Difference between cheap and expensive piezos?

GF1

I'm thinking about electrifying a ukulele, and I was wondering if anyone knew - or could point me in the direction to find out - what the difference is between cheap and expensive under-saddle, passive piezo pick-up options.

The science behind it seems fairly established and unchanging, and I can't see any literature that implies there are better/worse piezo crytsals to make the pick up from.

There seems to be a range of options from 5GBP unbranded models from AliExpress, a well-regarded 15GBP option from Artec (the Artec PP-404U) , up to the 100GBP-150GBP options from Fishman and Misi.

I'm tempted to get the Artec but just wanted to know if anyone had any good info on the differences.

Thanks a lot.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
I'm curious about this as well. Not that I'm ever going to install my own pickup. Does the 5GBP to 100GBP make a difference in sound? I would think so. But that doesn't mean it does in practice.

GF2

@Kenn2018 I wrote this a couple of weeks ago and it didn't get posted due to a problem with the forum (which meant my posts went into a queue to be approved by moderators), so I had to start this new account and repost this thread here.

Now it would appear some of the old posts that got held up are now being approved (seemingly in a bit of a haphazard fashion).

This is all guesswork because there's been no communication whatsoever from the admins and/or mods. All just really bizarre! 😄