Deed I Do - The Buck and a Quarter Quartet

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Here's another video, from a couple of weeks ago, our gig at SISTERS Bklyn. We were privileged to be joined by our friend, Kat Edmonson, along with John Gill on guitar. Ben Mealer, who many of you know, can be seen and heard here: we have a whole rhythm section in his ukulele and Brian Nalepka's bass. We play again tomorrow night if you're in NYC. :)

utterly gorgeous arrangement. especially the bass and percussion. unusual to see you without a uke in your hands John! that brass duo-solo was killa. my only complaint was the punters talkin through it all.

Thanks!! Yes - Ben is playing a national, which cuts through nicely. The arrangements are pretty organically arrived at in rehearsal, which is the fun part! Yeah, in this outfit, I started on tenor banjo and uke and now I'm almost only c-melody and Bb clarinet with a little uke thrown in. SISTERS has the biggest room we play in and we do well there in tips, but some nights, that first set is like movies from the early thirties - "All Talking!" :(

I love this. Have a fondness for this song in any case from Blossom Dearie's version, but this is great, vocal is top notch.

And yep, shame about the talking, no need! :stop:

Thank you!

I am biased about the vocal - I think Kat is the greatest - but I'm not alone: she has three albums out now in wide release and a fourth on the way. You can find them on iTunes and Google play.

J

You guys are GREAT. Next time I make it to NYC, I'll catch one of your gigs.

Thank you, Doc!! Well, you know that the next time you come here, we're taking you out for dinner or something suitably celebratory! And, of course, you'll have to sit in.

Don't suppose you have any plans to play across the pond sometime? NYC is a bit of a trek for me :D

Thank you! Man -I wish! No, we get paid enough to pay off the pros in the band and a little extra goes into the general fund, which contains enough in it for airfare for maybe two guys. It's an economic non-starter, though I wish we could do it! I have a friend with 11 pieces and the farthest they can travel is Westbury Long Island. :D

Like a breath of fresh air, I'm lovin' this to bits! Thanks John.

I'm glad you like it. Seriously, when Kat sings with us and Angus plays the bells, I just sit back and listen. Puts everything else in perspective.

Top Bottom