Do you "name" your ukulele?

Never. Nor would I assign them a gender, because they don't have one. I think I appreciate my ukes as much as the next person, but I don't assign any imaginary qualities to them, they're musical instruments. I don't name my cars either, or surfboards, or tools, toasters, or shoes, and none have genders.

Each one has told me its name.

I call my vintage Martin, "Marty" once in a while, that's about it.

Kyle, I'm very sorry for your loss. I guess a uke could be "sexed" by knowing if the tree it came from was female or male...some employees of an ALF named my fave "Dreammaker" because it put a very anguished resident to sleep, when nothing else was working. I changed the name to "Ativan" cause I like that better...I haven't named any of my other ukes....both are concerts, and both are Kalas, so it's easier for my GF to know which one to grab if I ask her to meet me and bring one of my ukes to a jam session.....

Maybe I'll call them all "KITTY"
They're just wild things,
like the poor old no name slobs the dogs have been known to eat.....
kitty.jpg

Last edited:
Although I don't feel genders with them. I call one "My Beater" cause it was not very expensive and I wale on it a lot. My BanjoUke or Banjolele is called the "Old Man" as my dad had a similar one and another is called "Pricey" because it was pricey for me. The last one is just called Pineapple cuz thats what it is.

I called my uke : Lili.
It is because her full name is ukulele, (is it too lazy to think of a name? ;) )

The ukuleles I play most frequently now have names. My concert is called 'Paloma', and my soprano 'Pajaro'. This continues a tradition born with my 1996 Guild guitar Mariposa. Naming instruments strengthens the bond, to me, anyway.

i named mine after their brands, so i refer to them as kala, oscar schmidt, and domino. i collectively call them "my babies", though. c:

I have Lana which means beautiful woman in Hawaiian and Honu which means green turtle in Hawaiian.

Lani is a red Mahalo soprano and Honu is a green Kala exotic Concert. I guess Lani is female and Honu is male. I name my cars too. :)

I haven't named any of my ukes on purpose. However, someone named one of them by accident.

I was with some musicians, one of whose tongue got a bit tangled when she asked me if I was going to play something on my ukulele; it came out as "your lukulele." It was inevitable that the uke be dubbed Luke. Normally, I am not made happy by cutesy names such as "Luke the Uke," but sometimes, these things happen. Besides, I have a song about Luke Skywalker. It's all good.

Felix, Luke, Charlie, and Eloise.

I don't really use their names though. The only one that gets used on a semi-regular basis is Eloise, and only because the uke in question is a vintage (circa 1920's) one that I inherited from a great aunt named, you guessed it, Eloise :)

My guitar and banjo also have names, Dexter and Mr. Declan Banjo, but like most of the ukes, I never really refer to them by name.

My upright bass doesn't have a name.

For me, some of the names are natural, and some are forced. But I like giving them names regardless.

Last edited:
I'm a little embarrassed sniffing the hole of my uke as is, naming it would make that an impossibility in any kind of public environ.

One of my ukes was just named today! This is my first instrument with a name beyond the model designation. I have always felt a name should come about organically, like a nickname does (e.g., refer to Howard's astronaut nickname on "The Big Bang Theory").

I was playing the Grateful Dead song, "Ripple", with a group of friends, and one of the guys said: "Ripple, just like on your ukulele", referring to the curly koa on my Kanile'a tenor. So, "Ripple" it is :)

Absolutely not!

I much prefer to get ukulaid anonymously...

Top Bottom