Demo- Pono Baby Baritone

I did a similar thing for my Pono AT-CR and I love how it sounds... big fat strings make Ponos sing.

I have 2 pono baritones now, but I'm dealing with it...

I bought a prepackaged "Baby Baritone" string set from strings by mail, however. $$$Expensive, but, ... easy!

Thank you! I'm so excited to try out this lower range - even more excited to hear it won't require minor surgery.

I just got my Pepe Romero baby bari strings. (stringsbymail is super quick, wow!)
Is this two sets that you cut in half, or just one set?

I just got my Pepe Romero baby bari strings. (stringsbymail is super quick, wow!)
Just one set.

Is the string tension a bit higher with the CF-35/WC set, or higher with the Romero's?
Thanks for your demonstrations...very informative.
How do you think each would work on a concert?

Is the string tension a bit higher with the CF-35/WC set, or higher with the Romero's?
Thanks for your demonstrations...very informative.
How do you think each would work on a concert?
Honestly I don’t remember there being a big difference in tension.
I’m not sure if it would work on a concert. I never tried it.
Someone else may chime in who has.

Please bear with me on this, so Baby Baritone is a tenor but with strings to give you appropriate tension for DGBE with high or low on the D. In your case you have use TI special D and used a Worth set of low G strings and kept the High A or first string out. I’ve seen the Romero Baby Baritone strings. I guess I should experiment….a little…more sonic possibilities. Video sounds good. I’ve always played tenor……coming from guitar. Once I got my head around chord shapes and the relationship between strings in normal GCEA……I got it. I’ve experimented with Low G after playing high g for a long while. Now I turn down half a step to b Flat which suits me fine playing by myself. Thanks for video. It would be cool to hear the Pono MT played one after another in low GCEA then in Baby Baritone set up, and icing on cake would be GCEA down a half step. Thanks for pointing out possibilities.

I have a Pono AT as well as a Pono MTD-SP so I see one of these as a Baby baritone in my future. I still love Pono and think the AT, MT, MTG series is one of the best values out there. Thanks for sharing Vic

I think the deal is that these are guitar length strings that the manufacturer doesn't bother to cut down to ukulele scale... I was wondering about that too, and I pretty sure this is why they are soooooo long.

I've just about worn through my first set. It's a bummer that the wound strings wear out so much faster than the clear ones do. But I love the sound so I'm probably going to order another set soon, I still love how they have transformed my Pono!

I didn’t know that a baby baritone conversion was even a thing. This is fantastic because I’m about to get my second tenor and have been wondering what to do with my current one so it doesn’t go unused. I much prefer the idea of making it a baritone instead of a low g tenor. Thanks for the information!

I didn’t know that a baby baritone conversion was even a thing. This is fantastic because I’m about to get my second tenor and have been wondering what to do with my current one so it doesn’t go unused. I much prefer the idea of making it a baritone instead of a low g tenor. Thanks for the information!

Right! Except... if you have three tenors, you can have on set up as a BB, one a low g and one a high g...

You are still one tenor short of perfection, IMHO, but you seem to be on the path towards that possibility!

Full disclosure: Yes, I do... And yes, they are...

Top Bottom