D'Addario Nyltech Soprano Strings?

Papa Tom

Reaction score
Someone just gave me a set of these (high G) to try on my soprano. I've been using Aquila Nylguts from an older batch all along and I like the brightness of them. In fact, I prefer a "twangy" sound on my ukes, rather than the pretty Hawaiian tones many have. So am I going to like the D'Addario's, or should I re-gift them?

Nyltechs from Daddario are mellower than Nylguts. Maybe if you use a D tuning on your soprano uke (like me) these strings could show you their bright side.

I use the D'Addario Nylguts on my Martin S1 and I like them because they are a bit mellower. They are not "twangy" like you prefer. You may want to re-gift them if you don't like a mellower tone.

I like the D'Addarios. They sound and feel, to me, more like the original Nylguts (as opposed to the "New Nylguts).

Scooter

I especially like the Nyltechs for soprano... well-rounded sound made ideally for gCEA tuning.

Last edited:
>>>Aren't they made by Aquila for D'Addario? <<<<

Oh, I don't know. Can anybody answer that one?

Yes, they are made by Aquila for Daddario.

Do they snap then?

Yes, they are made by Aquila for Daddario.

Actually, I believe they are made in the USA by D'Addario using Aquila's proprietary formula.

The back of the package says, "Developed in cooperation with Aquila", has a logo on the back with "NYLTECH developed by Aquilla" and clearly says "Made in USA" on both the front and back of the package.

There's a lot that I like about these strings. Great tone, great feel, made in America and Mimmo's family makes money as well.

Scooter

I was given a new set for tenor two days ago, and not sure weather to try them or pass them on?

If you like aquilas the nyltechs are definitely worth a try. They are comparable and less expensive.

For a short while I had two concert flukes, one with nyltechs (replaced hilos) and one with the factory aquilas. I preferred the feel of the nyltechs over the aquilas. Both strings seemed pretty similar with string diameter and tension.

At the moment I personally much prefer oasis strings, or martin m600s to either the nylguts or nyltechs.

Actually, I believe they are made in the USA by D'Addario using Aquila's proprietary formula.

The back of the package says, "Developed in cooperation with Aquila", has a logo on the back with "NYLTECH developed by Aquilla" and clearly says "Made in USA" on both the front and back of the package.

There's a lot that I like about these strings. Great tone, great feel, made in America and Mimmo's family makes money as well.

Scooter

Sorry, Scooter is right. Nyltechs are made in america with an Aquila's formula.

Last edited:
I have been using Nyltechs on soprano for a while and I really like them. They have a nice tone color, rich and full with good intonation.

An interesting thread revived. I have recently gone back to try Aquila. I put new Nylgut on my TT and really like. Next order with String by Mail, I will try Super Nylgut and Sugars. I’ve always liked Reds despite occasional problems. Lava was always too plastic feeling and high tension. I will seek out and get Nylteh to try.

From past thread I have found that New Nylgut, Super, and Laval are all the same thichness. Reds are thinner.
Carbon black by Aquila no longer sold by them….they are exclusive to Martin, called poly tech or something like that. Looking forward to Sugars and many thread on their brightness and they are supposed to be thinner than New Nylgut but slightly thicker than fluro with fluro sound.

The most important thing I want to recommend and reason for comments at all on this subject, having not tried Nyltech yet………is IMHO you have to leave any string on for a few weeks to a month…..particularly Aquila to get true sound and feel. I would assume Nyltech would be the same. In the past I have been guilty with all kinds of string of making a snap decision based on feel, sound or even my mood and pulled strings way to early. My motto is give them a month of good playing before you decide.

YMMV….good luck with any new strings you try…..

Forgot to mention, my reference point is strictly on tenors………I don’t play soprano so just a general comment on string, Aquila and Nyltech!

An interesting thread revived. I have recently gone back to try Aquila. I put new Nylgut on my TT and really like. Next order with String by Mail, I will try Super Nylgut and Sugars. I’ve always liked Reds despite occasional problems. Lava was always too plastic feeling and high tension. I will seek out and get Nylteh to try.

From past thread I have found that New Nylgut, Super, and Laval are all the same thichness. Reds are thinner.
Carbon black by Aquila no longer sold by them….they are exclusive to Martin, called poly tech or something like that. Looking forward to Sugars and many thread on their brightness and they are supposed to be thinner than New Nylgut but slightly thicker than fluro with fluro sound.

The most important thing I want to recommend and reason for comments at all on this subject, having not tried Nyltech yet………is IMHO you have to leave any string on for a few weeks to a month…..particularly Aquila to get true sound and feel. I would assume Nyltech would be the same. In the past I have been guilty with all kinds of string of making a snap decision based on feel, sound or even my mood and pulled strings way to early. My motto is give them a month of good playing before you decide.

YMMV….good luck with any new strings you try…..

I too have discovered that to make a fair judgement it’s usually necessary to leave Strings on and used (say daily) for several weeks, it can take quite a while for strings to stretch out and settle and not until then do they seem to give of their best.

Nylguts work well - when they first became available they were a fantastic improvement over what else was available - but I find that Super Nylguts are an improvement on New Nylguts; YMMV. Whilst I don’t bother buying New Nylgut I choose to have the Supers on a couple of Ukes. I’ve searched high and low for the quote by a particular well respected guy, IIRC his take was that the Supers are slightly mellower and fuller sounding than the News, I’d agree with that. Martin M600’s have given me good and reliable service too, I’m very pleased with them, but they don’t suit everyone or every instrument. A few weeks back I swoped out New Nylguts for Martins on an inexpensive but well set-up laminate Uke, the Uke’s performance went up from perfectly fine to that’s really pretty useful - they suit that Uke. I swoped out Aquilas on a long neck Soprano for Martins and the result didn’t please at all, sometimes it’s like that.

Last edited:
I’ll likely put Super Nylgut on so they follow the New Nylgut. Then for a change in pace go to Sugars. I expect they will be a very different string From what I have read.

i really like Oasis bright, they are great value. Martins are fine and like D’Addario carbon. I’m on a concert string on tenor ukulele kick these days. I think I like the New Nylgut because they are concert. Someone thinner. They don’t have the booming C string I’ve found on tenor Aquila.

Kanile’a uses Super as their go to string so I’m in trying them. I am Surprised that guitar stores only handle New Nylgut and a some D’Addario string but not Supers. I’ve read Supers were to be the improvement over New Nylgut. Somewhere in amongst all this string playing, I will try the Nyltech.

Finally, one string, one brand, one type of material does not suite all ukuleles. It’s fun trying and also, after 8 years playing to re examine, what I thought I KNEW about string.

hello guys,
Nyltech strings are made in our headquarter here in Italy. Every month we receive an order of bulk strings from Daddario. They are packaged in USA. We have with them a very good relationship.
Take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
EDW and I have both been having a bit of a Nytech/Nylgut renaissance lately and have been discussing and trying to figure out the difference between the current Nylguts and Nyltechs. I had some Super Nylguts on my Weymann soprano and then tried some Nyltechs. I was really suprised by how different they are. The Nyltechs have more tension, snapiness, volume, clarity and to my ear better string to string balance. While I wouldn't say they are at all similar to flourocrabon I feel like they are less dissimilar from flourocarbon compared to the Supers. On the flip side the Supers are fuller, smoother, more blended sounding, and more sustaining. While playing I found myself prefering the feel and sound of the Nyltechs, but listening back to recordings I can honestly say I didn't have a strong preference. I guess for instrumental stuff I would tend to prefer the Nyltechs, especially for chord melody where you really want to hear the melody notes within the chords. For strumming and singing I may lean towards the Super Nylguts, but could go either way. Anyway, at the moment I have the Nyltechs on the Weymann and the Supers on my Pohaku. Both are working well for me for now, though I may go back to flourocarbon at some point, at least on one of my ukes.

As I was researching this stuff I ran across some old threads where people said the Nyltechs are most similar to the original Nylgut formula. I also was reading the descriptions through the descriptions of Aquila's classical guitar sets and noted that every reference to Nylgut in those set simply say "Nylgut" not "Super Nylgut" or "New Nylgut", all of which appear to be different trademarks. I've never tried Aquila's classsical strings but this leads me to wonder if those are the original formula and perhaps more simialr to the Nyltechs; I may order a set of trebles for my nylon string guitar. Regardless, the Nyltechs are clearly a differnet formula from the Super Nylguts and while I haven't compared them to "New Nyguts", they seem pretty different from what I remember those being like. The actual strings are much stiffer and you can really tell this when you are tying the knots for the bridge. The Nyltechs also seem to be a bit of a softer material or perhaps have a coating on them. I only think this because when I was stringing them through my tuner holes I noticed that when the string rubbed against the edge of the holes waxy little shavings would occassionhally come off. To be clear this is on good Peghead tuners that do not have sharp edges and there was no damage to the strings, it was almost like thin layer of wax or something was rubbing off or something. Again, I new the Nyltechs were not identical, but I was jut quite suprised by how different they are.

I always make a quick recording for later reference when I change strings.

Here is the Weymann with "Nytech": https://photos.app.goo.gl/4jwsYjjw62tar1Ai8

...and here it is with "Super Nylgut": https://photos.app.goo.gl/myos6Lv7dgnKaZPy5

These aren't great recordings so I wouldn't use them to judge which you like better, but hopefully they illustrate that they sound suprisingly different.

(P.S. Don't be like me. Don't waste your time with this stuff. I'd be a better player if I didn't, but I just can't help myself.)

Top Bottom