Did anyone else name their ukulele?

We name ships and weapons, why not musical instruments lol
That's a great point. Maybe my KTM-25 could be the HMCS KoAloha. Or the Warbird. It does look a bit like a Klingon warship after all...

For all of you frowning at naming an instrument... Who knew ukulele players could be so square? :)

I'm not a namer of instruments or cars (my instrument "names" are descriptive: "big blue", "little blue", "pinky", etc. and my car was named by the kid across the street), but I can understand the allure.

Would Lucille or Trigger have the same mystique if they didn't have names? I may have been more excited to see Trigger in concert than Willie :)

Trigger certainly has unique history, but Lucille's one of many.

I'm not a namer of instruments or cars (my instrument "names" are descriptive: "big blue", "little blue", "pinky", etc. and my car was named by the kid across the street), but I can understand the allure.

Would Lucille or Trigger have the same mystique if they didn't have names? I may have been more excited to see Trigger in concert than Willie :)

Lucille is married to Ricky and Trigger is Roy's horse. Many uke players are square not because of the ukulele, but because they (we) are old and cranky when not playing an uke.

Mine is Zuleika because I wanted an elegant feminine name.

If I someday get a ukubass I'll pick a male name. Unsure what. But something with suitable gravitas.

You know, going back to the ship naming, someone from the United Kingdom who ordered from the ukulele site could legitimately call their Uke HMS Ukulele (Her Majesty's Ship)

You know, going back to the ship naming, someone from the United Kingdom who ordered from the ukulele site could legitimately call their Uke HMS Ukulele (Her Majesty's Ship)
Hehee why not?

I've decided my future sopranissimo will be named Alexandra too

They already have names arriving so I use those. See my signature.

All my instruments, incl. old ones without names are given numbers to fit in my excel spreadsheet with all their data, strings used, date of string change, suitable cases og bags.
But then I have around 30, so I need a system. It also shows my stock of strings, with data, so I always have a spare(normally bought when on sale)

I once bought a uke with such horrible intonation I gave it a three-word name. I made sure I returned it before my grandkids could heard what I called it.

I once bought a uke with such horrible intonation I gave it a three-word name. I made sure I returned it before my grandkids could heard what I called it.
hahahaha... did the first word start with P and last word start with S, by chance?

For all of you frowning at naming an instrument... Who knew ukulele players could be so square? :)
who knew that the term "square" was still in use? :)

All my instruments, incl. old ones without names are given numbers to fit in my excel spreadsheet with all their data, strings used, date of string change, suitable cases og bags.
But then I have around 30, so I need a system. It also shows my stock of strings, with data, so I always have a spare(normally bought when on sale)

Holy crap. Yeah I only own one uke so I don't have that issue....YET haha

Lucille is married to Ricky and Trigger is Roy's horse. Many uke players are square not because of the ukulele, but because they (we) are old and cranky when not playing an uke.
Different Lucille, though now I'm picturing BB rushing into a burning chocolate factory to save his guitar! Thanks for the image! :)

This thread reminds me of a scene from "My Dinner with Andre" where Andre talks about a place where the refrigerator, stove and other appliances are given proper names, since you would treat them with respect and care if they were named, just as you treat your wife and children with respect.

I'm still not there.

We name ships and weapons, why not musical instruments lol
What do you mean "we" kemosabe? I have never named an inanimate object, I am guilty of calling them names though. 😁
Only joking with you Voran. If you and others give names to your instruments that is great. It's just not for me.

What do you mean "we" kemosabe? I have never named an inanimate object, I am guilty of calling them names though. 😁
Only joking with you Voran. If you and others give names to your instruments that is great. It's just not for me.
Haha, I admit I'm a bit of a weird person in some ways.

I only named my Martin cherry soprano, "Cherry Pie."

I had a car with that name. We just called it by its initials, the POS

Huh. I didn't realize so many folks named their ukes. Are the names for yourselves or are they used in conversation with partners, friends, and others?

I feel like I better understand the need to name shared, communal things, like ships or buildings or streets, since it helps differentiate them in conversation in a community. But outside of conversation (with others or even oneself), it seems counterintuitive to name things.

Huh. I didn't realize so many folks named their ukes. Are the names for yourselves or are they used in conversation with partners, friends, and others?

I feel like I better understand the need to name shared, communal things, like ships or buildings or streets, since it helps differentiate them in conversation in a community. But outside of conversation (with others or even oneself), it seems counterintuitive to name things.
When you own multiples of a thing it’s natural to want to name each one. Especially things as personal as musical instruments.

'Zuleika' is very personal to me. I got her at a time when COVID was ruining my mental health and having my first ever ukulele really cheered me up. I still remember joyfully snatching her from the packaging and playing a volley of random notes.

Top Bottom