Collings - new social group

nrvuker

Reaction score
I got a Collings UC-1 for my b'day! Great uke! There's a new social group for Collings uke owners and fans. Join in! These are new ukes from Collings Guitars. Mine is #101 so we don't expect many "owners" here as yet but there are a few out there.

Congratulations. I got to audition a Collings recently. Great sounding uke!

Cool which headstock do you have ?

322079.jpg

318149.jpg

Collings headstock

I have the "traditional" (fist pic you showed) headstock. With the UC-1 there were only a very few with the "haircut" headstock. I know at least one UU member who has a Coolings with the haircut headstock. It was not an option afterr the few first few (prototypes) any more on the UC-1. But - that certainly didn't make any difference to me!

It was not an option afterr the few first few (prototypes) any more on the UC-1. But - that certainly didn't make any difference to me!

I don't believe it would make a difference to me either. Congrats. I was looking to purchase the one you have as well but I have to raise the funds first.

I originally wanted a tenor uke, but it looks like I'm leaning towards a concert.

I'm just getting jealous of everyone buying new ukes

:music: :nana: :rock:

I just got one too and I cannot put it down. I am driving the family crazy. It may just be me, but it sounds and plays just wonderful!

when can you put up the vids. :D

I posted this over at the video section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQ3tV2CW1Y

I liked the "haircut" headstock much more than the traditional one and grabbed one while still available. But that certainly doesn't change the sound and playability one bit. It's a great little uke and might have the potential to be tomorrow's "vintage Martin".

Last edited:
I posted this over at the video section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQ3tV2CW1Y

I liked the "haircut" headstock much more than the traditional one and grabbed one while still available. But that certainly doesn't change the sound and playability one bit. It's a great little uke and might have the potential to be tomorrow's "vintage Martin".

Beautiful uke. I enjoyed your rendition of Guava Jam... and followed that up with Aldrine's Guava Jam for Seeso. Nice laying, guys.

by the way mine have the haircut headstocks

i have prototype #8, mahogany uc1 with a haircut headstock and the prototype uc2 mahogany with full sunburst (haircut also). the uc2's all have haircut headstocks. there were a few uc1's made with the haircut headstocks, but bill decided that the uc1's will no longer be built with them.

i just purchased one of the tenor prototypes from summer namm. a ut2 in koa, with rope binding.

these are great ukes.

collingsukes.jpg

my tenor is the first one on the left.

I played a mahogany UC-1 at Tejon Street Music in Colorado Springs Saturday and wanted to buy it on the spot. My wife had other ideas. So I guess I'll wait for Christmas/b'day.

I was the best uke I've gotten my hands on so far. It had a BIG sound all up and down the neck that made me think of the only vintage Martin I've played. I kept thinking about how great it would record. And of course it was gem-like in terms of build quality.

Still a lot of money ($1k), and now that the fit has passed (I'm 500 miles away, well outside its reality distortion field) I'm thinking I should look for a mahogany Pono or something :).

For all you Collings users out there. How do you find the action further up the neck.
Is is easily playable? I am a newbie and am fine with open chords, but moving up the neck is difficult for me. Is it me or my uke (do not own a Collings yet).

Thanks.

The action on mine is very playable up the neck. I would say it's just about right.

Dang nice

As soon as Collings showed up at NAMM with their ukuleles, I asked my local Collings shop to order in a UC-1 for me. It arrived, I plunked down my $990 and have never looked back. The plain cosmetic treatment of the UC-1 is welcome change from the rest of my uke arsenal. During the last year, no one has played it that didn't appreciate its quality craftsmanship, and playability. The UC-1 is what I would call a "tradional 12-fret concert size" with a full sized body. The Collings isn't a match for something like a William King ukulele, but for the price it it is pretty hard to beat. I have been waiting quite a while for a figured UT-2; I'll post how it compares when it arrives.

I picked up a Colligs UT-1 mahogany tenor on the marketplace here a couple of weeks ago. Just a beautifuly built uke. Light and loud. #185. It has the traditional headstock. 13 frets to the body, a little different than the more traditional 14 or the Compass Rose 12. LOVE the peghead tuners. Probably the best balanced tenor that I have played.

My long awaited UT2 with figured Mahogany finally arrived, and the beautiful flamed Mahogany was well worth the wait. This 13-fret tenor is as light-weight and as responsive as any. The case that it arrived in was the same brand, but not nearly as nice as the concert case supplied over a year ago. I contacted Collings and was told that the old-style concert case was no longer available, but that they are expecting a higher quality tenor case soon; they will swap cases at no charge. The simple tortoise binding and high-gloss finish work well with the highly figured Mahogany. Compared to the Concert UC1 the UT2 is louder and seems to have a little more sustain. The extra fret and extra fret spacing makes jazzy chords up the neck much easier to play cleanly. No regrets.

Oh, I am coveting a UC-1, but I'd have to sell a couple of ukes first to fund that purhcase and wait to see if I'm going to get laid off next month...

The concerts sound very lively from the couple of youtube vids I've seen, and I've always dug Collings guitars back in the day when I played guitars, but they were way way way beyond my financial reach...

Top Bottom