Concert Cedar Top Round Up?

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have gotten bitten by the cedar-bug! I have the aNueNue Hawaiian Dream Series cedar topped concert, and I just love the sound of cedar. It is, unfortunately, my only cedar instrument. I have started looking around for other cedar options, but there just aren't as many as I would like.

Kala has a cedar top but it looks, to my eyes, like pretty much the same as the aNueNue; solid top, laminate back and sides made in the far east. I don't think I would gain much compared to the aNueNue. Similar issues, to my mind, with the Ohana cedar tops, although I must admit that I don't have direct experience with either the Kala or Ohana models.

aNueNue does make a cedar topped Moon Bird, but they don't make them often. I am keeping an eye on The Ukulele Site to see if they get some, but I am not holding my breath.

Kamaka make a deluxe Cedar topped concert, but those are... a bit more expensive than I was hoping for. I may break down and go this route, but I am not to that point yet.

Finally, there are some custom luthiers, but I suspect I will run into some serious price considerations here as well.

Anyone else have suggestions of cedar topped concert scale you like? Tell me all about them, I would love to hear about your experiences no matter what end of the price scale you are on! Thanks in advance!

Romero creations recently had a small run of cedar top rosewood back and sides.

I've wanted to try a quality cedar topped concert for quite some time as well but outside of those Chinese factory-made brands (Kala, Ohana, Snail, Flight, etc.) there aren't that many available unless you're ready to dish out closer to $2000 for a deluxe high-end brand if they're even available.

There are a few I've seen however. Big Island made a concert version of the SUS exclusive Uli model with that blue/green coloured mango back and sides. Millar also has the CD-240W with a red cedar top and Bolivian rosewood (Pau Ferro) back and sides. Neither of those interest me however as I'd prefer either mahogany or koa/acacia back and sides.

There are a few other shop exclusive models out there as well. SUS had the Kanile'a SUS models with mahogany back and sides. I actually owned one but found the tone way too bright so I eventually sold it. World of Ukes has a similar Uluru model with African mahogany back and sides but judging by sound samples that one is really bright-sounding as well. Both of these are also discontinued but there are a couple of those WoU models left.

Maestro Guitars also make a cedar topped concert with various wood combinations but none that interest me really. Also it's pretty rare to find one.

Also, many ukes that are described to have a cedar top actually don't. Many different types of "cedar" - such as Port Orford cedar, red cedar and Alaskan cedar - actually belong in the Cypress family. That was the case with the Kanile'a SUS model as well. I don't know if these Cypress family woods sound brighter than actual cedar, nor do I know if any uke brand actually use actual cedar on their ukes. Interesting topic nonetheless...

Check out the Ukulele Lab for the custom cedar KoAloha that Isaac is listing

LoPrinzi MRC

Other than the usual 'ukulele maker routes, if your heart is set on a cedar bird, try asking Kalei or Corey at aNueNue USA if they can order a UC214 for you.

It's not listed on their website, so maybe it is not in production anymore. But, I used to own this uke in concert size:
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-ascp-t

It's an all-solid cedar top uke.

At the same time, I had their solid cedar top/laminate back/sides (similar to https://kalabrand.com/collections/gloss-solid-cedar-top-acacia/products/ka-scac-c ). As far as I can remember, the sound difference isn't that much between the 2 ukes. I remember making a recording of the 2 ukes, but I can't find it; there isn't much difference (however, I'm not a good player... so it might be operator error). I did find some pictures :) https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...-satin-finish-looks-better-than-gloss.146319/

I have a cedar top Covered Bridge concert with claro walnut back & sides. Lovely warm tone, a bit on the quiet side. More affordable than some of the options mentioned here.

I’ve seen Bruko make some cedar top instruments.

I haven't seen any recent builds, but Cocobolo made a few cedar-top/cocobolo-body instruments. I have a concert and it's awesome. The combination of the soft cedar top and the hard, dense cocobolo sounds great. My only complaint is the cedar is very soft and the thin, satin finish they used isn't very protective, so it picked up a number of fingernail divots and scratches before I added a clear, stick-on pickguard.
50516640_2312110802406533_2100812415942787072_n.jpg

I haven't seen any recent builds, but Cocobolo made a few cedar-top/cocobolo-body instruments. I have a concert and it's awesome. The combination of the soft cedar top and the hard, dense cocobolo sounds great. My only complaint is the cedar is very soft and the thin, satin finish they used isn't very protective, so it picked up a number of fingernail divots and scratches before I added a clear, stick-on pickguard.
View attachment 141346
Nice to know. I didn't know they made one

But please tell me how you like your Anuenue Hawaiian Dream Series…
To be honest, I really like it. I think it is one of the best values in that price range. Well built, nice sound and sustain. I have exactly two complaints:
1. The lower bout is pretty big, so it won't fit in any of my normal hard cases. I suspect this helps to beef up the sound, but it does mean it has a bigger butt than most concerts.The gig bag it comes with is fine. Not amazing but fine. Pretty nice for the price point.
2. It isn't quite a standard concert scale, it is slightly shorter. The scale length is longer than a soprano, but just slightly shorter than most of my concerts. Certainly there is a range that is "concert", but most of mine are just a hair over 15 inches from saddle to nut. This aNueNue is right around 14 3/4 inches, and matches almost exactly what Aaron Keim of Beansprout calls his "alto" scale. It isn't bad, per se, but I do notice it if I switch between instruments during a playing session.

Truth be told, if Aaron made a "true" concert scale, I likely wouldn't have made this thread and probably just bite the bullet and immediately get on his build list for a cedar top. I do love my Beansprout, and it might be what I end up doing anyway, dispite it being an "alto"... (Please note that I think his alto scale is just fine, I just slightly prefer the just *slightly* longer scale I am used to on most of my instruments. I can make the switch between them, it just takes me a few minutes to readjust.)

I have never played one, but Kremona makes a Cedar Rosewood Concert.

I have never played one, but Kremona makes a Cedar Rosewood Concert.

Thanks for that! Kremona was a brand that wasn't even on my radar.

@jrdavies that’s a solid recommendation.

@Cluze UUer Peter Kun Frary has published a thorough review of the tenor scale length Kremona Coco over on Fraryguitar.com. It’s a very fair review; you’d do well to read it if you haven’t already.
Thanks, that's a great in-depth review. Very nice!

Top Bottom