Covid-19: what was it like for you?

PeterRabit

Verified Account
Reaction score
Firstly, if you've had the virus I hope you and all your loved ones have come through ok the other side. I'd be really interested to know what it actually felt like for different people.
They're no longer testing here unless you're unfortunate enough to end up in hospital and information on what it's symptoms are, apart from "fever and cough" are scarce. What was it like for you? Did you have a sore throat, headache, blocked nose / ears / other? Hard to know what's going on when you can't be sure if it's a cold or flu or more.

Take care all,

No testing? Where are you located? I expect that, as things escalate here in the US, testing will end, and people who have non life threatening symptoms will be told to just assume you have the virus, and to go home and self quarantine.

In the UK, and that is excatly what the advice is - if you have a fever and / or new persistent cough to stay home and self isolate.

My wife, sister and I all got flu shots the last week in September 2019. About 4-5 days later Sis (who lives with us)and I had mild flu symptoms: body aches, fever, runny nose and cough. This lasted for another 4-5 days and left us with a runny nose and productive cough. A lot of phlegm. This continued through Oct-Nov when we’d had enough and went to our respective Drs.
Our o2 blood saturation was way low. They put us on o2, assigned us pulmonary Drs and gave us x-rays and CT scans. We both had pulmonary fibrosis which neither of us had when last tested.
We both recovered somewhat, Sis got off o2 entirely and I only used it when walking or exercising.
Then, in Jan. I relapsed enough to scare me into going to the emergency room and be admitted. They screened me for all kinds of bacterial/viral infection but no covid19 test were available. I spent 3 days in the hospital, on o2 while they tried to figure out what was going on. The only thing they found was RSV, the most common cold bug around but it really attacked my lung function. I recovered from that but I’m using o2 24-7 now. I'm 71.
Non critical tests at the hospital have been canceled due to the Covid situation so my further tests have been pushed back until May earliest.
Do I have Covid19? Don’t know. I have blood panel surveys and another CT scan on hold until the hospital gets back to normal or my condition gets worse. Until then, don't know.

Last edited:
This is surely the most devastated Pandemic of recent times which is certainly changing the world and whenever it is going to end, the world would not be the same as it is now.

My brother had it, and it was really horrible... I hope I will never have COVID because I have heart issues, and I am really scared. Do you think any supplements and vitamins can help with improving your immune system? I found some on Canadian Pharmacy, and I really wanna take those. Maybe you can help me with it, thanks :)

Last edited:
its like death and illness ... people dying dear ones dying strangers dying .... how else would it be ?!

Covid-19 symptoms I have is worsened

Did you have a sore throat, headache, blocked nose etc. It is hard to know what's going on when you can't be sure if it's a cold or flu or more.
If you've had the virus I hope you and all your loved ones have come through ok the other side. I'd be really interested to know what it actually felt like for different people. Share some ideas

I decided to take advantage of self-isolation. I improved my cooking skills. Also, I could spend more time practicing the uke.

Not much change really. Less places, museums, arrangements to go to, no family visits but now all restrictions have been lifted.

I replenished my food stock already in february 2020, incl. masks, that were available on the internet, so no anxiety about shortage of food and I have a stock of water for 20 days, 50-60 days in an emergency. But there wasn't any shortages except masks and toilepaper :) and I went shopping for food as usual.

Other spareparts in the house as well, so have been restoring guitars, mandolins and interesting bicycles and started learning mandolin.

I used to travel 4-8 days per month for work.

Since May of 2020, all of that got cancelled.

Meetings and presentations for work are now all via Zoom/FaceTimes/Skype or Teams.

Family conversations also via Zoom/FaceTime.

I live alone in NYC, and have had both shots, and still now in September 2021 am wearing a mask and latex gloves whenever I go out because the Delta variant is still contagious and still killing people, and you can be a carrier even if vaccinated and you have no symptoms. I also have other health issues to worry about that put me at higher risk.

I isolate as much as possible, which is not hard for me, because I have always been a loner and am content to just be in my own space in my apartment. This is not for everybody, I am sure.

For me, there are some benefits to the current situation:

- I have more free time because of not having to travel. (right now you could not pay me enough to travel by air or train)
- I have improved my cooking skills and healthy eating. (lost some weight too)
- I have more time for yoga and for ukulele practice.

I do worry that the virus will become a permanent concern, and also find it interesting that we are not as of yeat hearing the big push for the annual fall season flu shot as of now around me. Typically this time of year we are bombarded with reminders to the the seasonal flu shot.

Covid-19 changes the varient of his virus every year. New symptoms are seen of this virus. If there is a fever or cough then the test should be done whether is it there or not

Different for everyone.
- Child number 1 had nothing more than a slight cold. She had come back from a week of camp and if not for current times we would have assumed it was her usual post camp recovery from not sleeping much all week and running around. Not uncommon for her to have “cold”like symptoms after a week of camp. It did end up affecting her taste and smell a bit.

- Child number 2 tried to catch it (there’s a whole story there) and couldn’t no matter how hard she tried.

- My wife was on a bit of a roller coaster ride. She NEVER naps. She would go 2 days feeling a little off and then spend a day in bed. For her to nap she had to be feeling bad. Then she’d feel good for a day or three and have another day in bed. It destroyed her sense of smell… as in she couldn’t smell things. She did start to get it back but she decided to get vaccinated and now her tastebuds and sense of smell are messed up. A lot of things all smell the same and smell horrible… like they can maker feel sick to her stomach. Things that can smell the same - coffee, pulled pork, poop, deli sandwiches, etc. All unrelated yet all having the same horrible smell and taste… we’ll, she hasn’t tried poop to see if it would have the same taste as the other things.

- I quickly felt like I had been hit by a truck. It’s not the worst I’ve ever felt but it was close. I spent a lot of time in bed because I was sleeping and sweating. After a few days I was feeling a little better but by that time my primary care doc and my onc both said they would like me to get monoclonal antibodies. I did and that night was the worst. Shivers, sweating buckets, beyond weak and out of it. Next morning I was feeling pretty clear headed.

along with the chills, fever, sweating and fatigue— I had a cough, sinus congestion and one of the worst headaches I’ve ever had. The only one I vividly remember being worse was the result of a spinal leak if that can give any reference.

I don’t know if any of that helps you. I live in a small house. Three out of four got it all at the same time (so I’m assuming the same strand) and it hit us all differently.

My wife, sister and I all got flu shots the last week in September 2019. About 4-5 days later Sis (who lives with us)and I had mild flu symptoms: body aches, fever, runny nose and cough. This lasted for another 4-5 days and left us with a runny nose and productive cough. A lot of phlegm. This continued through Oct-Nov when we’d had enough and went to our respective Drs.
Our o2 blood saturation was way low. They put us on o2, assigned us pulmonary Drs and gave us x-rays and CT scans. We both had pulmonary fibrosis which neither of us had when last tested.
We both recovered somewhat, Sis got off o2 entirely and I only used it when walking or exercising.
Then, in Jan. I relapsed enough to scare me into going to the emergency room and be admitted. They screened me for all kinds of bacterial/viral infection but no covid19 test were available. I spent 3 days in the hospital, on o2 while they tried to figure out what was going on. The only thing they found was RSV, the most common cold bug around but it really attacked my lung function. I recovered from that but I’m using o2 24-7 now. I'm 71.
Non critical tests at the hospital have been canceled due to the Covid situation so my further tests have been pushed back until May earliest.
Do I have Covid19? Don’t know. I have blood panel surveys and another CT scan on hold until the hospital gets back to normal or my condition gets worse. Until then, don't know.
I never thought being a hermit would actually have positives. Coping with loneliness, maintaining boundaries when wfh (which I loved doing even before, sometimes to my manager's annoyance), investing in a home office since I'm here so much, etc.

Strange times.

I got covid a few weeks ago. So did my wife and daughter. Wife and I are both vaccinated. Daughter is 4, so cannot be. Each of us got through with mild symptoms and no issues breathing.

In Australia, we have faired reasonably well for the size of the country. Major city areas have been harder hit, but health care has coped reasonably well.
Plenty of opinions on Vaccination mandating, and also quite a few protests, but this arguing will play out for years, both in the Media and even the Courts.
Still, I am pleased to say that the majority of our population of 25 Million has been vaccinated ( around 85 %) double vaccinated and some even getting boosters now. (12 years and over).
Major Metropolitan areas have endured months of lockdown, but love them or hate them, you have to believe that your politicians are doing what is right for the people. (If your view is different, that's fine, have your say next time you vote.)
We may have to live with this for a while to come, but have heart, that we will come out at the other side, bigger, stronger and more resilient than before.
Best wishes to all, and HAPPY STRUMMING.

I got covid a few weeks ago. So did my wife and daughter. Wife and I are both vaccinated. Daughter is 4, so cannot be. Each of us got through with mild symptoms and no issues breathing.
So glad that it sounds as if they were mild cases and that all have fully recovered. My wife's cousin after a year still is on supplemental oxygen and thus, almost no stamina. My daughter's friend just got off corticosteroids after almost a year on them. I am glad I am in the Bay Area in California where a large majority have taken it seriously from the beginning and continue to do so.

So glad that it sounds as if they were mild cases and that all have fully recovered. My wife's cousin after a year still is on supplemental oxygen and thus, almost no stamina. My daughter's friend just got off corticosteroids after almost a year on them. I am glad I am in the Bay Area in California where a large majority have taken it seriously from the beginning and continue to do so.
A lot of people just don't know what to do after recovering from Covid. Of course, it's imperative to get vaccinated and continue to practice the preventive measures that protect yourself and others from the virus, like social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing your hands regularly. But it is better to address a doctor and consult. I've recently read that according to Online Pharmacy, patients with severe Covid can develop a systemic inflammatory response that can lead to lung injury and multisystem organ dysfunction. The anti-inflammatory effects of corticosteroids might prevent or mitigate these deleterious effects. To be honest, I found it out only a week or so ago, though several members of my family got Covid. Maybe not every doctor gives such recommendations.

Last edited:
My family is dealing with Covid right now. Basically it has been a lot like a summer cold...

Top Bottom