Help Request Chords for "Hula Girl"?

mikelz777

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have the chords to the song Hula Girl? I know the song through The Cheap Suit Serenaders and more recently Joe Brown. I wasn't having much luck finding it.

Thanks for that. The tabs are over my head but the chords are there so I'll have to figure out how they pair with the lyrics. It's a start.

I love the Sweet Hollywaiians!

...The Cheap Suit Serenaders..
Wow; what a blast from the past.

One of my favvies in the 70s was R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders LPs #1 & 2. Still have them. Great music!

Wow; what a blast from the past.

One of my favvies in the 70s was R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders LPs #1 & 2. Still have them. Great music!
Like Chasin Rainbows and Singin in the Bathtub.
"R. Crumbs Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country" has cool illustrations and a cd of music selected and compiled by R. Crumb.

This is what I came up with. There's not a lot out there to go by and I took some liberties with lyrics. One example, one of the lyrics I found was, "She's the candy kid to wriggle." It made more sense to me to alter it to, "She's the kind of kid to wriggle." It just sounded to me like one of those mis-hearings or errors that gets written down and passed along. Also, the "chocolate dove" reference isn't very appropriate so that was changed to "turtle dove". Joe Brown and the Cheap Suit Serenaders sing it with slightly different lyrics so I don't think there's a "definitive" version out there.

Hula Girl

[B7] [Em] [A7] [D] [A7] [D] [A7]

[D] All the time in the tropical clime where they [E7] do the hula hula dance
I [A7] fell in love with a turtle dove while [D] learning that funny funny dance
[D] This poor little kid why she never did a [E7] bit of loving before
So I [D] made up my mind that I struck a find the [A7] only girl I'd dare a[D]dore

Oh [A7] I love a pretty little hapa-haole [D] hula girl
She's the kind of kid to wriggle [A7] Hula girl
She will surely make you giggle [D] Hula girl
With her naughty little wiggle
[A7] Someday I'm goin' to try to make this hapa-haole [D] girlie of mine girlie of mine
[B7] All the time I'm [Em] dreaming of her my [A7] hapa-haole hula [D] girl

[B7] [Em] [A7] [D] [A7] [D] [A7]

[D] Out at the beach with your dear little peach where the [E7] waves are rolling in so high
[A7] Holding her hand while you sit on the sand you [D] hope you'll win her heart or you'll die
[D] You start in to tease you give her a squeeze her [E7] heart is all in a whirl
If you [D] get in a pinch you know it's a cinch when [A7] spooning with a hula [D] girl

Oh [A7] I love a pretty little hapa-haole [D] hula girl
She's the kind of kid to wriggle [A7] Hula girl
She will surely make you giggle [D] Hula girl
With her naughty little wiggle
[A7] Someday I'm goin' to try to make this hapa-haole [D] girlie of mine girlie of mine
[A7] [D] [D]-[A7]-[D]

Last edited:
This is one of the most popular early Waikiki tourist songs. These are supposedly the original lyrics from the original songwriter. Copyright 1909 by Sonny Cunha. He recorded the song 2 different ways, one titled "Hapa-Haole Hula Girl" and one titled "Honolulu Hula Girl. Yes, the lyrics could be considered somewhat sketchy by modern standards, but the same could be said of the whole modern Waikiki tourist scene. https://www.huapala.org/My/My_Hapa-Haole_Hula_Girl.html

Top Bottom