Strings Daughter's baritone uke strings

Doug W

Reaction score
I have my own opinions for string brands for other size and wood type ukes but I don't have a baritone.

My daughter has a Mainland Mango baritone and her strings need changing.

Anybody put a new set on your baritone that made you scream and dance?

Looking for opinions. She mostly finger picks the baritone.

Thanks

I know what I like (Worth Brown), but I’m me.

Strings and plectra represent our physical connection to the instrument, so are necessarily going to be a very personal choice. Pretty much Every type of string has its adherents.

Fortunately, strings are cheap. No reason not to try all of them.

I have two baritones (neither a MM which I still think I want, congrats to your daughter) and have tried 9 different sets of strings on each. Yet to find that scream and dance combination but I did find sets which I do not like at all. Started with wound combos then went to all fluro Living Waters. Now I have switched to Martin M630 set which sound and feel good plus stay in tune that I intend to keep on for rest of this year or so I tell myself. By 2024 I might be playing well enough to start searching for a new set.

Its a matter of try and try and try again until She finds a set that feels and sounds right to Her for how She currently plays. Please share what your Daughter ends up liking as it may point me toward the next strings to try.

I have two baritones (neither a MM which I still think I want, congrats to your daughter) and have tried 9 different sets of strings on each. Yet to find that scream and dance combination but I did find sets which I do not like at all. Started with wound combos then went to all fluro Living Waters. Now I have switched to Martin M630 set which sound and feel good plus stay in tune that I intend to keep on for rest of this year or so I tell myself. By 2024 I might be playing well enough to start searching for a new set.

Its a matter of try and try and try again until She finds a set that feels and sounds right to Her for how She currently plays. Please share what your Daughter ends up liking as it may point me toward the next strings to try.
I’ve had Martin M630s on my Ohana Baritone for over a year and they sound great. Admittedly, it doesn’t get played much, but that’s still impressive.

Like others mentioned, strings are cheap. Try a bunch and find the ones that sing.

Thanks for the replies. I happen to have a Martin M630 set at home. I accidentally bought them from a local music store a few years ago. They were beside a tenor set which I thought I was grabbing.

The package says these are for GCEA tuning. I should have mentioned that I am looking for DGBE tuning.

I do use Worth Browns on my tenor and Martin M600s on a soprano that I play infrequently.

Thanks again. I will let you know my impressions of whatever I get.

Thanks for the replies. I happen to have a Martin M630 set at home. I accidentally bought them from a local music store a few years ago. They were beside a tenor set which I thought I was grabbing.

The package says these are for GCEA tuning. I should have mentioned that I am looking for DGBE tuning.

I do use Worth Browns on my tenor and Martin M600s on a soprano that I play infrequently.

Thanks again. I will let you know my impressions of whatever I get.
You may want to double-check the packaging for that set of Martin strings. The M630s are definitely DGBE Baritone strings.

You may want to double-check the packaging for that set of Martin strings. The M630s are definitely DGBE Baritone strings.
Interesting. Maybe Martin mislabeled some sets. When I look online now, I see the sets are described as DGBE.
20230315_085033.jpg

Last edited:
I know how this goes at the factory. Larry gets called into the office on Monday. Bill, Larry's supervisor, asks. "How did the run of baritone string sets go on Friday?"

Larry says, "Great, all 1,000 sets were packaged and mailed out, on time!"

Bill asks, "And who is responsible for final inspection of the string sets?"

Larry begins to squirm.

Well, in the brief time since I started this thread and found out I have the correct baritone set here, I ordered new strings. I will try these M630s out and there will be a couple of extra sets around.

I change strings whenever they start to seem dull. I really don't think my daughter or wife change them until a string breaks.

I change strings whenever they start to seem dull. I really don't think my daughter or wife change them until a string breaks.
Lol I change strings when I get bored and just want to try something different. I've only had ukuleles for just over a year, and each have had at least two string changes! (ok the exception is the Famous I just love it with the Worth Browns).

I know how this goes at the factory. Larry gets called into the office on Monday. Bill, Larry's supervisor, asks. "How did the run of baritone string sets go on Friday?"

Larry says, "Great, all 1,000 sets were packaged and mailed out, on time!"

Bill asks, "And who is responsible for final inspection of the string sets?"

Larry begins to squirm.
I'm sorry, but I was on vacation that week! :rolleyes:

I have a Mainland Cedar/Rosewood baritone that came with Guadalupe strings. Thus far I've tried Worth, Oasis, Martin,
D Addario, Living Waters a few acoustic guitar strings and Uke Logic. My current set is Uke Logic unwound. I'm trying to decide if I prefer a wound D or G or both but Uke Logic is my favorite.

Lol I change strings when I get bored and just want to try something different. I've only had ukuleles for just over a year, and each have had at least two string changes! (ok the exception is the Famous I just love it with the Worth Browns).
I do that on occasion, too. Occasionally I end up with a set of duds, which is interesting, but not ever hoped for.

I too have tried a variety of bari strings. The best I’ve found are the custom set from the ukulele site. i don’t see them currently listed, but they are worth asking them about them. They have two wound and two floro strings. i like em a lot.

Well I did send a message to Martin about my funny string set, hoping that maybe they would send back something like maybe complementary string sets to make up for all the mental anguish, but no...

"Hello Doug,
Thank you for contacting C.F. Martin & Co.! Did you purchase these string recently? We had a packaging error in 2018 on our M630 Baritone Uke strings. The correct string gauges were in the package.
Thank you"

Last edited:
Nice try. So how do they sound? I'm swapping Martins on the Pono this weekend for Aho's after I make a new saddle for it.

Top Bottom