Dead sounding Pono MC

MarTay6

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just received a Reverb Pono MC uke, and am somewhat disappointed with the uke- in that it's rather dead sounding... not much life or character to it. Definitely not what I expected after reading and watching reviews.
Any suggestions as to a good type of strings for this uke- or recommendations please?
Thank you!

common knocks on Ponos that have been mentioned here are (in no particular order)- strings, quietness, heavy build, thick neck (no taper). I got rid of my MC because of a couple of those. New strings would be a good start, maybe good ol M600s or Uke logic?

Uke logic high tension strings did wonders to my Pono. Mine is a tenor cedar top, so your results may differ. I can say though the transformation was notable. I also have liked transforming it into a baby baritone, but that may not be an option for a concert.

Thanks very much for the quick replies!! Will try some new strings... I really want to like this uke!
Part of the problem is that I'm comparing the Pono Concert to some great ukes- all Tenors- KoAloha, Anuenue, Romero and an Enya... so that's pretty stiff competetition!!

Thanks very much for the quick replies!! Will try some new strings... I really want to like this uke!
Part of the problem is that I'm comparing the Pono Concert to some great ukes- all Tenors- KoAloha, Anuenue, Romero and an Enya... so that's pretty stiff competetition!!
Yes, indeed! I must say though that my Pono, with the right strings, goes pretty much head to head against my KoAloha. I currently use the KoAloha as my low G. The Pono is currently set up as a baby Bari.....but I might return it to a Hi G. I like the neck better and playability of the KoAloha, but the overtones on the Pono are remarkable. However, such was not the case until I found the right strings for the Pono. I also agree with Vic that the Pono needs to be broken in....I considered selling the Pono on several occasions until I found the right string set. Glad now I didn't.

Uke logic high tension strings did wonders to my Pono. Mine is a tenor cedar top, so your results may differ. I can say though the transformation was notable. I also have liked transforming it into a baby baritone, but that may not be an option for a concert.
Alex of SUS has posted he likes Uke Logic high tension on overbuilt ukes .

common knocks on Ponos that have been mentioned here are (in no particular order)- strings, quietness, heavy build, thick neck (no taper). I got rid of my MC because of a couple of those. New strings would be a good start, maybe good ol M600s or Uke logic?
What has taken the place of your Pono ?

Any US favorite sources for Uke Logic strings? I don't see them on Amazon.
And thanks again for all the info! Great help for a newbie!

Any US favorite sources for Uke Logic strings? I don't see them on Amazon.
And thanks again for all the info! Great help for a newbie!
TUS/HMS or direct from Joel on etsy

Pardon my ignorance- who is/are TUS/HMS please?

I like Uke Logics on my Ponos. I just received an MTC-SP tenor from them and I am so pleased as it sounds excellent. It's a cutaway tenor that's part of their Pro series lineup. I find in general I like the sound of the more deluxe models much better than the basic satin ones. I usually change out the Pono stock strings asap. but I even like this uke with the stock strings. Ponos do take time to open up, as others have said.

I put Worth CT-LG strings on mine. It helped but I find Pono’s need to be played so they will open up.
I'm with Vic - experiment with strings. Also very much agree that Pono's do seem to need to be played and take a little while to "turn on" for lack of a better descriptor. You may need to try two or more sets to get the sound you like the most.

Also consider if you got an older model from the reverb sales - some of those ukes are 2018 and 2019 models. Those strings have been strung a long time and might really be extra dead just because of age and being stuck at one tension for a very long time. But yes, many will say a string change is usually in order even on a New model Pono. Now take that and it's just exacerbated because of sitting idle and time passed on old stock models. Not much life in those strings. No wonder they are a bit dull.

New strings, experiment, and play.

Last edited:
I have two Pono tenor. I love Pono. I’ve read the complainta but don’t get it.

First try Flurocarbon strings. . Pono’s love fluro strings. I use Oasis brights. Great value but any will make it sound better. I have found Nylon string sound bad on Pono’s.

Regarding the next profile…..I like it. Some hate it….personal preference.

I don’t believe Pono’s are overbuilt. My AT and MTD-SP sound great. Are built well. I have read the sopranos tend to be dead and over built…….I don’t know about concerts.

sorry, a lot of rambling…change string to Flurocarbon , any kind, u tail you find what you like!

A set of Worth Brown LG strings worked well on my Pono MC.

Top Bottom