Concert Samples -- Which do you like best?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Finally got around to recording some concert samples! Same game as last time, listen to the clips and tell me your thoughts. I'll PM whoever participates with the answers as to which ukes they are.

Here's the link; hopefully it works this time!

Also, please give me some feedback on what you'd like to hear with these random samples. I tried something a little different this time, but what do you prefer to hear? Just a few simple 4-chord strums? A song? Individual strings? Single notes? Let me know!

Enjoy!

Yay! I love these. Really well done :) All four sounded great. 1 bit brighter than I prefer.
The final notes on 4 are super clean.
Overall I would go 2-4-3-1.
One thing you might add is playing open strings at different positions. And some harmonics.

4,2,3,1, but there is so little between 4 and 2 that I could have easily swapped the positions.

3-2-4-1

I think 3 was hurt by the position of it relative to the mic.

The sustain on 2 and 3 are there. Guessing both all solid wood?

1 is laminate

I think 3 is the oldest of the bunch.

2 is either the newest to you or you play it least of this group

Ok just a couple wild ass guesses to make it fun (y)

Enjoyed 2 very much. 1 was not pleasant at all. 3 was very quiet and not sure if it was the uke or the recording variables. 4 was quieter than 2 but louder than 3. Tone not quite as pleasing .

So 2 best for me, 1 worst. 3 quiet but pleasing, 4 between 2 and 3 on volume but between 2 and 1 for sound.

1 and 3 were my favorites, because of overall balance, clarity and sustain. I'm curious as to why 1 was so much louder than the other 3, and just guessing your position to the mic. Or it's a KoAloha. 🤣 All sounded nice, though. I agree that 3 was probably affected by mic position more than likely.

Thanks for another round! :)

(Add me to those curious if the first one’s volume/sonic attackiness is due to microphone placement and/or maybe warranted a microphone placement adjustment due to instrument characteristics. Moon Bird, perhaps…?)

Cheers
~ S

Thanks everybody for the comments! I'm glad you enjoy these.

So for all four, I tried recording sitting down at my desk with the phone on the edge of the desk. However, when I was trying to record #3, my cat jumped up on the desk and kept getting in my face, so I had to stand up to record that one, which obviously moved the soundhole above the mic instead of level with it. For #4 it's possible I was leaning back a bit in the chair while I was playing. #1 and 2 probably had the best placement in regards to soundhole next to the mic.

However, I will say that #1 is just a loud, boomy uke. I'll add some more descriptors to that one in the reveal besides just the wood.

Thanks for the samples.
I like #2 most; #1 is good too just a bit bright for my taste. #4 has potential. #3 is a bit strange sounding, like playing inside a cave or something :)

So for all four, I tried recording sitting down at my desk with the phone on the edge of the desk. However, when I was trying to record #3, my cat jumped up on the desk and kept getting in my face, so I had to stand up to record that one, which obviously moved the soundhole above the mic instead of level with it. For #4 it's possible I was leaning back a bit in the chair while I was playing. #1 and 2 probably had the best placement in regards to soundhole next to the mic.

Oh no, poor uke(s) got unfairly recorded.

Tough to say. In the spirit of guessing, I'll pretend that they're all made of different woods, and assign what wood I think they sound most like. My order might differ on a different day, but today: 1-4-2-3.

1 is a little too bright, but the note separation seems better, especially during strumming. Spruce?

4 sounds slightly better than 1 overall, but the notes seemed to blur together a bit during strumming. Koa?

2 was close behind 1 and 4 for me. Again, blurry notes during strumming. Mahogany or maybe koa?

3 I agree that it was negatively affected by the way it was recorded. Might be better than 2. Mango or mahogany?

Wow, most people really didn't like 1. I generally like bright sounding ukes, if they have some depth and aren't too shrill. I didn't have strong preferences in this case, so one of the biggest determiners was how well I thought the notes separated during strumming. Would love to hear these live or with high end equipment. I think HMS has spoiled me in that regard, even though I don't I have a decent mic myself.

I love sound samples. Thanks for doing this.

First listen: 1 is my least favorite. 2 is my preference. Can't decide between 3 and 4 for placement right now.
I'm going to have to listen again after I wake up more fully and am home from work, I guess.

Was your cat trying to influence votes? :)

I prefer #3.
3 - 4 - 2 - 1

Number one sounds a bit harsh to me.
Number 2 has a lot of sustain, but depending on what you play it might be a bit too much. I know you can mute it, but it also has a but less attack.
Number 3 and four sound more balanced to me, but number 3 came through better.

Just my taste in sounds.

I’m going to go with 4-2-1-3, although I bet 3 is better in person than it sounded due to positioning. I’m mostly just annoyed because I’m guessing one of them is the same eucalyptus Ohana that my wife has, but I can’t for the life of me figure out which one (2?).

My order would be 2, 4, 3, 1 with 2 as my favorite, 1 as my least favorite.

Top Bottom