Do you "name" your ukulele?

janeray1940

It happened again last night - uke group member referred to her uke by name (with no reference to it being a ukulele) and I had NO IDEA what she was talking about. Sheesh! It's hard enough to keep HUMAN uke group members names sorted out.

OldePhart

It happened again last night - uke group member referred to her uke by name (with no reference to it being a ukulele) and I had NO IDEA what she was talking about. Sheesh! It's hard enough to keep HUMAN uke group members names sorted out.

Exactly!

John

aquadan

I don't name my ukes, but I name my computers after uke brands. So I have pono, kamaka, bettah, koolau, and koaloha right now. And no I don't own most of those makers sadly.

Uke-Conn

I don't generally name my inanimate objects, but I'm seriously considering calling my new KPK concert Johnny B. Good because it plays just like a ringin' a bell . . . .

actadh

I am not particularly original as my ukuleles are referred to by their characteristics. My little soprano has Aloha written on it and has a happy sound when I strum it, so that is the name I call it. My concert has dragonflies around the sound hole, so I call it the Dragonfly.

coolkayaker1

I am not particularly original as my ukuleles are referred to by their characteristics.
I, too, name ukes by characteristics. My Martin 3 is the "expensive" one. My Mya Moe concert is my "blue grassy" one. And my Silvercreek Koloa is my "shitbox".

consitter

I, too, name ukes by characteristics. My Martin 3 is the "expensive" one. My Mya Moe concert is my "blue grassy" one. And my Silvercreek Koloa is my "shitbox".

I take it you don't make a recommendation for a Silvercreek Koloa then?

Kevin B

IMG_1455.jpgI named the concert banjo uke I built the "Diamond King." It has diamond fret markers and a Les Paul Crown on the peghead.

Last edited:

Lillymo

I don’t exactly name my ukuleles but I put dog tags on my ukulele cases. This started when I lost my keys and had a tag made with a name I might give a dog (if I had one) and my phone number. I didn’t want to put my full name and address on my keychain, who wants uninvited visitors? This works great for lost keys so I started doing the same thing with my ukuleles. It also helps distinguish one ukulele from another if the cases are similar. The cases might be labeled Sparky, Scout, Hazel, and Felix - but really, they’re all just ukuleles.

donboody

Of the hundred or so ukuleles that we have collected and owned, I have named only one. The Graziano Baritone Ukulele that is my current and only performance instrument. I named it Ella...

Nice looking uke for sure

donboody

No disrespect to anyone, but I've personally always felt a little silly naming inanimate objects like cars or guitars, etc. Willing to accept that might be due to the fact I can never think of cool names.

deadpool

No disrespect to anyone, but I've personally always felt a little silly naming inanimate objects like cars or guitars, etc. Willing to accept that might be due to the fact I can never think of cool names.
Exactly!! Naming musical instruments, (unless you're BB King) is for wankers (tongue firmly in cheek)

Wiggy

Only one. An Ohana PKT-25G that I call "Princess" after the song by Annette Funicello:

rustydusty

The only thing I name are my boats. My cars (I build hot rods) are simply called by their make and year. Guitars and ukeleles are called by their brand, harmonicas by their key and type such as "A blues" or " C chromatic", "G tremolo" etc...

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
B.B. King named all his guitars Lucille. This site explains why.

I have several ukes but the only one I named is my Kanile'a super tenor. I named it Rosemary, because it sings sweet and mellow, like Rosemary Clooney did.