Decent Uke under $200?

rayray

Reaction score
Hello all, anyone know a budget uke that plays pretty well? Been playing for a while but havent touched one in about 6 months because of my work/location(Afghanistan). Which is why I want something under 200. It gets really dusty and potentially might get damaged while Im out here.

I would definitely check out the flea. It is very playable and sounds good. Action is great with great intonation. These are nice instruments, but especially under your circumstances, it makes even more sense because they are so durable. You don't have to worry about cracks, seam separation, neck issues, weather. They are very sturdy and will easily take any abuse.

Last edited:
I've got a Cordoba 20-TM mahogany tenor - real nice, bone nut and saddle, Aquila strings. About $160 everywhere.

And then I bought a $350 Kala. (g) They both play very nicely.

-Kurt

i'd wonder if you'd really want to put a quality wooden instrument through the hazards you mentioned--dust & potential damage. and even that's probably glossing over the harsh reality of your environment.

if i were you, i'd either save up for a quality wooden uke upon my return to wherever or get a flea/fluke that could more easily withstand such conditions. if i even accidentally bump one of my wooden ukes (all sub $600) on a door frame as i'm walking through the house, i get out the magnifying glass and serious lighting to check for any dings.

good luck!

3nails4holes - jus hadda say luv da sig!

If you really want something that won't break the bank, think how many Makala Dolphins you could have incidents with before you use up $200. They are smaller than the Flea, and pretty tough. You will need a good case of some kind, or keep it in it's cardboard box (some people add a layer of duct tape). Get some Aquila strings and your good to go.
–Lori

If you really want something that won't break the bank, think how many Makala Dolphins you could have incidents with before you use up $200. They are smaller than the Flea, and pretty tough. You will need a good case of some kind, or keep it in it's cardboard box (some people add a layer of duct tape). Get some Aquila strings and your good to go.
–Lori

I second this. Buy 3 Dolphins; maybe MGM will give you a deal. Then have a jam session with your buddies!

I'd go with a Mainland Gecko or Chili....they sound great, they're durable and cool looking.

I would go with the Flea if you can afford it

I am a big supported of the Makala dolphins, and think every home should have one - the Flea though is a league above, sounds better, looks unique, is bombproof, and will have zero set up issues.

I came to the uke a few years ago struggling on a shonky Mahalo, and an uninspiring Lanikai. A friend suggested I get a Flea and it was as if a huge light turned on when I got it. I now own a Fluke too

ditto on the Makala dolphin, but if you want something a little bigger/nicer/louder, how 'bout a Kala KA-C. this a mahogany laminate concert. I just got one and it's a decent uke. has a nice tone , good intonation, and projects pretty well. The laminate construction should be a plus in your climate. The only thing I didn't like about it was the finish. It didn't look like it had one,but a few coats of tung oil took care of it and now it looks great too.

Thanks for the input guys! All seems like good suggestions. So far I am thinking of Kala, or KPK, for the traditional look and from what I'm hearing, Good sound too. I'm still not sure yet. What I am sure of though is that I need to get my hands on a Uke! Lol...

Hey Rayray, not sure if you've saw this yet, but I think this would greatly help you. Fits your criterias nicely.

Awesome link! Thanks Lexxy! Some sweet playing on those demos too, eh... :)

I second the Flea
kids, dogs, cats, chickens and geese have failed in damaging
still sounds sweet

Given your "situation" (all the best to you by the way). I would go less that $100 and go for a Makala Dolphin or the Makala MK-S (soprano) or MK-C (concert, slightly bigger and little longer scale length). They play well. Get them from someone who sets them up prior to ship because stock, they suck. One good place is MGM on Ebay. Get some extra Aquila strings.

Have all your buddies sign it and when you get home, hang it on the wall and buy a nice one.

Good Luck in every way.

Thanks for the post Lexxy. This is great, I really want to get my hands on that Kala travel uke!

Top Bottom