Concert Neck Backbowed - Final Report

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Preface: This is about the process I tried to correct a backbowed neck.
It is not a criticism of Islander. The uke itself has a nice rounded-out "woofy" sound.

Bought a new Islander MC-4-EQ but determined (after the return window, of course) that the neck has (or was) slightly backbowed. It is not twisted, just bowed. House humidity is not the problem, and it was never in direct sunlight. I let it set for about 2 months and it has not changed. The neck is mahogany.

There is some clearance (~.5mm) at the 12th fret but it needs to be about 2.0-2.5mm. See <edits>, below.

I'm not afraid of making it worse, as string buzz makes it unplayable in its current state.

Is there a way to "coax" the neck to normal, such as over-humidifying, heating with a blow dryer, putting weight on the neck... I have an Arbor press of suitable size and can devise a cradle to support the neck as I force it. How far to over-push it, assuming it will recover to some extent? How long to hold it under pressure? I have a dial indicator to show the progress.

I realize that I could cheat by raising the saddle, but that could cause other problems. I want to "fix" the neck.

Any ideas or hints would be welcomed.

<edit 1> 12 Apr
I found some ideas, here:

<edit 2> 13 Apr
Trying Irwin Quick-Grip rubber-faced clamp... can't hurt. Kill it or cure it ;)

Tried clamping for a few hours, then releasing and tuning strings up to tension. There was some discernable change. Reclamped.
After a few releases and bringing strings up to tension checks, it may be working. I re-clamped and left it overnight.

Note that the neck is suspended on blocks under the heel and near the nut; not by the body. The fulcrum is over the 5th & 6th frets.

<edit 2> 14 Apr
In the morning there was measurable movement in the right direction. Will check again this evening as it will have had some warming due to a few hours of sun through the window. Switched to using a metal machinist ruler in .5mm increments - much more accurate and easier to see than the plastic card.

As of 18:00 today, 12th fret clearance is at 1mm. So, about 24 hours of being clamped netted me about .5mm change.
Good, so far. This will take some time... Improved clamp setup by adding block to put pressure on frets 5-7, previously on 7-9.
It will be left clamped overnight.

<edit 3> 15 Apr
09:00 Checked clearance. It made to 1.5mm over the last 12 hours. Left it tuned for a few hours... after about 2 hours and multiple tunings "at tension," it still sits at 1.5mm. The neck looks dead flat. It plays fine. No buzz.

I seriously doubt that I could compress the fretboard end-to-end so maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Taking a chance with one more overnight clamp-down. Will release and measure gap around 11:00 am tomorrow. BTW, I've been giving the clamp a "good hard squeeze" every time - fairly consistent as I can feel when I've hit the wall. The uke definitely cannot be moved when clamped down.

<edit 4> 16 Apr
10:00 am - released clamp and tuned. Gap was just a hair over 1.5mm. Reclamping for another 10 hours. Good sun, today. If I can get it close to 2mm, I'll quit. Rechecked at 18:00. It is just under 2mm. I have been getting the most movement by pressing down on frets 5 & 6.

(I have been hoping most of the pressure from the rubber jaws ends up on the fretboard and not entirely on the top of the frets. I detect no fret height changes.) Going for 2.0mm overnight. Reclamped.

<edit 5> 17 Apr
07:00 Released clamps and tuned. It measured a solid 2mm. But by 11:00 it had gone back to 1.5mm. This is not fatal, as it still plays well.
No more clamping for about 1 week. Just keeping it tuned to play. Will report back as to where it settled. Crossing my fingers.

<edit 6> 20 Apr
It has settled at a bit over 1.5mm, which is good. I am still amazed at how stable this neck wood is. Those fibers are not easily letting go.
Reclamped on frets 6-7 at 15:30, as it will get direct sun all day tomorrow. Will unclamp after the sun wanes, around 5:00. Still shooting for it to settle around 2.0-2.5mm.

<edit 7> 21/22 Apr
It is staying "just under" 2mm... Checking every few hours.

TBC... Tune in on 24 Apr for the final report.

Attachments

• Backbow Clamp - 14 Apr.JPG
    Backbow Clamp - 14 Apr.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Backbow Clamp - 16 Apr.JPG
    Backbow Clamp - 16 Apr.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Rubber Jaw on Frets.JPG
    Rubber Jaw on Frets.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Neck backbow final report: 24 Apr, 2022

This was worth trying. No heat with an air (hair) dryer or softening the wood with moisture was tried, as the risks of damage were too high.

I found there was a limit as to how far one could expect to bend a neck without damage. Realizing that the fretboard is firmly glued to the actual neck, and that they become one very thick inflexible laminate, they were nearly unbendable. It has settled and is again playable. I "cured" it.

No frets were harmed in this experiment :)

Last edited:
I have straightened several guitarnecks by building a cardboard box around the neck, installing a 25W bulb inside( so it heats the air not directly the neck) I kept the temperature at 80 centigrade with a thermostat but it can be done manually. I placed it under tension and tightened it a bit more every day and kept it for a week, until it only flexed back to where I wanted it.

Let it cool down under tension for a few days.

Thanks, Poul. My ultimate goal is a solid 2.5mm so I may try your method* (but not for at least a month or 2).

(*Oh, that's about 180F!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom