Clark's Friday Fret Board Flash Card

Mike $

I play both of these chords 4 different ways...but I don't think I have ever played them the way you have them printed on the cards. Assuming you have high g tuning, you can get the same notes with the classic closed shapes of: 5655 and 4535.

Oldscruggsfan

I play both of these chords 4 different ways...but I don't think I have ever played them the way you have them printed on the cards. Assuming you have high g tuning, you can get the same notes with the classic closed shapes of: 5655 and 4535.
You’re 100% correct. If I hear greater feedback indicating that folks believe such a weekly post will have any value, I’ll be careful in the future to post only classic (and closed) chord shapes.

Pixiegod

What’s your opinion of whether this will help someone who is a uke newbie?
The title of the posting perked my interest because a few days ago, I pondered on the possibility to make some flashcards myself in order to help me learn chords. But with many other things going on in my life, this is more a theoretical project for me. But the idea of a weekly installment certainly sounds interesting.

I would consider myself an advanced beginner, with some more or less serious dabbling in music theory (that sounds like a contradiction, I know, but see paragraph one :). Your flashcard #1 seems a bit advanced for me. I feel like I would need a serious command of the fretboard first. For instance, I could not tell you out of the top of my head what the notes are on the fifth or seventh fret. I would need to look at the fretboard or think really hard to come up with the answer without looking at the fretboard, and in a critical situation, everybody else would already be 3 bars further in a session when I would arrive at the solution.

Maybe looking deeper into your flashcard would actually help me learn the fretboard, but somehow, my mindset is not ready to do this at the moment. I hardly have time to practice the uke, and if I had time, I would pick up Mr. Shipway's music theory book again and continue to work through it.

But I think your idea is great, and I will follow what this thread will bring in the future.

ploverwing

UU VIP
UU VIP
The title of the posting perked my interest because a few days ago, I pondered on the possibility to make some flashcards myself in order to help me learn chords. But with many other things going on in my life, this is more a theoretical project for me. But the idea of a weekly installment certainly sounds interesting.

I would consider myself an advanced beginner, with some more or less serious dabbling in music theory (that sounds like a contradiction, I know, but see paragraph one :). Your flashcard #1 seems a bit advanced for me. I feel like I would need a serious command of the fretboard first. For instance, I could not tell you out of the top of my head what the notes are on the fifth or seventh fret. I would need to look at the fretboard or think really hard to come up with the answer without looking at the fretboard, and in a critical situation, everybody else would already be 3 bars further in a session when I would arrive at the solution.

Maybe looking deeper into your flashcard would actually help me learn the fretboard, but somehow, my mindset is not ready to do this at the moment. I hardly have time to practice the uke, and if I had time, I would pick up Mr. Shipway's music theory book again and continue to work through it.

But I think your idea is great, and I will follow what this thread will bring in the future.
I am not even close to an advanced beginner, and all of these points feel the same for me. Yes, I can get there for placing the notes on the fretboard, after a considerable amount of work, but no, I wouldn't be able to name the chord, I just don't have that level of theory yet. BUT I do think that by following this thread/your flashcards, it would provide practice for learning the fretboard.

There are a lot of options out there to "quickly" learn the fretboard, and honestly, I just don't care deeply enough to invest the energy right now in that process. I can figure stuff out, and I do, and yes, it would be quicker for me to memorize it (like times tables), but for what I do, I am just not that concerned about learning it quickly. I'm happy plodding along with my progressive studies, which do introduce and extend working up the fretboard as a part of the process.

There are a number of people here on UU who find it baffling that it's that difficult to learn the fretboard, or to learn the basic chord shapes and then apply them up the neck. I am one of those who find it baffling that it's easy. I just haven't had the "aha" moment, despite a little bit of effort; obviously, not yet enough effort.

Perhaps you felt that this was an easy start, and you'll work on progressively more challenging positions. For me, this feels already like grade four or five while I'm still in kindergarten.

Oldscruggsfan

I am not even close to an advanced beginner, and all of these points feel the same for me. Yes, I can get there for placing the notes on the fretboard, after a considerable amount of work, but no, I wouldn't be able to name the chord, I just don't have that level of theory yet. BUT I do think that by following this thread/your flashcards, it would provide practice for learning the fretboard.

There are a lot of options out there to "quickly" learn the fretboard, and honestly, I just don't care deeply enough to invest the energy right now in that process. I can figure stuff out, and I do, and yes, it would be quicker for me to memorize it (like times tables), but for what I do, I am just not that concerned about learning it quickly. I'm happy plodding along with my progressive studies, which do introduce and extend working up the fretboard as a part of the process.

There are a number of people here on UU who find it baffling that it's that difficult to learn the fretboard, or to learn the basic chord shapes and then apply them up the neck. I am one of those who find it baffling that it's easy. I just haven't had the "aha" moment, despite a little bit of effort; obviously, not yet enough effort.

Perhaps you felt that this was an easy start, and you'll work on progressively more challenging positions. For me, this feels already like grade four or five while I'm still in kindergarten.
Thank you for the very clear and detailed response. I’ll tailor future posts to these comments and will likely also back it down to one chord per week. I’m also a square-one beginner & have to think through, “OK, if it’s the G open string (with zero being the nut), then my note is A at fret 2, B at 4, and C at 5”, so I get exactly where you’re coming from.

Also, as Mike$ pointed out, the D7 and G7 positions I presented on last (this) week’s flash card were lousy for any beginner because they weren’t classic closed chords. I promise to make it better this week and will hopefully help all of us uke newbies think through playing past Fret 5.
Cheers!

ploverwing

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thank you for the very clear and detailed response. I’ll tailor future posts to these comments and will likely also back it down to one chord per week. I’m also a square-one beginner & have to think through, “OK, if it’s the G open string (with zero being the nut), then my note is A at fret 2, B at 4, and C at 5”, so I get exactly where you’re coming from.

Also, as Mike$ pointed out, the D7 and G7 positions I presented on last (this) week’s flash card were lousy for any beginner because they weren’t classic closed chords. I promise to make it better this week and will hopefully help all of us uke newbies think through playing past Fret 5.
Cheers!
Looking forward to it! Maybe an "easy" and a "challenge" option? Good to know I'm not alone in the "work it out" figuring, lol!

Oldscruggsfan

Clark's Friday Fret Board Flash Card, week 2:
The image below is intended to be the approximate size of a flash card if copied, pasted and/or printed.
Fill in the blanks in the numbered order, then check your answer by trying out the chord on your soprano uke fret board.
1668102164055.png
Will it be more effective (if only in terms of "ease of visibility") for me to post this as a brand new thread each week?

Last edited:

ploverwing

UU VIP
UU VIP
Will it be more effective (if only in terms of "ease of visibility") for me to post this as a brand new thread each week?
I think it would be more cohesive to have them stay within this thread, IMO.

And yay! I figured out the notes pretty quickly, and I knew that if I know what the shape at the fret was I might be able to figure out what the chord at the 7th was... so I'm a little closer! I still had to look up the 2nd one. But I got the notes :)

Oldscruggsfan

I think it would be more cohesive to have them stay within this thread, IMO.

And yay! I figured out the notes pretty quickly, and I knew that if I know what the shape at the fret was I might be able to figure out what the chord at the 7th was... so I'm a little closer! I still had to look up the 2nd one. But I got the notes :)
I followed your suggestions! Thank you for the input. Today is my birthday so I'm signing off to have an evening with my peeps.

Oldscruggsfan

Clark's Friday Fret Board Flash Card, Week 3:
The image below is intended to be the approximate size of a flash card if copied, pasted and/or printed.
Fill in the blanks in the numbered order, then check your answer by strumming the chord on your soprano uke fret board.

1668780927503.png

Last edited:

Oldscruggsfan

Clark's Friday Fret Board Flash Card - Week 4
Posted 24 hours earlier than usual because 12:00 Noon on the Thursday-recognized U.S. holiday of Thanksgiving will be the start of Friday for much of the rest of the world.

Instructions:
  • Fill in the blanks in the numbered order.
  • Check your answer by strumming the chord on your soprano uke fret board.
1669237534110.png

Last edited:

Oldscruggsfan

Clark's Friday Fretboard Flash Card - Week 5

Instructions:
  • Fill in the blanks in the numbered order.
  • Check your answer by strumming the chord on your soprano/ concert fret board.
1669915287392.png

Chords on last week's Flash Card (Week 4): Beginner C6/ Am7 harmonic (chime) / Intermediate F#dim