Considering mid to high end sopranos

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
I normally play baritone and tenor ukuleles, but I’m starting to get into sopranos. I like the contrast between their toylike appearance, big brash sound, and ability to make serious music. I’m currently working on a real classic, Clara Polka, written for the predecessor to the ukulele.

My current soprano is a Kiwaya Koa Laminate that sounds surprisingly good. Would there be any benefit to upgrading to a more expensive solid wood instrument? I was looking at used Koalohas, but an Opio might be a better choice for something that is not my primary instrument. Would an Opio have a bit more clarity or richness than my Kiwaya? Unfortunately, there isn’t a local shop where I can try it out. My tenor is a Koaloha, so I am familiar with their tone.

I like the idea of a super soprano to give my sausage fingers more room and a few extra frets. Would that make it sound more like a concert than a soprano? I like the brightness and bark of a good soprano.

Thanks for your input.

If "Kiwaya Koa Laminate" means the Kiwaya KS-5 model, this is one of the best laminate soprano ukuleles on the market right now. These retail for around US$300 to $400. An Opio soprano retails for about the same price. The Opio does sound different, but I don't know if I would call it much better.

A long neck soprano will sound somewhere between a regular soprano and a concert, depending a lot on how far up the neck you play. The benefits to fat fingered people also depend a lot on how far up the neck you play. I don't think that soprano frets get very cramped until you start playing barre chords above the 10th fret.

If "Kiwaya Koa Laminate" means the Kiwaya KS-5 model, this is one of the best laminate soprano ukuleles on the market right now. These retail for around US$300 to $400. An Opio soprano retails for about the same price. The Opio does sound different, but I don't know if I would call it much better.

A long neck soprano will sound somewhere between a regular soprano and a concert, depending a lot on how far up the neck you play. The benefits to fat fingered people also depend a lot on how far up the neck you play. I don't think that soprano frets get very cramped until you start playing barre chords above the 10th fret.
I was about to say all this but you already did. 100% agree with this.

Reactions: EDW
My current soprano is the FS-5G—basically the same as the KS-5. You can get them for $300 on Amazon. I feel like the a-string loses clarity up the neck. There are some blemishes in the wood, and the finish has an orange peel texture. Maybe I was just wanting something fancier.

My current soprano is the FS-5G—basically the same as the KS-5. You can get them for $300 on Amazon. I feel like the a-string loses clarity up the neck. There are some blemishes in the wood, and the finish has an orange peel texture. Maybe I was just wanting something fancier.
Nothing wrong with wanting something fancier. KoAloha sopranos are great and long necks are great with a sound and feel that really does feel somewhere between a soprano and concert. I guess I’d think about what kind of tone you want. I love KoAlohas but they sound pretty different from a Martin (or Martin style) soprano. If you want that classic soprano tone something similar to a vintage Martin (or an actual vintage Martin) is the way to go. If you’re less particular about getting that tone, than yeah, go for a long neck soprano opio.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention vintage Martins. Playing my luthier’s old style 0 is what started me thinking about getting something nicer. I didn’t want to deal with the maintenance issues of an old instrument like that, though.

Funny you should mention vintage Martins. Playing my luthier’s old style 0 is what started me thinking about getting something nicer. I didn’t want to deal with the maintenance issues of an old instrument like that, though.
You should consider one of solid body kiwayas then. Maybe post a “want to buy” for a Kiwaya KTS-4 in the marketplace. They are excellent copies of Martin 0s and they typically sell used for somewhere between $400 and $500 which I think is comparable in price to a new opio.

Again, that’s only if you care about getting that classic tone.

Two for consideration:

Longneck sopranos are big fun...more room, and still the great soprano sound. Kiwaya/Famous has their KSU-1L, which got great reviews. Might be worth a look. This one in the link says Made In Japan, but they are Made In China. Baz did a favorable review on his Got A Ukulele website.

Kiwaya KSU-1L Soprano Ukulele https://reverb.com/item/33010124-ki...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33010124
That one I linked to had crazy shipping costs, this one from US has better shipping, assuming you are in US

Two for consideration:

I almost recommended that Rebel too. Those are great sopranos. Joe, you should definitely consider that mango Rebel.

There was a Hawaii Music Supply video where they did sound samples on various Kamaka ukuleles playing the same msuic on each. I remember it well because I posted a blind sound test on this forum based on that video. They had the HF-1 HF-1P HF-1L HF-2 and some others. The longneck soprano sounded much more like a soprano than a concert.

While seraching for that video, I came across this one:

If anybody has both an Opio longneck and a Kiwaya Koa laminate and can post a sound sample under the same playing/recording setup that's be interesting.

You might want to change the title of the post to better reflect what you’re looking for. Get more bites that way. I’m interested too

Top Bottom