disappointed in my new Kamaka HF-2 Concert Ukulele

Again, I'd try fluorocarbons on that uke. The Kamaka ukes I've tried had a rather one dimensional tone, which I attribute to the nylon strings. As Dohle said above, he probably matched up the D'Addario strings to what was on there. My Kanile'a has Living Water, my KoAloha has KoAloha strings which UKESA sells, my other koa ukes have Uke Logic and Pepe Romero strings, all of which sound very rich. You can probably call him and ask which strings he put on, that would give you a better idea as to where you need to go with strings. D'Addario makes several different kinds, as stated above. Though they're known to be good strings, they were never my favorites when I played guitar, so I haven't tried any for my ukes. The Kamaka uke is well built, and koa is a wonderful tonewood, so it should just be a matter of getting the right strings and letting the uke open up. Oh, and new strings take a while to settle in and sound their best. Mine are often a tad quiet at first. Play that uke, keep it in a humidified case, and see if it changes in a couple weeks. Meanwhile, get a couple different sets of fluoros ready to try out. The right strings can transform the sound of a uke.

I like the black nylon strings on Kamakas. I know some people who prefer higher tension nylon or fluorocarbon strings. Really depends on what tone you like and your playing style.

In my prior post I forgot to mention that the link to StringsByMail that I included in that post will take you directly to their simple form for asking string advice. They always answer promptly.

P.S. I wish I had a Kamaka to fuss with.

This kinda makes me think....I wonder why the oldest ukulele builder in the world would use a substandard string set?
Is it saving them any money?
This is the third complaint I've heard/read lately on a K brand ukulele. Of course, there are thousands out there with no problems.

This kinda makes me think....I wonder why the oldest ukulele builder in the world would use a substandard string set?
This is the third complaint I've heard/read lately on a K brand ukulele. Of course, there are thousands out there with no problems.
I asked them when I was at my first factory tour and their answer was that the majority of people who play Kamaka really like their strings, as many are professional players who rely on those strings to get their sound across on stage or in studio. So the issue is more likely that those who complain have not yet developed the skill to make the uke sound great at professional level. For amateurs where stage performance is not of importance lower quality strings like fishing line that appear easier are perfectly suitable.

My understanding is that many professional players who record prefer nylon strings. Not that they are inferior, just a different purpose.

D'addario makes great strings of several types -- titanium, Nyltech, Pro-Arte Custom Extruded (Nylon), clear nylon, & fluorocarbon, as I recall. Which type was put on your ukulele?

Matching an ukulele with "the best strings" involves making a 3-party love match between (1) the strings (company, composition, etc), (2) the specific ukulele, & (3) the specific player's own unique pair of ears.

However, not all players enjoy trying several different brands of strings. In which case, the only "rules of thumb" I know of are::
(A) fluorocarbons are loud & bright
(B) nylons are not as loud but a tad sweeter
(C) when it comes to low G VS high G, to heck with tradition -- choose the one that makes your ears smile
[D) if in doubt, ask a PRO! To wit, contact StringsByMail at THIS URL. Tell them your story with the same details you included in writing this thread -- namely, (1) your ukulele's size, wood, make & model, (2) your skills, (3) your preferences, (4) etc etc etc. Then ask them to sell you their "scientifically best estimate" as to whichever set of strings you & your ukulele will probably like. I did that when I was starting out & their suggestion was spot on.
thanks I was considering contacting to recommend a set of strings.

My understanding is that many professional players who record prefer nylon strings. Not that they are inferior, just a different purpose.
I tried one set of nylon strings, hated em. I'll never be a professional musician....

Kamaka uses D'Addario black nylon strings. Jake Shimabukuro also uses D'Addario black nylon strings, just higher tension than the stock Kamaka strings. Lower tension strings are easier for strumming, which is probably what most ukulele players to (Kamaka or other brands).

I wouldn't call them substandard. Nylon strings are much more bendy and stretchy than fluorocarbons or nylguts which is something that some players might not be used to. Additionally, black nylons in particular typically sound quite warm and lack sustain in the higher frequencies which is why you often need to dig into them more in order to get a proper tone. The tone and fell of the strings is definitely not for everyone but they're still quality strings.

Kamaka used to sell/use their own brand of strings. I don't remember who they partnered with to produce them. I do not think I heard many complimentary reviews of them. When I bought my HF-3 tenor, HMS put Worth Clears on it with a low G. I used Living Waters on it as well.

I dislike Nylon strings and their derivatives. They seem harsh and have a "whang" sound to them. But that's just me. I know many, many excellent players who love them and make wonderful music with them. And, if I'm not mistaken, Nylons outsell fluorocarbons by a wide margin. (Read this a few years ago.)

I like to know what strings came with a tenor I purchased. I use it as a baseline to try different strings on it. If I lose my way, I can always return to the ones that were on it and try some others. Especially if it has wound Strings for a Low-G or C. I am not as familiar with them as I am with plain strings.

Fluorocarbons sound and play best to me. I like the sound and, in general, they are easier on my fingers to play. There's no right or wrong. It's a personal choice.

Kamaka probably worked out a deal with a string supplier/mfg. to use their strings on new Kamakas. It would be a prestigious association for the string company to be used by Kamaka. If the Kamaka family find a string they like on their instruments that are made by a company, why not work out an arrangement?

They still do.

Here're the diameters. I wonder if they are the same as D'Addario black nylon strings.
The gauges on that set are almost identical to the D'Addario soprano black nylon set except for the 2nd and 4th strings which are about .001 off.

I've compared the Kamaka and D'Addario black nylon sets on a Kamaka soprano and I couldn't tell the difference, neither with sound nor feel. If I had to guess I'd say it's D'Addario who make the Kamaka strings but it could be some other major string manufacturer as well such as GHS.

Aside from getting the action the way you like it. Strings can make a huge difference. I like Worth myself but there are many great brands out there.

Kamaka most certainly made some arrangement with a string supplier/mfg, but is there much prestige if nobody knows who they are (can't or don't advertise/publicize that fact)?

I have a pack of Kamaka strings from the mid 70s that say "Dupont black nylon".

Attachments

• IMG_20211012_065015541_copy_1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20211012_065015541_copy_1224x1632.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I went on the Kamaka factory tour a couple of years ago and Casey Kamaka said their strings are manufactured by D'Addario. There are a lot of string brands, but the number of companies that are actually manufacturing strings is small. D'Addario has a factory in New York state.

Top Bottom