Custom Ukulele and tone wood

pmg2021

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been looking for another ukulele to buy for awhile and finally decided to order a custom ukulele. I am torn between getting a tenor that is made of cedar top and rosewood back/sides or redwood top and rosewood back/sides or possibly mahogany. I used to own an all mango ukulele and found it was too warm for me and decided to buy an all Koa ukulele which is absolutely beautiful. I also used to own a spruce top with koa back and sides but found it too punchy. Of course I know it depends on the bracing of the instrument and the Luthier but I would like some guidance. What I am looking for is something that will be heard when playing with a group of others but isn't in your face and something warm but not as bright and with some bass. I've looked at threads about custom ukuleles and also the ranking from warm to bright but just wanted some guidance. Any help is appreciated.

I think this would come down to the builder and string choice more than the cedar vs redwood. Either should get you in the same ballpark

Top Bottom