Crazy Sparkly Da Silva

Bluesy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Take a look at this incredibly glittery Da Silva sitka spruce/ ziricote tenor. Over the top and totally Vegas. My favorite part is the filled crack on its derriere.

I love bling yet this one is way out there, even for me. Wear your shades, you'll need 'em.

Listing here:
SUS
Video here:
Southern Ukulele Store - Da Silva Tenor

Bluesy.

If Elton John played tenor ukulele... :)

Thanks for the post Bluesy.

Wow, one of a kind for sure! In the video he says the sparkle and binding are artificial abalone. Is real abalone becoming hard to get? I assumed the abalone on high end ukes was real...

OMG the sound is as incredible as the look.

No thanks. Too blingy. Each to his own.

Wow, one of a kind for sure! In the video he says the sparkle and binding are artificial abalone. Is real abalone becoming hard to get? I assumed the abalone on high end ukes was real...
They might have gone with fake abalone so they didn't have to worry about import/export issues.

I think even Liberace would say too much!

Love the fret markers, but that is way too over-the-top for me. If you tuned that done about 70 percent, the general theme is actually very clean.

Yeah, I'm another one for too blingy; I usually don't like bling at all. My most blingy uke is a Romero Replica, and I wish it didn't have the abalone rosette and binding. I find it interesting that the much more expensive Romero custom that mine's a replica of has very little bling and no abalone.

But I agree that the abalone crack at the bottom of the Da Silva is pretty. It's much more subtle than all the business going on in the front. The koa binding looks nice too.

A lot of species are endangered. But even then, if you look at commercial suppliers of pieces of binding, purfling, abalone etc. and other building materials to luthiers, real abalone is not actually expensive. In fact on an expensive ukulele it's quite a cheap thing to add. I find it unfortunate that it gets used so much when it's neither actually valuable (in the small strips sold for use in inlays, rosettes and purfling) nor ethical, and adds expenses from trade law permits (like HMS asks for something like $93 extra to ship internationally if there's any tiny piece of it on the instrument).
There are a lot of nice woods and synthetic bling materials that would be nicer IMO :)

A lot of species are endangered. But even then, if you look at commercial suppliers of pieces of binding, purfling, abalone etc. and other building materials to luthiers, real abalone is not actually expensive. In fact on an expensive ukulele it's quite a cheap thing to add. I find it unfortunate that it gets used so much when it's neither actually valuable (in the small strips sold for use in inlays, rosettes and purfling) nor ethical, and adds expenses from trade law permits (like HMS asks for something like $93 extra to ship internationally if there's any tiny piece of it on the instrument).
There are a lot of nice woods and synthetic bling materials that would be nicer IMO :)
I'm not following you around on the site, I swear!

But I've got several ukes that use wood for their "bling" and it looks great. I'm just starting to get into building myself and Petros sells his supplies and does rosettes and fret markers made out of wood that look fancy and great -- and no issues with imports/exports etc.

I'm not following you around on the site, I swear!

But I've got several ukes that use wood for their "bling" and it looks great. I'm just starting to get into building myself and Petros sells his supplies and does rosettes and fret markers made out of wood that look fancy and great -- and no issues with imports/exports etc.
Sweet. That would be a dream if one day I live in a house with a space for a workshop. Lutherie is such a beautiful mix of precise art and science. This is why I spent some time procrastinating and looking at all manners of lutherie supplies.

A very flamboyant looking ukulele.

If it sounds as good as they say, who cares what it looks like?

When I see the range of hats and shirts people like to wear for their ukulele lifestyle and some of the other eccentric things they do, I wonder why they baulk at a nice flamboyant looking ukulele, which would sound great if the blurb is true, and its made by a well known maker. What is wrong with some flamboyance in your ukulele lifestyle, what are you so afraid of that you wont play a ukulele that has a bit of sparkle in the optics?

Sadly, it appears that we may be coming to a period of history when it wont be so easy to find such a well built and interesting instrument that is so easy to access if you have the money available. Anyone who likes to be a collector and is a fan of Mike Da Silva should seriously consider snapping up this uke sooner rather than later.

Likely for most of us, sound is the number one thing. But for many of us, it is not the only thing. I'm especially picky about looks; I won't even buy if I think the bridge or headstock is ugly. It's not like I can't find ukes that fit my preferences in both looks and sound.

I have no doubt that Mike DaSilva could make me a phenomenal ukulele in sound and appearance. I've seen a number of beautiful DaSilvas and assume most if not all of them sound amazing. But I would not take this one for free if I could not turn around and sell it, modify it, or give it away.

Sometimes I like flamboyance. Sometimes I like simplicity. In the case of musical instruments, it's mostly the latter. I'm sure it will sell--some people are bound to find it attractive. It would be great if someone here buys it and provides a review, because I do think it's quite interesting. I'd even love to try it out. But I wouldn't want to own it. Just not to my taste.

It sounds lovely. Definitely too blingy for me, but I can see it finding the right home with someone who enjoys the look, too.
It certainly will stand out in a crowd. :)

What the heck is "imitation" Abalone? Do you still have to beat it with a tenderizing hammer before frying it?

What the heck is "imitation" Abalone? Do you still have to beat it with a tenderizing hammer before frying it?
I googled it, and there is actually canned imitation abalone meat which is either squid and abalone seasonings or squid and other abalone-type shellfish. Who knew?

Adding the word "shell" to the search terms brings up a bunch of results on how to make your own. It seems to be made out of lots of different things. Painted glass, wood, polymers, resin. Some of them look quite good.

Top Bottom