Cool Vintage Kamaka on Reverb

rhiggie

I'm not the seller but in my ukulele searching I love seeing the variations on name brand ukes. This tenor Kamaka Liliu has several components you rarely see on one uke. For sure it's not a carved into the top pick guard, the grains are completely different, but still a cool feature to look at (I bet it takes away from the sound). It's listed at a "collectors" price and maybe rightfully so. Shame there isn't more of the story behind it. Anyway, enjoy... Rick

badhabits

So much going on there! That could be one for Shawn Yacavone.

Ad-LowG

UU VIP
UU VIP
Wil be interested to see what can be crowd-sourced about this one. Thanks for sharing!

ghostrdr

I'm not the seller but in my ukulele searching I love seeing the variations on name brand ukes. This tenor Kamaka Liliu has several components you rarely see on one uke. For sure it's not a carved into the top pick guard, the grains are completely different, but still a cool feature to look at (I bet it takes away from the sound). It's listed at a "collectors" price and maybe rightfully so. Shame there isn't more of the story behind it. Anyway, enjoy... Rick

That’s pretty cool. I don’t understand the pick guard thing. Is it possible that they Shaved down that area of the soundboard and attached a pick guard which later fell off?

merlin666

I would call this unique and not rare. Though the Lili'u was officially invented in 1959 this is likely an early design or even prototype where they tested out a few features. A much simpler prototype is featured on the Kamaka site:

Last edited: