Differences between Aquila strings

I didn’t use any comma or special characters on this one. Ouch. Lost three full paragraphs. Simple question….I just tried New Nylgut for first time in years. I like Mimmo and Aquila and like to support. WhT is sonic difference and feel of super Nylgut to New Nylgut?
I was told Lava was just Super Nylgut with a oxide to colour? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, hope the migration to new software helps!

I don't know for sure as I haven't used Nylgut a lot, but I have recently put some Super Nylguts on one of my sopranos and am starting to like them after abandoning them for flourocarbon several years ago. I have been doing a lot of Googling lately about the difference between the "Supers" and the older "New Nylguts". Most of what I've found indicates that the supers are a little more articulate and a little more transparent (in that you can hear the tone of the individual instrument charactoristics and little more than your could with the "new"). There are a couple video's out there comparing them, but I had to Google a bit to find them.

Again, I'm really speaking more from my interpretation of what I've read and heard on YouTube in my searches as opposed to personal experience. As always YMMV.

Last edited:
We could certainly ask Mimmo to summarize the lines and differences as they stand…like Bonanza Ukulele and Kanile’a, Aquila is a “tinkering” company that is always working to find improvements in their product. I like them very much, though I like the sound and feel of fluorocarbons better than Nylgut (In my mind, Sugar has a lot of the same sound and feel as a fluorocarbon, but the thickness of a Nylgut. I could be crazy). And I have stayed away from Reds these past 5 years as I fear breaking expensive strings while installing them (I know this is better, but I still occasionally see people that write posts about it happening to them on other platforms). I guess the Lavas are now the Martin Polygut. And there was a time that Aquila supplied some of the D’Addario strings, but I am not sure if that is true any more!

I think a line that was called Carbonblack is what is now Martin polygut. They were based on the Reds. You can still buy Lavas but Carbonblack are discontinued.

Like CPG, after having used fluorocarbon for a long time, I have come to really enjoy the sound and feel of Aquilas. I don't know the differences between the various flavors. I have been using Nyltechs which D'Addario make as a collaboration with Aquila.

Aquila have a line chart showing brightness, singability., sustain etc. And they show Super being more of over the new Nylgut. So, I’ll order some Supers on line S local stores only have the New Nylgut. I will try Red and although initially, I had breakage problem, that was two formulas ago. Amos, by pre stretching and checking nut, saddle and tuner “Ho,es” for sharp edges fixed my problems with breakage. I like the idea of a gift box, with four of five sets and a bit of a deal but seems only Aquila themselves sell them. Mid love to see Other vendors sell them.

And don’t forget, Aquila strings are very well priced. Only Oasis with their double set in a box ( my standard go to string) offer as good a value.

Like CPG, after having used fluorocarbon for a long time, I have come to really enjoy the sound and feel of Aquilas. I don't know the differences between the various flavors. I have been using Nyltechs which D'Addario make as a collaboration with Aquila.

One thing I've noticed that I also am liking about the Nylguts, that I hadn't appreciated in the past, is you can bend notes really nicely with them. Even on a soprano the bends sustain reasonbly well. I mean, bending isn't really necessary with must the stuff I like to play, but it's nice to have the option to do so. Off course, the downside is you are more likely to accidently bend a note out of tune, but I am finding the super nylguts balance that downside with bendibilty nicely.

I can't speak for the sound quality but one of the features of Super Nylguts compared to the regular ones is that they are more resilient in terms of preventing the string getting cut by sharp edges on nuts and saddles. Whether or not that has an effect on tuning stability or stiffness/tension or sound, etc., I really don't know. Now that I think about it, that factor might be the reason why I have been avoiding them because I really don't like the feel of Super Nylguts. They feel very rough on my fingers. I probably should try the regular Nylguts and see if they have the same kind of feel.

I guess the Lavas are now the Martin Polygut.

I think a line that was called Carbonblack is what is now Martin polygut. They were based on the Reds. You can still buy Lavas but Carbonblack are discontinued.

Ziret is correct here. Aquila used to have a Carbonblack line of strings but they were rebranded as the Martin Premium Polygut strings. They are remarkable similar to Aquila Reds in feel which I hate. They both feel very rough as well but in a different way to the Super Nylguts. It's as if they have some sort of coating of something that causes friction between the strings and fingers. I know that the Reds have some copper powder applied to them but I wouldn't think the Polyguts are treated with anything, but what do I know...

I didn’t use any comma or special characters on this one. Ouch. Lost three full paragraphs. Simple question….I just tried New Nylgut for first time in years. I like Mimmo and Aquila and like to support. WhT is sonic difference and feel of super Nylgut to New Nylgut?
I was told Lava was just Super Nylgut with a oxide to colour? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, hope the migration to new software helps!

I’m running Super Nylgut on a decent concert Uke (Ohana CK35) and a very basic Soprano Uke (an old Mahalo U30) , I’m running New Nylgut on a basic Soprano (Brunswick BU-4S), so three different Ukes and two different types of string.

For some years I left Aquila alone (I felt that there were even better strings to use), then the very basic Soprano came into my hands and needed replacement strings. I had some previously removed Super Nylgut strings in my stock of bits so I used those on the basic Soprano and to be honest they sounded much better than I had expected them to do. I had Martins on my secondhand Concert Uke and they were fine, but the standard fit on that Uke is now Super Nylgut so I gave a set a go and am pleased with the results - they’re a good fit with that instrument. The New Nylgut on the basic Soprano sounds fine - they’re good strings - but I know that that M600’s would sound better (I’ve already had them on an identical Uke) and I’m pretty sure that Super Nylgut would sound at least slightly better and be well worth the slightly higher price ticket.
[Edit. I later swooped the New Nylguts on the Brunswick for some spare Martin M600’s and am very pleased with the result - a quite noticeably better string match for that Uke.]

It’s hard to compare the New and Super versions but somehow the Super has a fuller sound that suits my style of play (mostly fingerpicking), I’ve bought additional packets of the Supers but wouldn’t bother buying the New Nylgut again. That said New Nylgut might not now be the best and most popular string but IMHO they work well on laminates, they sound fine and they last for a very long time. The Supers are just a development on the standard form and for me they have just about tipped the balance back towards using Aquila again. YMMV.

I believe that Lava and Super are essentially the same string but just a different colour.

I believe that Reds now have iron rather than copper powder added to them and that they have gone through at least three design iterations - Mimmo did give details hear on UU once but I’d struggle to find them again. I’ve not tried Reds and wouldn’t unless I could be sure of what iteration of string I was getting.

Last edited:
I like the Aquilla Sugar Strings. I will “stick” with them for now as I think they sound “sweet.” :smileybounce:

Last edited:
All great comments. I think my next order with Strings by mail I will add Super, Sugars, Reds on it. It did try the Aldrine string AO/AQ I think they are called. I may try them as I did like the, the one time I tried them. As Lava are pretty much Super I’ll pass on the,.

I put the new Nylgut on my solid Spruce top Tiny Tenor….as you know, the back and sides are laminate mahogany and these are not maid anymore. I think Hanie. Ho has his all Laminate mahogany ST TT to fill this void.

Anyways, I will cycle the tape three strings to compare with New Nylgut and post down the road.

I must say, the New Nylgut, sound good on this TT and I Am impressed as I was getting board with all my tenor using pretty much the same fluro.

I forgot that carbon black……..became exclusive to Martin with their polyglot. I did like the ones I tried so will go there again and perhaps Martin M600 or 620s. I should mention that I put Concert Aquila New Nylgut on my tiny tenor. Just experimenting with concert on tenor for the tension. I do like the fit. More later.

My first good uke came with New Nylgut which I liked but when one broke I switched to Titanium which I disliked. Then in order to get a low G I got a set of Super Nylgut which I like. However when one of those broke I put on one of the spare New Nylguts and I'd say that it is a bit thinner and a bit brighter, but not to the extent that I feel a need to get a complete new set. I also have a set of New Nylgut on my Kamaka six string and I love it has perfect mix of brightness and punch. I don't think that they have a Super Nylgut set for this. So that is my non-systematic observation, where choice of string set was totally determined by availability of low G and six string sets. If I had to just pick a regular set I would probably go for New Nylgut as they seem a bit thinner and brighter which I like.

Last edited:
I like the Aquilla Sugar Strings. I had them on my Pono taropatch and really enjoyed them but when I restrung last time, I had 3 of them break and just got tired of fooling with them. I restrung eventually with Martin 600's which I also like on that uke.

I'd like to share my experience with these strings.

the first difference, IMHO, is the overall tension:

the Super Nylgut are softer, they have less tension (even if the A and G string have the same gauge) and it's more noticeable on the A string: usually most sets of strings have the A string with a lot of tension, making it harder to fret and a bit less "precise".
with the SN I've always found that the A string is easier to fret in every position.

the New Nylgut have more tension, the A string is a bit harder.

this thing is also related to the overall sound:

Super Nylgut have less volume and they "bark" less, they have a softer sound, less "harsh", and compared to the New Nylgut they are less "vintage", if the term is right.

just to explain: when I use the NN I feel that the ukulele has a fast attack on every note, and it sends me to those barky vintage ukulele sounds. It's a lot easier to get huge volume from them, like if only caressing the strings makes them scream.
I have a Mahimahi S3 (solid mahogany) that, after seven years of hard playing, with the NN screams as soon as I watch it :D

with the SN that fast attack is lost, the strings sing in a more open way, and while still keeping a vintage vibe, they aren't not so extreme, allowing softer dynamics easily, but due to the softer tension, they don't spark on the higher dynamics.

the softer tension, in my opinion, makes them less precise on the higher frets, because when fretting around the 9th or 12th fret, they slip under the fingers against the finger picking or the strumming, causing some slippery notes or some intonation problems.
up to the 5th/7th fret the Super Nylgut are wonderful, higher a bit less, but on a Soprano it's not that usual to go up to the 12th fret.

on the strumming side, the fast attack of the New Nylgut gives an "in the face" kind of sound, while the Super Nylgut gives a bassier sound.

for example: my sister has a Makala Dolphin, laminated, with a narrow body, and the factory Super Nylgut make it sings like a real instrument, and not a toy, with a full and deep sound.

on my solid mahogany ukuleles, with a deeper body and full sound on their own, the Super Nylgut tend to be muddy while strumming, but sweet sounding in finger picking.

so, on my sopranos I prefer the New Nylgut, I can hear better the "canto" notes even strumming hard, I can beat them harder and get a lot of sound with firmer strings.
if I was only looking for overall comfort, I'd pick the Super, but trying them head-to-head made me tend for the New.

PS: one thing to remember about nylguts is that they give the "real sound" after they are stabilized, in a couple of days. the first hours don't give you the actual sound, but once they are stabilized, here's the Aquila's scream.

how I've noticed that? simply because they clearly change the way they sound after a couple of days, when they don't go out of tune anymore.

in the last days in particular I tried different strings on my Kiwaya KTS4 bought a couple of months ago: it came with GHS black nylon strings, which I like, but I had this "compulsive-string-switching" after deciding, and I' noticed that when I switched back to the GHS, they always gave me the exact same sound, less stretching and fast tuning.

the Aquila (both New and Super) took more time to stretch while stringing, and a bit more time to stabilize the tuning. in the first two days they sounded dull and hard, but then, on the third day, wow!
bright and lively, driving the top like no other strings.

give them some time to settle in, and then they'll sound good, if you like that vintage sound.

PS: I'm waiting for them to settle in on my tenor. they are a bit harder than the GHS (same black nylon of the Kiwaya, a soprano/concert set), which on this ukulele I liked a lot, but the sound was too thin and guitar-like, I still prefer a punchier sound with more meat on the bass.
by far (I strung them yesterday) the sound is good, thick and hard, but the high strings are a bit dull. I'll check if they change.

It is also notable that New Nylgut offers the largest number of options and variations for people who like different tunings or have ukes that are not one of the three 4 string sizes.

Reactions: EDW
We could certainly ask Mimmo to summarize the lines and differences as they stand…like Bonanza Ukulele and Kanile’a, Aquila is a “tinkering” company that is always working to find improvements in their product. I like them very much, though I like the sound and feel of fluorocarbons better than Nylgut (In my mind, Sugar has a lot of the same sound and feel as a fluorocarbon, but the thickness of a Nylgut. I could be crazy). And I have stayed away from Reds these past 5 years as I fear breaking expensive strings while installing them (I know this is better, but I still occasionally see people that write posts about it happening to them on other platforms). I guess the Lavas are now the Martin Polygut. And there was a time that Aquila supplied some of the D’Addario strings, but I am not sure if that is true any more!
I’ve had great experience with Reds. To my ear, I like them better than FC. I’ve never had a breakage issue. I think a lot of the criticism of Reds is unfounded. Try them. You might be surprised! You might even like them!

Top Bottom